Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies With Movies In 'Em

nickdimeo

Okay, so I didn't know how to phrase the topic very well for this post but what I'm driving at is this...Have you seen a movie where characters in that movie view a real movie? I just watched Fast Workers starring John Gilbert and in that picture Gilbert goes to the theater to see Laughing Sinners starring Joan Crawford. Speaking of Joan Crawford, in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane she views Sadie McKee. Any more that you can think of?

In Hannah and her Sisters, a Marx Brothers film and an Astaire-Rogers film are viewed by the Woody Allen character. Recall that he played a hyprochrondiac who by film's end concluded that simple pleasures (such as watching these movies) can stave off morbid ruminations about sickness and death (or something like that). I can't name the movies, though. Maybe someone else can.

Oh, and of course Casablanca in Play it Again, Sam. Woody Allen was so into the 40s, I wouldn't be surprised if there were other examples. Purple Rose doesn't count since the other movie was a made up one.

In Annie Hall, the Woody Allen (I should know his name, Singer?) character takes his niece to The Sorrow and the Pity but I can't remember whether or not they were actually inside the theatre at any time.

The prisoners in The Shawshank Redemption watch Gilda.

Top Hat is featured prominently in The Green Mile.

In Annie, Daddy Warbucks rents out Radio City Music Hall (complete, of course, with elaborate song and dance number) so that he, his secretary Grace, and Annie can have it to themselves to watch Camille.

There's a scene in Splendor in the Grass where Bud and his friend are watching a silent movie. It looks like a real movie, but I can't identify it.

There was a bit of "Cheek to Cheek" (Top Hat) at the end of Purple Rose of Cairo, as Celia escapes her bleak existence after the movie persona man has left her.

I remember reading once on a web commenter?s list of annoying endings:

The Purple Rose of Cairo--Woody Allen completely backhands the audience and the Mia Farrow character, and it's too bitter. Much better if she'd been sitting in the movie and heard Astaire?s voice say "Celia?" She looks up....

Oh, and also, the movie clips you see in Rain Man are from The Barkleys of Broadway. If you know the Astaire-Rogers movie as intimately as I, you realize there is a continuity mistake in the way a series of glimpses of it are shown (can't remember precisely what it is, and I'm not overly concerned--it's just fun to notice things like that).

In Two Weeks in Another Town, the filmakers depicted in the movie are viewing one of their great works from the past--and it's The Bad and the Beautiful (also directed by Vincente Minnelli).

In the movie "The Last Picture Show" the scant audience in the Royal Theater is watching "Red River" with John Wayne.

In the movie "Lost in Yonkers", Mercedes Ruehl in watching "Now, Voyager" in the local movie theater and in "Summer of '42" the audience is also watching "Now, Voyager".

Mongo

Many films are shown in clip forms on a television during a sex scene in Midnight Cowboy. I think Dark Victory was one of them.

Many, many classic Fox films are played in clips in the awful Myra Breckinridge. Loretta Young successfully sued to have her clips removed from the picture.