Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Powell Day also Myrna Loy Day?

Myrna Loy is in 7 of the William Powell day movies on Aug. 9th.  No problem as I like both a lot, but think it is interesting.

Of course the two starred in a lot of movies together and they are a great team,   but the programmers could have had scheduled a few of Powell Warner films,  which wouldn't of featured Loy.    I have seen all of the movies playing today except Crossroad so that will be the one I'll be watching later today  (that film features Hedy Lamar).

• Like 1

Of course the two starred in a lot of movies together and they are a great team,   but the programmers could have had scheduled a few of Powell Warner films,  which wouldn't of featured Loy.    I have seen all of the movies playing today except Crossroad so that will be the one I'll be watching later today  (that film features Hedy Lamar).

They scheduled THE ROAD TO SINGAPORE, LAWYER MAN, JEWEL ROBBERY and HIGH PRESSURE. That's four out of fifteen.

Of course, they are sticking to the Turner Library-- and they are not showing the Universal films he made when he left MGM in the late 40s/early 50s.

They scheduled THE ROAD TO SINGAPORE, LAWYER MAN, JEWEL ROBBERY and HIGH PRESSURE. That's four out of fifteen.

Of course, they are sticking to the Turner Library-- and they are not showing the Universal films he made when he left MGM in the late 40s/early 50s.

I could have been more specific in that I was looking for The Kennel Murder Case and Fashions of 1934 (with Bette Davis).   Now that I think more about it,  a few of my other early 30's WB Powell choices were with Kay Francis (One Way Passage),  and TCM might of showed that during the recent Kay tribute.        Of course since we are one an Ann Harding kick,  Double Harness would have been great (but that is an RKO picture). 

HEY,   just noticed TCM did show Double Harness.   I'm on the west coast and I didn't get up early enough to catch that one!     My bad.

Edited by jamesjazzguitar

I could have been more specific in that I was looking for The Kennel Murder Case and Fashions of 1934 (with Bette Davis).   Now that I think more about it,  a few of my other early 30's WB Powell choices were with Kay Francis (One Way Passage),  and TCM might of showed that during the recent Kay tribute.        Of course since we are one an Ann Harding kick,  Double Harness would have been great (but that is an RKO picture). 

DOUBLE HARNESS did air earlier today. Great film!  

ONE WAY PASSAGE did not air during the recent Kay Francis primetime spotlight. We had FOR THE DEFENSE (a Paramount picture) and JEWEL ROBBERY (repeated today).

When someone like Powell is selected for a SUTS tribute and his films are in heavy rotation all year every year this is the perfect time to air some of the lesser seen Universals.

HEY,   just noticed TCM did show Double Harness.   I'm on the west coast and I didn't get up early enough to catch that one!     My bad.

Just watched Double Harness. I love Ann Harding -- she should be SOTM. Though Double Harness certainly has its annoying bits -- that sister!  And the final dinner party was also annoying, but on the whole, I did enjoy the movie.  Waiting for Peter Ibbetson, one of Harding's best.

• Like 1

Just watched Double Harness. I love Ann Harding -- she should be SOTM. Though Double Harness certainly has its annoying bits -- that sister!  And the final dinner party was also annoying, but on the whole, I did enjoy the movie.  Waiting for Peter Ibbetson, one of Harding's best.

Totally agree about Ann and "Double Harness" AND that sister.  Somebody should have smacked her.  Ann does deserve a SOTM, to be sure.

• Like 1

To the original poster-- Myrna Loy & William Powell are often grouped together by TCM's programmers, but of course each one made many films without the other.

TCM packages these frequent costars in a similar way: Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy; Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney; and Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon.

To the original poster-- Myrna Loy & William Powell are often grouped together by TCM's programmers, but of course each one made many films without the other.

TCM packages these frequent costars in a similar way: Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy; Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney; and Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon.

And whadda pairing were Powell and Loy! TopBilled, did you see Crossroads? Powell and Lamarr were icky.

TopBilled, do you happen to know why Powell pronounced his a's as he did?

Another day with a magnificent actor, the gorgeous funny wonderful gone too soon Carole Lombard - sadly, the first picture is with Pat O'Brien, talk about a disgusting pairing. Oh, well, the set will get a little respite.

ETA: hah, it's even in the description. O'Brien playing a woman hater, whaddya know.

the romance of streetwalker Lombard and taxi driver O'Brien, who has a thing against all women.

Well, there's nothing wrong with making William Powell day also Myrna Loy day.  But I understand the intended point.  But since I only watched THE THIN MAN out of the whole bunch, I have really nothing to add or complain about.

It occured to me that anyone could have made anything they wanted out of Powell's comment, "He didn't come anywhere NEAR my tabloids!"  Just as they did Loy's shocked query:  "What's that man doing IN MY DRAWERS?"  All part of that clever writing Drew and Robert O. were talking about before the movie.

By the way, I meant to watch AFTER THE THIN MAN, eh, heh,heh...AFTER "The Thin Man", but didn't...But I wanted to know(since I could never remember...) was THAT the one where the two(Powell and Loy) were going up a staircase to a nightclub on a New Year's Eve just as some henchmen of the club owner were tossing some poor sap down the steps, and Powell remarks, "My, what BIG CONFETTI they throw here!"  Always liked that part and line.

Sepiatone

And whadda pairing were Powell and Loy! TopBilled, did you see Crossroads? Powell and Lamarr were icky.

Another day with a magnificent actor, the gorgeous funny wonderful gone too soon Carole Lombard - sadly, the first picture is with Pat O'Brien, talk about a disgusting pairing. Oh, well, the set will get a little respite.

ETA: hah, it's even in the description. O'Brien playing a woman hater, whaddya know.

the romance of streetwalker Lombard and taxi driver O'Brien, who has a thing against all women.

Lady By Choice - one I have never seen. Looks wonderful, May Robson and Carole Lombard, at their honest best. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Too bad they're on a Sunday, a weekday would have been better.

Lady By Choice - one I have never seen. Looks wonderful, May Robson and Carole Lombard, at their honest best. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Too bad they're on a Sunday, a weekday would have been better.

Ohhhhhhh my dog...................that dolman sleeved velvet number on Carole. Wow. Gorgeous.

Excellent picture. Where has it been for the 20 years TCM has been on the air?

Ohhhhhhh my dog...................that dolman sleeved velvet number on Carole. Wow. Gorgeous.

Excellent picture. Where has it been for the 20 years TCM has been on the air?

LADY BY CHOICE usually airs on Mothers Day. TCM does play it.

Well, there's nothing wrong with making William Powell day also Myrna Loy day.  But I understand the intended point.  But since I only watched THE THIN MAN out of the whole bunch, I have really nothing to add or complain about.

It occured to me that anyone could have made anything they wanted out of Powell's comment, "He didn't come anywhere NEAR my tabloids!"  Just as they did Loy's shocked query:  "What's that man doing IN MY DRAWERS?"  All part of that clever writing Drew and Robert O. were talking about before the movie.

By the way, I meant to watch AFTER THE THIN MAN, eh, heh,heh...AFTER "The Thin Man", but didn't...But I wanted to know(since I could never remember...) was THAT the one where the two(Powell and Loy) were going up a staircase to a nightclub on a New Year's Eve just as some henchmen of the club owner were tossing some poor sap down the steps, and Powell remarks, "My, what BIG CONFETTI they throw here!"  Always liked that part and line.

Sepiatone

Your correct about that scene in ATTM.   A few seconds later they run into the club owner (Dancer),  and Powell says something like 'nice way to treat your customers'.    

I liked CROSSROADS-- but more for Claire Trevor and Basil Rathbone's performances. 

I don't know why Powell pronounced some of his vowels a certain way...

I liked CROSSROADS-- but more for Claire Trevor and Basil Rathbone's performances. 

I don't know why Powell pronounced some of his vowels a certain way...

Spoiler Alert for Crossroads:

Yes,  seeing Rathbone and Trevor was a treat.    Powell was fine as usual but the end was rather conventional.   I was really hoping that Powell's character was that other man and that he really didn't remember due to his accident (i.e. both being true instead of one or the other).   Than at the end he starts to remember (like Ramdom Harvest) and is able to prove Rathbone was the actual killer.   So he isn't convicted for any crimes.

So while the plot was moving along I keep saying:  is this movie just going to end with a standard blackmail from the start type plot?    I hoped it wouldn't,  but it did.

Spoiler Alert for Crossroads:

Yes,  seeing Rathbone and Trevor was a treat.    Powell was fine as usual but the end was rather conventional.   I was really hoping that Powell's character was that other man and that he really didn't remember due to his accident (i.e. both being true instead of one or the other).   Than at the end he starts to remember (like Ramdom Harvest) and is able to prove Rathbone was the actual killer.   So he isn't convicted for any crimes.

So while the plot was moving along I keep saying:  is this movie just going to end with a standard blackmail from the start type plot?    I hoped it wouldn't,  but it did.

I would attribute that to the studio. MGM usually played it safe in these kinds of stories. If it had been made at RKO or independently with distribution through United Artists, it may have been a little less routine and more thought-provoking.  But MGM's production values and the supporting cast (Felix Bressart was also quite good) make it worth watching.