Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arturo, Mason appeared in few comedies, and I can't recall anyone ever extolling the actor for his comedy technique.

Though it's not a comedy, Mason has some very funny lines in Journey to the Center of the Earth, which he delivers very well. My favorite is when they're all down there under the earth, and Arlene Dahl gets fed up and says "I've had enough, I'm leaving." Mason responds, "Shall I call for Madame's horse and carriage?" Then they all laugh. There's a lot of good natured humor in that film, and Mason does it all splendidly.

You have confused A TOUCH OF LARCENY with TIARA TAHITI, both of which are available on DVD.

Mason was terrific in ATOL, sexy as all get out and very funny.  Sanders was great, too.  In TT, Mason and John Mills have some great scenes sparring, with the audience never sure who's going to win.  

THE MARRIAGE GO ROUND was ghastly (IMO), another of Mason's lapses in good judgment.  Like that awful movie with Lucy and Desi, so horrible that I have suppressed the title.

I wish Mason had made more movies like ATOL, romantic, sexy (oh, that dance scene!), and funny.

"Creepiness factor"??  What is that about?  Menacing, dangerous.  Yes, definitely.  But creepy, no way.

You have confused A TOUCH OF LARCENY with TIARA TAHITI, both of which are available on DVD.

I'm glad to hear that A Touch of Larseny is available. Unfortunately, it looks like it is not out on an official company DVD label but, instead, from small companies which can be dicey, quality-wise. I've never dealt with lovingtheclassics.com, which is offering the film (among a few others), so I have no idea what to expect from them as far as the image is concerned.

I bought TIARA TAHITI on Amazon and A TOUCH OF LARCENY on Loving the Classics.  I have had mixed experiences with the latter, but their copy of ATOL is excellent.  I bought it a couple of years ago, so don't remember what I paid for it.

I am curious...has James Mason ever been a SOTM?.  If so I missed it and if not, Why Not???

Not sure about SOTM here Emily, but I do recall his possibly being a SUTS honoree a while back, as I believe it was during it that I happened to catch him in BIGGER THAN LIFE when TCM showed it.

I bought TIARA TAHITI on Amazon and A TOUCH OF LARCENY on Loving the Classics.  I have had mixed experiences with the latter, but their copy of ATOL is excellent.  I bought it a couple of years ago, so don't remember what I paid for it.

Thanks for the info, manderstoke. I saw Tiara Tahiti a zillion years ago and it didn't make that much of an impression upon me.

A Touch of Larseny, however, is another story. I'm tempted to go for it.

Here's another Mason mini-quiz: In what two films did he walk into the sea, to his death, at the end? (One of them is of course easy-peasy).

Well, the '54 "A Star is Born" of course, but I'm not sure about the other one, Swithin.

Funny thing here however is that while just now perusing Mason's filmography in order gain the answer to your question(and which I'll bet our big resident James Mason fans, manderstoke or TomJH, will know in a heartbeat) I happened to notice the titles of a few more films in which I know Mason's characters meet their fate by means of drowning..."Pandora and the Flying Dutchman" and "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea". And so, there seems to be a common thread with the guy and water for some reason.

(...note: one of his first films was titled "Troubled Waters", but not being familiar with the plot of that one, I'm not sure if or HOW he dies--another seeming constant fate for the guy's characters ya know--in THAT one!) ;)

Of course Manderstoke can answer this one.  A STAR IS BORN, PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, and I MET A MURDERER (originally titled DEAD WATER).  I don't know if THE UPTURNED GLASS counts - he jumps off a cliff into the sea.

I MET A MURDERER is kinda interesting.  Basically, it is a home made movie and, although crude, it has a rather haunting quality.  It was nearly lost at sea (there's that ocean element again), when the original print was destroyed by a German bomb/uboat? crossing the Atlantic.  Fortunately, sometime later another print turned up in the US.  I have never been able to locate a good transfer and the one I have on dvd is only fair.  Mason is beyond handsome in it, he was 30, but looks younger.

Of course Manderstoke can answer this one.  A STAR IS BORN, PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, and I MET A MURDERER (originally titled DEAD WATER).  I don't know if THE UPTURNED GLASS counts - he jumps off a cliff into the sea.

I MET A MURDERER is kinda interesting.  Basically, it is a home made movie and, although crude, it has a rather haunting quality.  It was nearly lost at sea (there's that ocean element again), when the original print was destroyed by a German bomb/uboat? crossing the Atlantic.  Fortunately, sometime later another print turned up in the US.  I have never been able to locate a good transfer and the one I have on dvd is only fair.  Mason is beyond handsome in it, he was 30, but looks younger.

I knew you could -- I was waiting! I was thinking of I Met a Murderer.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, in 20,000 LEAGUES..., he dies from a gunshot, not drowning.  I love short quizes - any more to come?

Dang, that's right. I was thinking because he went down with his ship at the end, he probably died by drowning.

(...but then again of course, IF he dies at ALL, then there couldn't have been the sequel of sorts, "Mysterious Island", and where Herbert Lom takes over his role as Capt. Nemo)

• Like 1

Click on your member name up in the top right of your screen, and then click on "My settings", and then on "Change my photo" which will then present to you a place for whatever URL photo address you like, and which will then show as your avatar from then on once you update it.

Might I suggest this one for you, manderstoke ol' boy?: https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608018591806852817&pid=15.1&P=0 

;)

Edited by Dargo

Thank you Dargo.  I will try to do this.

Swithin.  The Secret of Stamboul.  Right?

What a pity the film with Mason and Garbo was never made.  They could have out-brooded each other.  Don't know why it didn't get off the ground, Garbo was keen to do it.  Probably a money thing.

I am also a super fan of James Mason and I noticed a lack of films that I wanted to see -  The Desert Fox, Rommel, etc. 

I thought I must have missed them.  What about Odd Man Out, Lady Possessed, Journey to the Center of the Earth,

A Touch of Larceny. 

In his biography James's friends and colleagues highly praised him for putting his whole self into the persona of the person he played.  From military types to a famous singer (Lady Possessed), Henrik, a mythical character in Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, sympathetic WW2 characters or Russian or one of  Irish descent  (Candlelight in Algeria, The Man Between, Odd Man Out);  James is brilliant as a suave and sympathetic blackmailer in The Reckless Moment.

I found Mr. Mason wonderful in The Seventh Veil - A very good print from TCM,  The Man Between,  and  The Story of Three Loves were great too.

In the last film the second segment is a real tear-jerker.  As usual, Mr. Mason rose to the occasion and made the perfect person to

judge new ballerinas for a show  He is austere and automatically shows his stern manner to this new girl.  He and the ill-fated Moira Shearer were radiant in their roles.  He fell in love with her only to find she had a bad heart and had been ordered not to dance by her doctor.  In turn, this lovely girl just had to dance for him.... 

So this is the James Mason I came to appreciate and value over the years.  Starting with The Seventh Veil I had seen at 12 on TV to all the others I have been very lucky to view James in all of these great roles and others.

TCM is a wonderful station and I will look forward to seeing more of  Mr. Mason's fine performances and other great classic films.

• Like 1

I taped it("Lost Command")off a public station.  very dark print.  its so dark you have to guess. 

Yeah, and I got news for ya here, Bopper! 

That second poster of this flick down there ya just posted is a little too LIGHT...and so ya got me guessin' about THAT TOO!!!

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

Here's a James Mason movie I'd like to see some time:  DR. FISCHER OF GENEVA (1983-British Tvm).  Had a good cast, too:  Alan Bates, Greta Scacchi and Clarissa Kaye (Mason) co-starred along with Cyril Cusack.