SEVEN CHANCES (1925)..Buster Keaton

THE FRESHMAN (1925)..Harold Lloyd

CHARLEY MY BOY! (1926)..Charley Chase

FATTY AND MABEL ADRIFT (1917)..Fatty Arbuckle

PUTTING PANTS ON PHILLIP (1927)..Stan Laurel

FAST COMPANY (1924)..Del Henderson

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In that article he writes that silent movie stars have been frequently featured as SOTM, and mentions Mary Pickford, as well as Laurel & Hardy among those featured in the past. Neither of those two show up on the list of past SOTM honorees... L&H were once on SUTS, but not Pickford,

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48413-star-of-the-month-summer-under-the-stars-honorees/

Can anyone clear up who is mistaken? And what months those stars were featured, (if indeed they have been?)

I'm afraid this theme is so broad that we won't get to see much more than the super-famous films that have been showing regularly anyway. One film for each star- it doesn't offer a very good overview of anyone, really.

There are some things I might be interested in seeing... but- I consider myself to have a pretty darn rudimentary knowledge of silent films, and still I've seen a lot of these.

Also, this blanket tribute will probably put off a decent tributes for any of these stars for another few years. (But now I'm just assuming)

I'm afraid this theme is so broad that we won't get to see much more than the super-famous films that have been showing regularly anyway. 

Right-- that's why I don't like it. I think it's a waste of time. I call it TCM's Silent Film Guide for Dummies, or TCM's Basic Introduction to Silent Classics 101. They need programming for the more advanced viewer. And yes, you are right-- this blanket tribute will delay someone like Marion Davies finally getting a chance to be Star of the Month. 

• Like 1

I don't think Mary Pickford has even been featured on SUTS let alone a whole month retrospective. Lillian Gish has been featured for August before, but not Pickford. 

I concur on the whole "silent stars" as star of the month. It's a bit insulting actually. A bunch of programmers thinking, oh you know, lets show some of those old silent films this month and feature one star per film. That way we don't have to make any of them SOTM for 10 years. 

• Like 1

I don't think Mary Pickford has even been featured on SUTS let alone a whole month retrospective. Lillian Gish has been featured for August before, but not Pickford. 

I concur on the whole "silent stars" as star of the month. It's a bit insulting actually. A bunch of programmers thinking, oh you know, lets show some of those old silent films this month and feature one star per film. That way we don't have to make any of them SOTM for 10 years. 

Robert Osborne's article on the Silent Stars down there is basically word-for-word what he says in Now Playing: November, except in the featurette he also mentions Lon Chaney(!) among those featured in the past. He has been on SUTS, also, but certainly not the SOTM.

Yeah, I don't love this idea, but there's still some uncommon movies coming on (though not enough of 'em.) The Wildcat was awesome, it's presence alone has justified this tribute to me. I'd never seen Sadie Thompson before, either, which was really great, but the lost ending is tear-your-hair-out stuff.

Robert Osborne's article on the Silent Stars down there is basically word-for-word what he says in Now Playing: November, except in the featurette he also mentions Lon Chaney(!) among those featured in the past. He has been on SUTS, also, but certainly not the SOTM.

Yeah, I don't love this idea, but there's still some uncommon movies coming on (though not enough of 'em.) The Wildcat was awesome, it's presence alone has justified this tribute to me. I'd never seen Sadie Thompson before, either, which was really great, but the lost ending is tear-your-hair-out stuff.

Yeah, there were a few premieres, but mostly a lot of the usual suspects. But I'm thankful for the few I havent seen..........

And if TCM has gone the way of the dodo bird in ten years, they've gotten off the hook!

• 6 months later...

How could Pickford not be chosen by now? That little curly haired girl,was really an incredible lady (good and bad). To this day,no other woman has held more power in that industry. She's one of the cornerstones to filmdom...

and the studio model she helped create is what all the studios use today. People don't really realize some of the amazing things she did,but Mary was a real trailblazer in many regards,(even the first major celebrity couple!) and anyone with any knowledge of the industry,has to tip their hat to her. Greatest actress? No...but a darn good one,

and better than many others of the era I've seen. She more than deserves recognition for her contributions to film.

I understand some silent actors don't have too many films that could make up a whole month of programming, thus no Theda Bara, Rudy Valentino, or the like. They had Buster Keaton as SOTM a few years ago and that was great. But what about Harold Lloyd, Marion Davies, Sessue Hayakawa (who also had an extensive career in talkies), Mary Pickford, Lillian Gish, or Douglas Fairbanks?

I understand some silent actors don't have too many films that could make up a whole month of programming, thus no Theda Bara, Rudy Valentino, or the like. They had Buster Keaton as SOTM a few years ago and that was great. But what about Harold Lloyd, Marion Davies, Sessue Hayakawa (who also had an extensive career in talkies), Mary Pickford, Lillian Gish, or Douglas Fairbanks?

Well SOTM is only one day a week so at most an actor would need enough films for 5 days of programming.   But for those actors that don't have enough films available (and by available I really mean that TCM can afford to lease and the company that owns these films are willing to lease),   TCM could feature them in their Summer Under the Stars tribute.  This is one day per actor and most actors from any era have enough films for a day.   

Well SOTM is only one day a week so at most an actor would need enough films for 5 days of programming.    

Though there have been some exceptions.

They put all of Doris Day's films on during one week a few years ago. And they also did about five or six days in a row of John Wayne when he was SOTM. Both of those were in April, when there is a lot going on at TCM City.

But yes, usually five days is the limit.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings