Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Were The Most CHARMING Actors?

TomJH

And I'm including actresses, too, of  course, in this thread.

Who were those performers who simply knock you out with their charm on screen? Those actors or actresses for whom you melt because of their personalities? They don't have to be the best actors in their field, necessarily, or, for that matter, the most beautiful or handsome either.

These are the ones that you think just drip with on screen charm.

For myself I would pick two, if I had to boil it down. I'm thinking of both of them during their prime period as stars.

imagesCAD5C62G_zps80e1355a.jpg

ERROL FLYNN, during his prime years period in the movies from 1938 (Robin Hood) to 1942 (Gentleman Jim). It was a combination of things for the screen's most famous swashbuckler (who did a fair amount of swashbuckling off screen, as well). People who knew Flynn say that his charm off screen matched that that we saw captured on camera.

But Flynn's boyish charm and energy on screen was combined with a physical elegance that is quite unusual for an actor who specialized as an action hero. But it was his personality during his heyday that I think dazzled me perhaps more than anything else about him. That's why I saw him as so many cuts above those of other leading men that some might argue matched his physical attractiveness.

images4_zps3181803f.jpg

JAMES GARNER, for a lengthy period in his career, probably reaching a peak with The Rockford Files in the mid to late 1970s. There's been a lot of talk about this actor lately now that we've lost him.

But as incredibly handsome as he was, Garner never came across as a guy with ego. He had that everyman charm. It's hard for me to think of any other actor that has give me quite so much pleasure as this man when his casual down-to-earth affability was at play, and he was using his face for subtle comic effect.

Flynn and Garner, my nominations as the two most charming actors of the movies, though there are sure plenty of others that could be named, as well.

Anyone else care to a favourite of their own?

• Like 3

Actually, I don't think charm and charisma are the same thing, in contemporary usage. If you combine the two, how do you keep this thread from turning into yet another "favorite actors" thread?

Here is an actress whom I think is quite charming:

ann-harding-09.jpg

Ann Harding

Actually, I don't think charm and charisma are the same thing, in contemporary usage. If you combine the two, how do you keep this thread from turning into yet another "favorite actors" thread?

I'm not certain about that. But I edited my first post because I don't want to get into a matter of semantics on word definitions. Thanks for your comments, Swithin.

Ronald Colman - king of charm

Leslie Howard

Hugh Grant - making a career out of it, like it or not

Herbert Marshall

then there's charm with a dangerous edge.  Endless ...

George Sanders

Basil Rathbone

Charles Boyer

Anton Walbrook

bumpkin charm ...

Gary Cooper

suave charm ...

Maurice Chevalier

child's charm.  Also endless ...

Elizabeth Taylor

Roddy McDowell

Margaret O'Brien

Charm without so much the sex appeal? ...

Cecil Kellaway

Henry Travers

S.Z. 'Cuddles' Sakall

psychotic charm?

Victor Buono ... kidding

Well, it's hard to top Flynn, but I would say Cary Grant would be my top nominee for actors of the past.  Fred Astaire was also very charming; I have a recording of some of his songs that he did with Oscar Peterson in the 50s -- you'd think he was singing to me in my living room, they are so conversational and intimate.  Garner -- very charming, kind of an American Grant with a touch of earthy cynicism.  Living actors -- George Clooney, hands-down.  I also find Hugh Jackman has huge charm as an off-screen stage personality, but it is quite different from his screen persona.

Well, it's hard to top Flynn, but I would say Cary Grant would be my top nominee for actors of the past.  Fred Astaire was also very charming; I have a recording of some of his songs that he did with Oscar Peterson in the 50s -- you'd think he was singing to me in my living room, they are so conversational and intimate.  Garner -- very charming, kind of an American Grant with a touch of earthy cynicism.  Living actors -- George Clooney, hands-down.  I also find Hugh Jackman has huge charm as an off-screen stage personality, but it is quite different from his screen persona.

I agree with Cary Grant and my actress choice would be Greer Garson.

I would cast my vote for William Holden - the most charming, handsome actor I've seen.

Hmmmmmm...gotta say while Bill has always been one of my favorites too, I'm not so sure if I would consider a man with a large number of his roles being of the "cynical" type as necessarily "charming". In fact, I recall many of his roles when he played this type as being somewhat disdainful of "charm", and that in those roles he would pride himself as being a "realist" and often distrustful of "courtesies".

(...but hey, maybe not, eh)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings