Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

They Knew What They Wanted

midnight08

Is this film in some sort of litigation or something as it's never shown? It's an RKO film with Carole Lombard and TCM shows several films from the RKO library but this one is never included.

I'm wondering if there's some legal rights issues preventing it from being shown.

I believe there are literary rights issues.  I ran the picture at CineFest up in Syracuse a couple of years ago.  Went over very well.  My main problem with the film is having a priest played by Frank Fay - one of the nastiest individuals ever to work in show business.  He had the dubious distinction of being despised by just about everybody who knew him.  He was much better suited to showing off Lady Godiva in NOTHING SACRED!

Strange about that youtube.  It must be from a foreign release (there is a PAL DVD) because it only runs 83 minutes.  Even allowing for 24fps vs 25fps it is very short.  The film runs 96 minutes.

I believe there are literary rights issues.  I ran the picture at CineFest up in Syracuse a couple of years ago.  Went over very well.  My main problem with the film is having a priest played by Frank Fay - one of the nastiest individuals ever to work in show business.  He had the dubious distinction of being despised by just about everybody who knew him.  He was much better suited to showing off Lady Godiva in NOTHING SACRED!

Strange about that youtube.  It must be from a foreign release (there is a PAL DVD) because it only runs 83 minutes.  Even allowing for 24fps vs 25fps it is very short.  The film runs 96 minutes.

My problem with the film, Ray, is Laughton's performance.

Do you think that the character of Tony is a simple minded soul with a good heart, or do you think he's just simple minded?

Curious film, too, with the first half played for humour in many respects, before the film takes a decidedly darker turn.

And you're right. That diffident kind of humourous throwaway one liners that Frank Fay did was very effective in his brief scene in Nothing Sacred. Seeing him cast as a priest in this film just seems strange.

And you're right about his being despised in real life.

Fay was once asked by a judge at a trial what he did for a living, to which he replied that he was the world's greatest comedian. When his lawyer warned him that he could be held in contempt, or something, by the judge for that reply, Fay responded, "Well, I had to tell him the truth."

The man had no small ego.

Yes, Fay was hated by everybody. Jews hated him because he was antisemitic, liberals hated him because he was a McCarthyite witchhunter, and everybody else hated him because he was an a$$hole. Once he was onstage and spotting Groucho Marx in the audience, invited him up on stage to perform. When Groucho demurred, Fay sneered, "You really need your brothers, don't you?".

In the same manner he got Bert Wheeler to join him in his act at a showbiz benefit in front of a crowd filled with comedians, and proceeded to berate him with a torrent of insults, ending with, "You certainly aren't much without Woolsey".

To which Wheeler replied, "I can get a round of applause without saying a word". When Fay asked how, Wheeler socked him with a punch to the jaw and walked offstage -- to a round of applause.

• Like 1

In the same manner he got Bert Wheeler to join him in his act at a showbiz benefit in front of a crowd filled with comedians, and proceeded to berate him with a torrent of insults, ending with, "You certainly aren't much without Woolsey".

To which Wheeler replied, "I can get a round of applause without saying a word". When Fat asked how, Wheeler socked him with a punch to the jaw and walked offstage -- to a round of applause.

Bravo!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings