Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ian McShane. What? You never watched "Deadwood" on HBO?

I really enjoyed the British T.V. series Lovejoy which starred Ian McShane.    A&E use to show it about ten years ago.

I have about 8 of the Lovejoy books as well.    

He was great in Deadwood as well.   To me he has aged well and I was glad to see him get that Deadwood part.

Not one of my favorite actors - he seemed mean and cold to me.

I totally agree with this assessment. Never one of my favorites, and something innately unlikeable (to me at least) about him made him perfect in villainous roles. A couple of days ago I rewatched THE MARRIAGE GO ROUND on FMC. Besides his obvious lack of finesse with the comedic lines (costar Susan Hayward was just as bad), the idea that free thinking Julie Newman would choose him to father her child is mind boggling, as I (admittedly a man not attracted to men) see nothing attractive about him. The part cries out for a Cary Grant. I am glad the casting gods did not give him the Burton role in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA.WOOLF (which deals.with another hapless college professor, just like TMGR). But maybe its just jealosy on my part....after all, I would've loved to have been the Flying Dutchman to Ava's Pandora.

I totally agree with this assessment. Never one of my favorites, and something innately unlikeable (to me at least) about him made him perfect in villainous roles. A couple of days ago I rewatched THE MARRIAGE GO ROUND on FMC. Besides his obvious lack of finesse with the comedic lines (costar Susan Hayward was just as bad), the idea that free thinking Julie Newman would choose him to father her child is mind boggling, as I (admittedly a man not attracted to men) see nothing attractive about him. The part cries out for a Cary Grant. I am glad the casting gods did not give him the Burton role in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA.WOOLF (which deals.with another hapless college professor, just like TMGR). But maybe its just jealosy on my part....after all, I would've loved to have been the Flying Dutchman to Ava's Pandora.

My wife really is a fan of James Mason.  She feels he is attactive and but what gets to her is his voice.  

I do agree that his screen persona is somewhat 'cold'  but as you noted that worked very well when he was cast as a villain.   Related to his part as the Flying Dutchman;  I think he was well cast for that part since his detached persona adds an air of mystery to a character that is a mystery.    (of course that is when I noticed anyone in that film other than Ava!).  

This may seem blasphemy to some, but I am of the opinion that Mason should have won the Best Actor Oscar in 1962 for his turn as Humbert Humbert in Lolita.  Tough though as he wasn't even nominated.  I've seen Lolita about a dozen times and I am still amazed at the complexity of his performance.  I read somewhere that Kubrick was of the opinion that he was the best, or most professional actor he had worked with,

I say "blasphemy" as the beloved Gregory Peck won the Oscar that year for the American classic, To Kill a Mockingbird.  And of course, O'Toole was overlooked for Lawrence of Arabia as well.

• Like 2

This may seem blasphemy to some, but I am of the opinion that Mason should have won the Best Actor Oscar in 1962 for his turn as Humbert Humbert in Lolita.  Tough though as he wasn't even nominated.  

He did give an amazing performance. It was in fact an incredible year for performances in all the acting categories:

http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000003/1963?ref_=ttawd_ev_1

This may seem blasphemy to some, but I am of the opinion that Mason should have won the Best Actor Oscar in 1962 for his turn as Humbert Humbert in Lolita.  Tough though as he wasn't even nominated.  I've seen Lolita about a dozen times and I am still amazed at the complexity of his performance.  I read somewhere that Kubrick was of the opinion that he was the best, or most professional actor he had worked with,

I say "blasphemy" as the beloved Gregory Peck won the Oscar that year for the American classic, To Kill a Mockingbird.  And of course, O'Toole was overlooked for Lawrence of Arabia as well.

Whether he should have won the Oscar or not I can't say, but Lolita has what is probably my favourite Mason performance. He brings a wonderful subtlety to his complex characterization, whether conveying the awkwardness that he feels in the scenes with smothering, needy Shelley Winters, or those expressing his feelings of obsessiveness, jealousy and love for the title nymphet. And it says something that Mason manages (just barely perhaps) to hold his own on screen with what appears to be an improvisational Peter Sellers in a truly bizzare characterization.

• Like 2

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) August 28
North by Northwest (1959) September 27
A Place of One's Own (1945) October 02
Lolita (1961) October 04
The Trials of Oscar Wilde (1960) October 07
Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951) October 09

I agree with other posters that: Five Fingers (1952) is an excellent movie. It is one of my all-time favorites. I love how the precision and attention to detail which makes him an excellent servant makes him also an excellent traitor. I believe that he was one of the few actors who could make such persona seem so very real.

I wish TCM could air also: Charade (1953).

Mason is charming and genial in A Place of One's Own.  It's a modest movie also with Margaret Lockwood (who deserves a SUTS day of her own!).  A mild ghost story, but likable.

I've always been fascinated by the fact that Warren Beatty tried hard to persuade Cary Grant to play Mr. Jordan in "Heaven Can Wait." When Grant wouldn't come out of retirement, Beatty turned to Grant's "North by Northwest" co-star Mason for the role. Mason was no Cary Grant (who was?), but he did an excellent job in the movie. Of course, he had experience playing a heavenly visitor, thanks to the 1956 Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz movie "Forever, Darling."

By the way, one of my favorite Mason performances is in "The Blue Max," the 1966 World War I film that also stars George Peppard and Ursula Andress and features a noteworthy score by Jerry Goldsmith. Has it ever been shown on TCM?

I like James Mason well enough.  He appeared in so many movies over the years there's no shortage to pick from if TCM has a 'James Mason Day'. 

I've never seen the 1967 UK movie "Cop-Out", but perhaps TCM will show it sometime.

Couple other British movies I'm not sure if TCM has ever aired:

THE DEADLY AFFAIR (1966)  Spy stuff!

SPRING AND PORT WINE (1970)  Generation-gap family comedy/drama

• Like 1

I've always been fascinated by the fact that Warren Beatty tried hard to persuade Cary Grant to play Mr. Jordan in "Heaven Can Wait." When Grant wouldn't come out of retirement, Beatty turned to Grant's "North by Northwest" co-star Mason for the role. Mason was no Cary Grant (who was?), but he did an excellent job in the movie. Of course, he had experience playing a heavenly visitor, thanks to the 1956 Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz movie "Forever, Darling."

By the way, one of my favorite Mason performances is in "The Blue Max," the 1966 World War I film that also stars George Peppard and Ursula Andress and features a noteworthy score by Jerry Goldsmith. Has it ever been shown on TCM?

THE BLUE.MAX.is shown regularly on the Fox.Movie.Channel. It was on a day or two ago I think

Mason creeps me the frig out.  And I love him.  I agree they should show more of his movies.  It's amazing, how dashing he was as a younger man.  Then, Lolita, and well, ever since then I always felt like I needed to wash after watching him - until Warren Beatty redeemed him, lol.

TCM has issues with missing people's birthdays.  It's not just Mason.  Still waiting for Mastroianni.  September 28 comes around every year and they still dis him.

BTW those of us who post rarely may have more reason than just being trolls.  There are lots of hangouts out there - Facebook, of course, etc. so we're just not on here all the time.  And - When TCM revamped their site - let's just say my old user name went Poof! with that, and I had that for several years.

Mason creeps me the frig out.  And I love him.  I agree they should show more of his movies.  It's amazing, how dashing he was as a younger man.  Then, Lolita, and well, ever since then I always felt like I needed to wash after watching him - until Warren Beatty redeemed him, lol.

TCM has issues with missing people's birthdays.  It's not just Mason.  Still waiting for Mastroianni.  September 28 comes around every year and they still dis him.

BTW those of us who post rarely may have more reason than just being trolls.  There are lots of hangouts out there - Facebook, of course, etc. so we're just not on here all the time.  And - When TCM revamped their site - let's just say my old user name went Poof! with that, and I had that for several years.

I'm glad that TCM programming does NOT focus on birthdays.   Just look at the Candid thread;  everyday mutiple actors were born.  Each and every day.   So if TCM was to have a birthday tribute most of TCM programming would have to be devoted to these birthday tributes.     Even if TCM only had birthday tributes for 'major' stars (and who is 'major' or not would cause another debate around her),    I feel too much of the programming would be devoted to birthdays.    I would rather have theme based programming then birthday based programming.

Also note that old user names were retained but it was rather difficult to figure out how to log on as an existing member to retain one's old user name.     Therefore we do see a lot of 'old timers' here with a modified username (e.g. adding a 1 to the end so it is a 'new' user name). 

I remember when they aired it. It was March, 2011. I believe they have not repeated it.

You have a most remarkable memory.  :)

I have an ancient VHS tape, but hope TCM will show it again.  Once every three years doesn't seem too much to hope for.

Many thanks for his name!  I liked his slightly thuggish, rough look.

No HBO.  No Deadwood.  Sounds like I'm missing out. :(

You're welcome! McShane's character in "Deadwood" was aptly named Swearingen!

• 1 month later...

A question for TomJH and jamesjazzguitar, you mentioned that FOX films are especially difficult to access. Tell me more about this.  I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past year to obtain copies of 4 James Mason films from the 1930s (quota quickies).  I believe they were made by FOX.  So, what is the problem?  Thank you.

A question for TomJH and jamesjazzguitar, you mentioned that FOX films are especially difficult to access. Tell me more about this.  I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past year to obtain copies of 4 James Mason films from the 1930s (quota quickies).  I believe they were made by FOX.  So, what is the problem?  Thank you.

When I mention 20th Century \ Fox films,  it relates only to TCM.   TCM tends to feature movies from what use to be known as the Turner Library.   This is mostly Warner Brothers, MGM and RKO releases.   

Fox has it own network and stations that they 'assist' (co-own?),  like MOVIES.   

So while TCM does show Fox films (e.g. TCM viewers have been waiting for Laura for years now and TCM has finally obtained the rights to this film),   the ratio of Fox films to those in the Turner Library is lignt.     A similar concept applies to Universal and Paramount films.

If your interesting in obtaining DVD of Fox Films that feature James Mason,  that is something I know nothing about.  

• Like 1

If it means anything to you, the one Mason film that I know Fox is offering on their Fox Archives Collection (recorded on a DVD-R) is FIVE FINGERS. I haven't seen the print so I have no comment on the quality of the image.

Here's a link to Amazon offering it:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=five%20fingers&sprefix=five+f%2Cmovies-tv

I am puzzled by the comments of one of the members that  JULIUS CAESAR is an "awful" movie in that it bears no resemblance to the play.  After watching it, I reread the play and the movie is remarkably faithful to the Bard.  The speeches are verbatim.  It is true that some scenes are missing, for example, a very brief scene with Portia and Brutus.  But for the most part, Mankiewicz was faithful to the play.  Perhaps the commentator has not read the play recently.