Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When actors think they can sing.

GenRipper66

Mentioning an actor in another thread made me curious about what ever happened to Marjoe Gortner. After checking IMDb, I saw in the trivia section that he was a musician and recorded an album in 1973 called "Bad, But Not Evil".

The thought of this actor trying to sing made me think of William Shatner and his many attempts to sing. LOL

Any memories of actors trying to sing you would like to erase from your memory like in 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' (2004)?

the Bonds:

Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia as runner up

And Timothy Dalton serenading an 85 year-old Mae West in Sextette with "Love Will Keep Us Together" as the winner.

Both are brands upon the brain if I may steal from Guy Maddin

• Like 1

Although I've always enjoyed PAINT YOUR WAGON, I have to admit that Clint Eastwood wasn't the best choice when it came to singing. I always wondered why they didn't have somebody else dub him. Well, okay, maybe Marni Nixon couldn't sing that low. ;)

To be fair, especially, back in the studio days, performers were under contract and if they were told to sing, they sang. So it wasn't always the case that they, themselves, thought they could sing.

Marlon Brando in Guys and Dolls - great actor, but not a singer.

His singing of "Luck Be A Lady" is actually not that bad.

Does his version of "My Time Of Day" still exist (if he recorded it at all)? I've sometimes wondered why that song was cut from the film.

Now, I think Meryl Streep used to have a great singing voice, as evidenced in 1990's Postcards From The Edge: 

But 18 years is too long to not sing again in a film, because 2008's Mamma Mia was horrible: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7qwrFMl4KE

I understand her character is in pain, but her rendition of this song was just painful. 

And we trust her to sing a special song written for her in this year's Into The Woods? Hide the children! 

2008's Mamma Mia was horrible: 

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7qwrFMl4KE[media]

I understand her character is in pain, but her rendition of this song was just painful.  

I disagree with your assessment of Meryl Streep's "The Winner Takes It All" in MAMMA MIA.

I hadn't seen or heard it since I saw in the theater so I watched the clip again just now to see if perhaps my original opinion had changed.

I still feel as I did when I first saw it: It is a good example of what "acting" a song is about. A musical theater performance is not the same as a concert performance. Streisand sings "People" differently in the context of FUNNY GIRL than she does on the single she released for the song from her album PEOPLE.

And, while Streep is certainly no Streisand in the singing department, her voice is very good and very strong where it needs to be in this song.

I disagree with your assessment of Meryl Streep's "The Winner Takes It All" in MAMMA MIA.

I hadn't seen or heard it since I saw in the theater so I watched the clip again just now to see if perhaps my original opinion had changed.

I still feel as I did when I first saw it: It is a good example of what "acting" a song is about. A musical theater performance is not the same as a concert performance. Streisand sings "People" differently in the context of FUNNY GIRL than she does on the single she released for the song from her album PEOPLE.

And, while Streep is certainly no Streisand in the singing department, her voice is very good and very strong where it needs to be in this song.

We can agree to disagree here if that's fine. Personally, I can tell that Streep is acting the song, and that's the problem. That, and she is so gesture-y that she is completely out of character. At least Streisand committed to her character with her voice. 

Mentioning an actor in another thread made me curious about what ever happened to Marjoe Gortner. After checking IMDb, I saw in the trivia section that he was a musician and recorded an album in 1973 called "Bad, But Not Evil".

The thought of this actor trying to sing made me think of William Shatner and his many attempts to sing. LOL

Any memories of actors trying to sing you would like to erase from your memory like in 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' (2004)?

Burt Reynolds.  What's the expression, if one can't sing, speak the words. Ow.

I-will-always-love-you-whosang-it-best-l

Wow, some great reminders why I have avoided so many movies. I still haven't found the cajones to see 'Mamma Mia'. I think I may just like ABBA too much to defile their songs in my head (I also think the entire premise of 'my mom was so promiscuous, let's invite the phone book over to find my dad' is uber LAME...). Also, Pierce Brosnan lives in Ha'ena on my island and a good friend said he was a jerk to a kid in front of him - another good reason to avoid that train wreck IMO.

Never seen 'Best Little Whorehouse...' even though I lived in central Texas for 9 yrs. The place that movie was based on was not far but never managed to visit an old brothel or see the movie. Burt Reynolds singing will ensure it. LOL

I despise everything about "Mama Mia"!   But the worse actor as singer in recent memory was Russell Crowe in " Les Miserables" - now that was painful.

I've heard interesting things said and read interesting analyses about Crowe in Les Mis, and while I don't think it was musical theatre as much as rock and roll, it was interesting. 

Actually, I don't think Clint Eastwood was all that bad in Paint Your Wagon which was what I thought of first when I saw this thread.  Lee Marvin, on the other hand, could not carry a tune in a bucket-probably the only thing he couldn't do.  Of course both were overshadowed by Harve Presnell, who couldn't hit a false note if he had to.  I had the blessing of hearing him on stage in St. Petersburg years ago and the memory still seems like yesterday.  

Some actors KNOW they can't sing, but are directed to do so by contractural commitment.  I suppose THAT'S the only DECENT reason for having LEE MARVIN ever sing in ANY movie!

DON'T get me started on MAMA MIA, probably the WORST friggin' movie I EVER wasted time I won't get back in my LIFE!

Sepiatone

I started to hate "Mama Mia" when the director said it was an EPIC- you know it's right up there with " The Odessy".... Crowe is the weakest link in "Les Miserables"- he does nothing with one of the great literary villains- I would have used Antonio Banderas who at least would have brought some passion to the role (and he can sing).    That's why in the classic era movie stars who looked right for the part ( and could not sing) were dubbed- cinema is an illussion.

Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood immediately came to my mind.  Think both are excellent actors, but never singers.

Irronically, Eastwood does not sing in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but on the CD soundtrack, he does sing Ac-cent-tchu-ate The Positive.  It is so bad that I deleted it when I transferred the CD to my car's hard drive. 

Eastwood was bad enough in Paint Your Wagon, but does anyone else remember his excruciating "duet" with Merle Haggard on "Bar Room Buddies" (Bronco Billy, 1980)?

He did another horrendous attempt as a Hank Williams-ish character in H0nky Tonk Man (1982), an interesting idea further ruined by the catatonic non-acting of Eastwood's son Kyle (playing his nephew) and the appalling overacting of Alexa Kenin as a country wannabe they meet.

Kenin would tragically die just a few years later, age 23.

Mamma Mia! (2008) is the only film musical where critics said that Meryl didn't fit, and felt weird saying that since they usually praise her from breathing to walking. 

I'm not sure which critics said that Meryl Streep was not a good fit in MAMMA MIA. I do know that the Variety review said that Streep was well-suited for the musiscal comedy genre (while also noting that some of her co-stars, particularly Pierce Brosnan, were not).

When I saw the movie, the theater was packed with an audience that was very demonstratively enjoying it.

The movie brought in over $600 million at the box office with a budget of $52 million, and it is currently the highest grossing movie musical of all-time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings