Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Firecreek

NipkowDisc

See if you can remember all the lyrics to the firecreek wake song.

Real rustic 19th century western lyrics about a "jaybird walkin' on frozen ground" and a "backwheel draggin' "  :D

sung by the velvety-throated Morgan Woodward.  :)

2rxio3p.jpg

Basically a padded Gunsmoke episode (it was made by several people from that show), with long stretches of talk and occasional bits of intimidation from the heavies until the action climax. The bizarre wake is a highlight, and the climactic shootout is well done.

But Firecreek is most interesting to me for the presence of one J. Robert Porter as the stable boy. Porter is perhaps the most obscure of all the James Dean wannabes. From some angles it is difficult to tell them apart.

According to IMDb Porter died in March.

See if you can remember all the lyrics to the firecreek wake song.

Real rustic 19th century western lyrics about a "jaybird walkin' on frozen ground" and a "backwheel draggin' "  :D

sung by the velvety-throated Morgan Woodward.  :)

Woodward studied to be an opera singer, as did another pock-marked heavy, Robery Davi.

I could swear I once read that yet another pocks-on-you villain, Marc Lawrence, also studied opera, which would make these three the answer to a great trivia question. But I have not been able to confirm Lawrence online.

But Firecreek is most interesting to me for the presence of one J. Robert Porter as the stable boy. Porter is perhaps the most obscure of all the James Dean wannabes. From some angles it is difficult to tell them apart.

J. Robert Porter in Firecreek:

C7wIhIu.jpg

Some bio info on Porter here:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0692143/board/flat/56994146

I always feel a little melancholy when I watch that Kansas girl, Inger Stevens (basically grew up and graduated from Manhattan High - NE KS my neck of the woods). She always seemed sad in her roles so I guess suicide shouldn't be a big surprise but still brings me down all the same.

I've seen this movie a bunch and as for an all star cast of villains, hard to top this one...

i might check it out.

i'll only watch westerns that are not the typical 'cowboys vs. indians' dreck.

there is an unique twin-billed dvd copy of this movie at my local library.

the second movie (also starring fonda and stewart) is entitled 'the cheyenne social club'.

It's a great western.

• 9 months later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings