Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Barbara Stanwyck Day 8/5

speedracer5

Before Barbara Stanwyck day starts, can anyone suggest which films I should DVR? I know people will say "All of them," but, I've got a bunch of stuff on there already and share with other people, so I don't want to hog all the space.  I've seen Cry Wolf (It has my boy Errol, of course I've seen it) and There's Always Tomorrow.  I've also seen Stella Dallas; but I didn't pay attention very well.

So far, I'm DVR-ing:

Stella Dallas (which I've seen before, but I didn't watch it closely, so I'm going to try again)

The Two Mrs. Carrolls (I am interested in the Bogart/Stanwyck pairing)

Ball of Fire

Here's the schedule:

Illicit

Stella Dallas

Breakfast for Two

The Gay Sisters

Lady of Burlesque

The Two Mrs. Carrolls

Cry Wolf

Meet John Doe

Ball of Fire

Night Nurse

There's Always Tomorrow

The Man With a Cloak

To Please a Lady

Annie Oakley

Night Nurse is an excellent Pre-Code featuring an early appearance of Clark Gable as a pretty nasty fellow. And I have had Lady Of Burlesque highly recommended to me, so I am going to be sure to catch that one.

Night Nurse is an excellent Pre-Code featuring an early appearance of Clark Gable as a pretty nasty fellow. And I have had Lady Of Burlesque highly recommended to me, so I am going to be sure to catch that one.

I was considering "Night Nurse" as well.  If I don't catch it this month, it's airing next month as part of the Friday Spotlights of PreCode films.  I was thinking of Lady of Burlesque as well.  I may add that one.  Some of the Stanwyck movies I've been wanting to see aren't included this go around.  Hopefully they air soon.  I'm recording Baby Face next month.

I've seen al but two of these films and since it's a little late to recommend Stella Dallas (it's starting shortly but it's very good) the one I would suggest watching or recording is There's Always Tomorrow. It stars her with Fred MacMurray as a long lost love and Joan Bennett as his wife. Great film.

This is one of those days when I wish I had amnesia.   It's filled with movies I love, but I've seen them all so many times that I think I'll save up my excess viewing energy for Jeanne Moreau on Friday.  I only wish that they'd be able to get The File on Thelma Jordan and No Man of Her Own, two of her best films that seem to be permanently blocked for licensing reasons.  At least you can catch Thelma Jordan on YouTube, but you have to buy the DVD to see the other one.

Do NOT miss Meet John Doe.

One of the great Capra films with, as of the last few broadcasts on TCM, a beautifully retored print of a film that for too long was a public domain misery to view.

I know you don't care for Gary Cooper but this film has one of his best performances, as well. Who knows, you may change your mind about him, to a degree. This man could act just with his eyes, as this film amply demonstrates.

By the way, Stanwyck is very good in it, as well.

Before Barbara Stanwyck day starts, can anyone suggest which films I should DVR? I know people will say "All of them," but, I've got a bunch of stuff on there already and share with other people, so I don't want to hog all the space.  I've seen Cry Wolf (It has my boy Errol, of course I've seen it) and There's Always Tomorrow.  I've also seen Stella Dallas; but I didn't pay attention very well.

So far, I'm DVR-ing:

Stella Dallas (which I've seen before, but I didn't watch it closely, so I'm going to try again)

The Two Mrs. Carrolls (I am interested in the Bogart/Stanwyck pairing)

Ball of Fire

Here's the schedule:

Illicit

Stella Dallas

Breakfast for Two

The Gay Sisters

Lady of Burlesque

The Two Mrs. Carrolls

Cry Wolf

Meet John Doe

Ball of Fire

Night Nurse

There's Always Tomorrow

The Man With a Cloak

To Please a Lady

Annie Oakley

Don't miss BREAKFAST FOR TWO, a funny screwball comedy co-starring Herbert Marshall. Undeservedly obscure.

Here are my picks and pans:

ILLICIT-- pan. It's one of her worst pre-codes.

STELLA DALLAS-- pick. TCM plays it too much but it is worth watching.

BREAKFAST FOR TWO-- pick. Though Stanwyck is not the best thing in it. She is outshined by Glenda Farrell, and Donald Meek has a very funny bit as a minister.

THE GAY SISTERS-- pick. But it's slow-moving and contrived. Worth it, though, for her pairing with George Brent.

LADY OF BURLESQUE-- pan. Some people really enjoy this film, but TCM usually airs an inferior quality print (it is in the public domain) and quite frankly I don't feel the story holds up very well.

THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS-- pick. Story's a rip-off of SUSPICION and GASLIGHT but Stanwyck and Bogart make it work.

CRY WOLF-- pick. Great atmosphere. Richard Basehart steals the show.

MEET JOHN DOE-- pick. The last of four films Stanwyck made with Frank Capra.

BALL OF FIRE-- pick. Overplayed by TCM but one of those films you cannot really tire of watching. The Technicolor remake with Danny Kaye (in Coop's role) and Virginia Mayo (in Stanwyck's role) is just as good.

NIGHT NURSE-- pick. Very well-made though costar Clark Gable (in an early role) has limited screentime.

THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW-- pick. The last of four she made with Fred MacMurray. This one is helped considerably by the presence of Joan Bennett.

THE MAN WITH A CLOAK-- pick. Contrived and belabored, but brimming with atmosphere. Stanwyck is miscast, but she still manages to pull it off.

TO PLEASE A LADY-- pick. She is reunited with Gable after twenty years. It's not a classic, but it's enjoyable. Adolphe Menjou, her costar in FORBIDDEN, is also on hand.

ANNIE OAKLEY-- pick. One of her best films from the 1930s. Played often by TCM but always enjoyable.

Do NOT miss Meet John Doe.

One of the great Capra films with, as of the last few broadcasts on TCM, a beautifully retored print of a film that for too long was a public domain misery to view.

I know you don't care for Gary Cooper but this film has one of his best performances, as well. Who knows, you may change your mind about him, to a degree. This man could act just with his eyes, as this film amply demonstrates.

By the way, Stanwyck is very good in it, as well.

Stanwyck is very good in it,  as well?   Stanwyck is great in this film and she provides 90% of the energy in the film.  That is not a knock on low key Gary Cooper.   He is a good fit for the role and his low key approach to the character plays well off of Stanwyck's high energy,  out for myself approach.     But now that I'm thinking of this movie it may fit the great movie \ bad ending thread.

Wow.  I am loving this day.  I have to admit, I came rather late to the Barbara Stanwyck fan club  --  To me, she was just that lady in re-runs of "The Big Valley."  Pretty cool looking (and acting) for an "older lady" but not on my radar.  Fabulous in "Double Indemnity," sure, but I had no idea until I was exposed to her incredible pre-code and Capra (and I am NO Capra fan) films just how powerful and versatile she was.  She has totally replaced Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn as my "go to" actress  -- someone who simply can do anything and do it perfectly. Love you still Davis, Hepburn and Myrna Loy but Stanwyck is in a class by herself.

Lydecker

Stanwyck is very good in it,  as well?   Stanwyck is great in this film and she provides 90% of the energy in the film.  That is not a knock on low key Gary Cooper.   He is a good fit for the role and his low key approach to the character plays well off of Stanwyck's high energy,  out for myself approach.     But now that I'm thinking of this movie it may fit the great movie \ bad ending thread.

James, there's more than enough Stanwyck fans on this boards to go crazy over her performances without my joining in with them. I thought I'd emphasize the crucial contribution of Coop to Meet John Doe. This film might well have floundered without him in the lead role. Stanwyck is very good, but I could see her being effectively replaced by a couple of other actresses (such as Jean Arthur, maybe even Roz Russell) in her role as the reporter, and it still would have been a good film. Cooper, on the other hand, was the perfect actor to play the lead, and it would, in all likelihood,  not have been as strong a film without him.

[stanwyck]'s obviously tcm's favorite pet film actress. :wub:

Yep, and for the same reason that Eisenhower is  America's favorite WWII general.  For the same reason that baseball historians consider Babe Ruth to be the greatest all-around ballplayer. For the same reason that historians generally rate Abe Lincoln as the greatest president.  For the same reason that most true steak aficionados prefer their meat to be cooked rare and juicy. 

It's not all that complicated.  Some facts are simply beyond any reasonable dispute.

71861796-man-playing-dart-an-other-man-d

(That's me over there on the right.)

James, there's more than enough Stanwyck fans on this boards to go crazy over her performances without my joining in with them. I thought I'd emphasize the crucial contribution of Coop to Meet John Doe. This film might well have floundered without him in the lead role. Stanwyck is very good, but I could see her being effectively replaced by a couple of other actresses (such as Jean Arthur, maybe even Roz Russell) in her role as the reporter, and it still would have been a good film. Cooper, on the other hand, was the perfect actor to play the lead, and it would, in all likelihood,  not have been as strong a film without him.

We agree here  (and yea,  I was waving the flag for Babs!).   I also was going to mention Jean Arthur since the Stanwyck role is similar to the type of role Arthur placed in Capra films.     Cooper was indeed perfect for the role.   Like I said his low key persona (which I love but some find boring),  was just right for our man John Doe.  

[stanwyck]'s obviously tcm's favorite pet film actress. :wub:

Yep, and for the same reason that Eisenhower is  America's favorite WWII general.  For the same reason that baseball historians consider Babe Ruth to be the greatest all-around ballplayer. For the same reason that historians generally rate Abe Lincoln as the greatest president.  For the same reason that most true steak aficionados prefer their meat to be cooked rare and juicy. 

It's not all that complicated.  Some facts are simply beyond any reasonable dispute.

71861796-man-playing-dart-an-other-man-d

(That's me over there on the right.)

Obviously Barbara Stanwyck was a terrific actress. I just wish she coulda been a tad more Doris Day-ish. :)

We agree here  (and yea,  I was waving the flag for Babs!).   I also was going to mention Jean Arthur since the Stanwyck role is similar to the type of role Arthur placed in Capra films.     Cooper was indeed perfect for the role.   Like I said his low key persona (which I love but some find boring),  was just right for our man John Doe.  

Nice to see we're in agreement, James.

Obviously Barbara Stanwyck was a terrific actress. I just wish she coulda been a tad more Doris Day-ish. :)

I hope your joking.  The last thing I would want was for Stanwyck to be a tad more Doris Day-ish.

I'm a fan of Doris Day (well expect her virginal 60's comedies),  but I wouldn't want the Day persona to infect the Stanwyck persona. 

Stanwyck as a virginal type in Double Indemnity (or suddenly breaking out into song while plotting a murder). Interesting concept. ;)

Obviously Doris Day is a terrific human being.  I just wish her acting career could have been a tad more James Deanish*, as in three and done. :)

*Obviously not her life, just her acting career.  I'm glad she's still among us.

I wish SO BIG was airing as part of the tribute to Barbara Stanwyck.

Yes, I have seen this movie a few times already, but it always makes me happy to see it air.

PS. Cabbages are beautiful.

I wish THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN was playing though I have seen it many times.

Though I am a Babs fan, I'm only DVRing NIGHT NURSE and THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW.

PS...I like cabbage.

I wish SO BIG was airing as part of the tribute to Barbara Stanwyck.

Yes, I have seen this movie a few times already, but it always makes me happy to see it air.

I've probably watched that movie 3 or 4 times, and IMO it's one of her top 10, along with Baby Face, Stella Dallas, The Lady Eve,  Double Indemnity, and.....and.....and.....

Oh, hell, Stanwyck's made so many great movies it's almost impossible to say which ones are "best".  But So Big is definitely one of them, even though I'd take Romaine lettuce over cabbages.

Wow. Sounds like I should have DVR'd all of them. I ended up DVR-ing "Night Nurse," "Stella Dallas," "Ball of Fire," "Two Mrs Carrolls," and the 'Burlesque' one.

Good thing Watch TCM is available. I can catch other ones I missed. I just got "Sorry Wrong Number" in the mail via Netflix.

I'm not sure in what way you'd want Barbara Stanwyck to be more like Doris Day, personality wise? Acting wise? Choice of film roles wise?

Anyway, I do like Doris Day, but I'm glad Stanwyck isn't her. I love Stanwyck's strong female characters. I wouldn't want her in a role where she gives up a lucrative career because her man can't handle her making more money than him.

Archived