Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A classic film stays fresh long past the expiration date.

TopBilled

TCM aired THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER last night. This film is richly satisfying with every viewing. It always retains its freshness, even though it has an old-world feel to it, being set in Austria and all.  I find different things in it each time, and even if I didn't, it has at its heart a timeless quality and always makes me glad to have seen it.

Howard Hawks' MONKEY BUSINESS is another one. It certainly has dated elements-- scientific procedures have changed a lot since the 1950s, and so have the fashions (evidenced by Ginger Rogers' wardrobe). But this film has a playful side to it, and it never fails to tickle the funny bone. Cary Grant's personality (and supposedly ideas from his LSD use, too) are all over this film. It's fresh and unconventionally hip (and that never goes out of style in movies).

Bringing Up Baby (1938)- a box office flop that expired to its audience back then is now a comedy essential, and definitive of the screwball comedies. 

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)- post-war America retired Capra-corn long before Capra retired from filmmaking, but since its first television viewing in 1973, is now a holiday classic and holiday essential. 

Bringing Up Baby (1938)- a box office flop that expired to its audience back then is now a comedy essential, and definitive of the screwball comedies. 

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)- post-war America retired Capra-corn long before Capra retired from filmmaking, but since its first television viewing in 1973, is now a holiday classic and holiday essential. 

Interesting you bring up BRINGING UP BABY. MONKEY BUSINESS, considered by some as the last great screwball comedy, reunites Grant and Hawks and like BABY, it features Grant as a stuffy scientist type character whose life is turned upside down.  

TCM aired THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER last night. This film is richly satisfying with every viewing. It always retains its freshness, even though it has an old-world feel to it, being set in Austria and all.  I find different things in it each time, and even if I didn't, it has at its heart a timeless quality and always makes me glad to have seen it.

Howard Hawks' MONKEY BUSINESS is another one. It certainly has dated elements-- scientific procedures have changed a lot since the 1950s, and so have the fashions (evidenced by Ginger Rogers' wardrobe). But this film has a playful side to it, and it never fails to tickle the funny bone. Cary Grant's personality (and supposedly ideas from his LSD use, too) are all over this film. It's fresh and unconventionally hip (and that never goes out of style in movies).

Monkey Business is Ok and there are parts I really like about it but to me something is still missing.  I can't really put my finger on what is missing,  but one thing I don't like about the film is Rogers' performance.      I'm not saying her acting is weak but she doesn't do anything for me in this film.    

• Like 1

Monkey Business is Ok and there are parts I really like about it but to me something is still missing.  I can't really put my finger on what is missing,  but one thing I don't like about the film is Rogers' performance.      I'm not saying her acting is weak but she doesn't do anything for me in this film.    

I respectfully disagree. What is it about her performance that doesn't work for you?

I respectfully disagree. What is it about her performance that doesn't work for you?

Like I said I can't really pin it down.   I'll have to watch the movie again to see why overall I only find the movie OK.   Maybe it isn't Ginger.     But generally I'm not a fan of post WWII Ginger movies.   But I do love her 30's work and some of her early 40's films as well.

Like I said I can't really pin it down.   I'll have to watch the movie again to see why overall I only find the movie OK.   Maybe it isn't Ginger.     But generally I'm not a fan of post WWII Ginger movies.   But I do love her 30's work and some of her early 40's films as well.

What I like about her in this one is how playful she is-- and I think she and Cary work well together, like they did in ONCE UPON A HONEYMOON. Those scenes where she wants to keep dancing with him at the hotel are hilarious (and though he is not half as good as Fred, it works). I also love how catty she is with Marilyn. She gets a few zingers in!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings