Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies You Bitterly Regret Ever Having Watched

Palmerin

The only good things about THE FORTUNE are Stockard Channing and her pet chicken. Other than that, the script of that ,,comedy'' is so witless, and the team of Beatty and Nicholson so charmless, that I still regret not walking out and demanding my money back.

Generally speaking the 70s are not my favorite movie era; too many films of that decade left me with a very bad taste in the mouth. For example, the so-called satire NETWORK was so crude and heavy handed that I simply cannot understand why it was thought worthy of being a candidate for the Best Picture Oscar.

The only good things about THE FORTUNE are Stockard Channing and her pet chicken. Other than that, the script of that ,,comedy'' is so witless, and the team of Beatty and Nicholson so charmless, that I still regret not walking out and demanding my money back.

Generally speaking the 70s are not my favorite movie era; too many films of that decade left me with a very bad taste in the mouth. For example, the so-called satire NETWORK was so crude and heavy handed that I simply cannot understand why it was thought worthy of being a candidate for the Best Picture Oscar.

The Fortune has never enjoyed a good rep, but I have to say that I found Nicolson to be very funny at times in it.

Network, while not a favourite, does have some brilliant dialogue by Paddy Chayefsky, in my opinion. While I find Faye Dunaway to be two dimensional in it, I thought Bill Holden great in a sort of everyman role with which the audience identifies. I also thought, brief as her screen time is, that Beatrice Straight was stunning as Holden's wife. However, it's Peter Finch's performance and his "mad as hell" diatribe that has given the film its lasting fame.

• Like 1

"Skyline" (2010) a movie that was insulting and stupid.  Thermonuclear weapon detonates inside one of the alien crafts and it survives?  Aliens cames all this way for just our brains -   Trading down is a sign of intelligence?  Movie was too much for me and wasted the Pay-per-View cost.  :angry:

King's Row  because it is a film that takes itself seriously, even though for me, it was hard to take it seriously. I understand it was Reagan's magnum opus of the cinema, but I couldn't believe his character was in pain after getting mutilated. There was this whole Kristen Stewart "oh wait, I'm supposed to act like this is how I feel" thing going on. 

Last week I went to the theater to see a new movie called BOYHOOD. It got such wonderful reviews in many publications around the country. I  had to check it out. It talked itself  to death and finally put me to sleep in my chair. I'm not one for summer comic book action movies but I also do not want to be bored to death. By the way, I did like A MOST WANTED MAN.

Brazil, directed by Terry Gilliam. I hated that overrated pile of **** with a passion. I don't mind bad films, they can be fun -- even boring ones. But Brazil was the most pretentious .... well, you get the idea.

I don't know that I've ever "bitterly" regretted having seen any movie, but I'd say that Last Tango in ParisBang The Drum Slowly and My Dinner With Andre were probably the closest cinematic equivalents of Guantanamo that I ever hope to suffer through.  The only consolation to any of them was that Willie Mitchell made a great 45 RPM recording of the Last Tango in Paris theme music.

Does the regret have to be bitter?

The only movie I can remember wishing I hadn't seen is 'Sophie's Choice' (1982).

Maybe 'The Piano' (1993) as well. I actually felt anger toward that one. Not sure I regret seeing it, though - I don't expect to like everything I watch; certainly haven't enjoyed very many John Wayne movies but have watched quite a few in my life. 'The Alamo' (1960) especially sucked.

King's Row  because it is a film that takes itself seriously, even though for me, it was hard to take it seriously. I understand it was Reagan's magnum opus of the cinema, but I couldn't believe his character was in pain after getting mutilated. There was this whole Kristen Stewart "oh wait, I'm supposed to act like this is how I feel" thing going on. 

Hmmm...interesting, hep. Ya see, I always thought little Kristen's one and ONLY facial expression was that thing she does where she looks like she's just smelled something especially odious!

And say what ya want about Ronnie's acting(or lack there of), I don't think THAT one was ever in his repertoire!

(...well, except for maybe that time where he gives Bonzo a bath before bedtime) ;)

• Like 1

Hmmm...interesting, hep. Ya see, I always thought little Kristen's one and ONLY facial expression was that thing she does where she looks like she's just smelled something especially odious!

And say what ya want about Ronnie's acting(or lack there of), I don't think THAT one was ever in his repertoire!

(...well, except for maybe that time where he gives Bonzo a bath before bedtime) ;)

Well, it was a matter of investment and feeling with the character, or trying to that I had difficulty with his performance. Unfortunately, that didn't change as the years went by, but maybe if I see another Ronald Reagan film that people rave about his acting in I'll keep an eye out. 

"There's always Tomarrow" with Barabara Stanwyck and Fred McMurry, (he is the husband and dad, bored and sick of being ignored by his wife and the whole family). This movie has Fred as the ignored husband,in favor of the children, which is truly the new American family--the KIDS have taken over completely. Fred runs into Barb, his old flame from school, and , ignored more and more, gets a new crush on Stanwyck, and wants to leave his family. BUT IN THIS VERSION OF THE AMERICAN MARRIAGE CRISIS---Barb convinces him to stay with his wife, cause he'll miss his kids too much, and still loves his wife. WOW!!!. :wub: 

This is exactly why American marriages DO SPLIT UP! The kids take over the family, and the wife devotes her self entirely to the kids, and neglects her hubby ---they never have their own vacations,fun,privacy, and romance DIES. This newer thing in the U.S., about the kids controlling the family,is a contemporary thing; the old European form of the family was, "the husband and  wife''s marriage comes first, and the children are 2nd. A wife paid attn. to her husband,and  kept a relationship with him.The parents ran the marriage together and the kids followed their orders.Kids who got out of line, refused to follow orders, and talked back to parents either got severely disciplined or had their privledges  taken away, or even got physically punished. And it was legal. In other words, the kids did not run the family, or make important decisions."

