Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beauties of the 30's and 40's

Although these actresses did not come immediately to mind and no one mentioned them, I do believe they had individual beauty.

Alice Faye

Loretta Young

Sylvia Sidney

Claire Trevor

Ann Sheridan

Ann Baxter

There are so many beautiful actresses from this period, that it's difficult to think in just a few, but, in my humble opinion, in terms of "looks" the most outstanding of them all are:

HEDY LAMARR, GENE TIERNEY, LINDA DARNELL, RITA HAYWORTH, FRANCES FARMER, VIVIEN LEIGH, LORETTA YOUNG, GRETA GARBO, DOLORES DEL R?O, AVA GARDNER, JUNE DUPREZ, JEAN SIMMONS and VERONICA LAKE.

Actresses that were who had an oustanding "Patrician" beauty, were: Ann Harding, Madeleine Carroll, Mary Astor (especially in the early 1930s), Olivia de Havilland (in the '30s), Joan Fontaine and Deborah Kerr.

I don't think anyone has mentioned MAUREEN O'HARA yet, filmdom's most beautiful "Irish Rose." I think she would definitely qualify for this list.

(And shame on me for not mentioning her in my earlier post, but I mistakenly thought I'd seen her name among the previous nominees.)

Most everyone has been mentioned that I would name except one: Virginia Bruce. I've brought her name up in a previous topic. She's magnificent. This woman speaks to me like few others ever did. I've got a crush on her the size of the Grand Canyon.

Here are some of my lists, in no particular order:

Silent screen: Dorothy and Lillian Gish, Gloria Swanson, Corrine Griffith, Clara Bow

Brunettes: Hedy Lamarr, Vivien Leigh, Frances Dee, Linda Darnell, Gene Tierney, Paulette Goddard, Geraldine Fitzgerald

Blondes: Carole Lombard, Madeleine Carroll, Ann Harding, Alice Faye, Betty Grable

Redheads: Maureen O'Hara, Rhonda Fleming, Susan Hayward, Arlene Dahl.

Of course, there are many more I'm forgetting.

Deborah

Hi,

One thing about the good old days of classic Hollywood -- there was no mixing up the faces and names of the stars like there is today.

Today everybody has three names and they all come from the same lump of muck.....

My choices are:

Madeleine Carroll

Anita Louise

Virginia Bruce

Evelyn Venable

Jessie Matthews

Maureen O'Hara

Maureen O'Sullivan

Linda Darnell

Of course all the others chosen by everybody are great and don't you wish they were all back????? !!!!!

Larry

Hi, Larry:

Yes, I sure do wish they were all back.

However, one slight comment. I don't know if you mean in movies or what. Maureen O'Hara, thank heaven, is still with us, although she is one of a very few.

Talk about class. A real first-class beauty, actress, and lady. Oscar Hammerstein Ii was nuts not to want her to play Anna in musical version of "King and I." What a wonderful Anna she would have made, especially with that lovely soprano voice.

I recently got a soundtrack to my all-time favorite Maureen-Duke Wayne film, "Quiet Man," which probably shoudl have won best picture over "Greatest Show On Earth."

Take care.

Deborah

My top 5 picks would be (not in order):

Maureen O'Hara

Jean Simmons

Claudette Colbert

Judy Holliday

And, unless I missed it- didnt anyone say Lauren Bacall?

She could have melted any man in "To Have and Have Not"!

ttoons, I agree with you about Lucille Ball--she was gorgeous in the 30's and 40's. There's a topless picture of her from the late 20's/ early 30's I think, when she was trying to make it in New York and she's ethereal. Seriously. Looks like a dryad or wood nymph.

Other beauties:

Marlene Dietrich, especially in pictures by Von Sternberg)

Miriam Hopkins

Anna May Wong

Katharine Hepburn (more in the 40's than the 30's)

Ann Harding (not traditional beautiful, more classical, like a greek statue)

Rita Hayworth (until she cut and bleached her hair for "Lady From Shanghai" what was she thinking??)

Gary Cooper before he got macho (those lashes!)

Robert Donat

Frederic March

And...as a side note on classic movie stars and beauty, a couple of years ago, I discovered cigarette cards. Like baseball cards, except they came in packs of cigarettes in the 20's 30's and 40's, mostly in England. They depicted all sorts of subjects, but Film Stars are the ones I like. I saw some on ebay, bought a set out of curiosity and got hooked. Totally. One of the reasons I like them so much is that they are like mini works of art, usually a water color or pastel drawing of the various movie stars. Lovely.

• 4 weeks later...