Of course, today kids get NO TRAINING, MANNERS, OR ANY RULES from their parents.They're out of control; other people in the same restaurant, or public places  either have to put up with modern parents' complete lack of control over their rampaging kids, or do something about the kids' behavior themselves. Like,tell the kid to shut up, go away, stop running around, screaming, ect ect.Or tell the RESTAURANT, to do something about them, or lose customers. (Some restaurants have started to ask rampaging kids & their parents, to leave.)

And in the above movie, you can see Fred McMurry's kids yelling, calling for mom, and running the mom ragged. Barbara Stanwyck's charecter in this movie is wrong,telling Fred at the end of the story, that he has to stay with his wife & family.HA HA!  In real life, Fred would still go out  and find another girl friend, cause his wife no longer acts like a wife, and takes him for granted.He'd either have an affair on the side, or even divorce his wife, and his kids, and see the kids every other week end.

But the writing in the movie was stupid; men don't sit around if their wives ignore them, and not seek female companionship elsewhere; and even in the era of this movie, they still ran around.Men HATE getting ignored. Lots of  them go else where when it happens.Even  if they like kids, and having a family, that's no excuse for the end of the marriage's romance.When the wife completely stops being a wife, the marriage is bound to die.Ditto for husbands; their neglect can kill the marriage too.And people don't "stay together for the sake of the kids" anymore.......

I'm with you Andy....."bitterly"? I had to open this thread to see the responses to that.

While I may be disappointed after watching a movie, my stronger emotion would be anger I wasted money to see it. 

My philosophy is it's worth seeing any movie once, even if it's only to intelligently discuss it's faults. Sometimes hearing other's defenses of a film help me understand it's appeal to others.

But after seeing that purple crazy font diatribe below, I regret opening this thread.

The first film that comes to my mind is Silence of the Lambs.  It was so disturbing that when I got home from the theater I was sobbing in a friend's arms, and had nightmares about it later.  It wasn't a 'bitter' regret, but you couldn't pay me to see it again. :(

• Like 1

This should be easy, but it isn't, really.  I think most of us( or at least ME) have a tendancy to obliterate those movies from our memories.  But I can at least try.

LITTLE WOMEN (either version)

Any TRANSFORMER movie

SHALLOW HAL

INDEPENDENCE DAY

DR. DOOLITTLE (either version)

WAITING TO EXHALE

HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK ( that's what I get for having the hots for Angela Bassett)

THE DEER HUNTER( didn't anybody involved ever hear of editing??)

THE GODFATHER III ( ZZZZzzzzzz...!)

JOE DIRT

ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO

ROCKY V

I'm sure there's more, but can't think of 'em right now

Sepiatone

After watching "The Chocolate War" and "Tea With Mussolini", I have to admit...I wept.  Not because of the plots or the endings, but I cried over wasting 4 hours of valuable time and 6 of my hard-earned dollars spent at the video store (back in the day, huh?). :(

I thought this was a hyperbolic subject for a thread, because I thought that while there were movies I didn't like for different reasons but was never bitter about watching. Then I remembered how I truly loathe When Harry Met Sally that it makes me angry just thinking about it.

• Like 1

Bitterly? Only a movie that changed you in a negative way, ot gave you continuing nightmares, would qualify on that score. Can't think of any.,

How about OUT OF [...] AFRICA [...] mind with boredom, a bomb that totally destroyed my trust in the good judgment and integrity of the Oscar people?

I watched THE COLOR PURPLE when it was the favorite to win the Best Picture Oscar. When the Oscar was given to Pollack's movie instead, I went to watch it out of curiosity.

When it was over, I was FURIOUS! Dinesen had an interesting and even tragic life, but you would never guess it from [...] flat and uninspired depiction. [...] reaction when she is told that she has VD is to open her eyes and mouth just a little, exactly as if she had been told that she has a hangnail. [...] the beggar man's Rock Hudson, makes such a poor romantic lead that, even when they are sitting side by side, you get the impression that the two of them are totally unaware of each other's proximity. The plot is so insubstantial that, rather than a drama, this movie is more like an ANIMAL PLANET documentary of the fauna and flora of Kenya--in short, this is a movie in which [...]  have no valid reason to stand in front of the camera.

I hear that the Oscar people were afraid of the controversy regarding Alice Walker's depiction of black men in THE COLOR PURPLE novel, and that that was the real reason why Spielberg was denied the Oscars for which his movie was nominated. [...]

It was a nightmare forgetting this torture of a movie; since this disappointment, when I choose a movie to watch the least important consideration is whether the Oscar people like it. This pill of a movie is hardly the only proof that they have absolutely no knowledge and no taste.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited to remove offensive comments

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings