Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More sad news to report everyone; Lauren Bacall passed away today at the age of 89.  Another classic star and timeless beauty has left our midst.  No one combined that sense of earthiness and cool, controlled emotion like Bacall, and she will be terribly missed.  She had such class, and her warmheartedness and sense of humor were well-known to all who worked with her.  I'm so heartbroken over the great ones that are leaving us.  

• Like 3

She's also one of the best actresses, in my opinion, to never have won an Academy Award competitively.  I was watching "Young Man With a Horn" recently, and I was thinking about how awesome it was that all three of the leads were still alive, some 60-odd years later (I think it held a record.) 

I'm actually trying not to get teary with all that's been going on, but it's growing increasingly difficult.

• Like 2

Ugh! I can't take any more of this.  I loved Lauren Bacall.  One of the last survivors from the golden age.  I'll definitely have to watch my Bogie and Bacall movies tonight.  Such a classy woman and she seemed like such a great lady.

• Like 1

This has to be one of the most difficult years in terms of cinematic and entertainment legends passing away, seriously.  I haven't seen anything like this in a while.

And yes, Lauren Bacall emanated class in everything she did, both onscreen and off.  And, she was a fellow September baby AND New Yorker to boot.

I could feel this coming for the last couple of years. She was a native New Yorker and she would always bein the society/gossip pages attending some function or another. Always elegant and still with her opinions. But I'd noticed that she hadn't been spotted for quite some time. I knew she was on in age and I began to wonder if she was sick or not able to get around as well.

So now she is gone. May I say that I loved her to pieces. Her autobio By Myself is a great read and it needs to be read. I am truly sad and shedding tears. Robin Williams was someone that I've been watching since Mork and Mindy and he is a contemporary in way...7 yrs older that I. But I shed no tears for him even thoughhis passing is so very sad. But I've had a mad girl crush on Bacall since the first time I saw her in her

movie debut.

Boy, is she gonna get a Day on TCM. I hope Stephen makes a public comment.

Betty from the Block. Miss you much.

Something is up with my pc so sorry if some sentences come out formatted badly.

PS obrien, I am with you on the Oscar snub. I was waitng that night to hear her name. OMG, I am so bummed by this.

• Like 1

images-13.jpg

I had a chance to meet her years ago when I was in college. She was promoting her book 'Now' and she was honored at a luncheon by the Friends of the USC Library. I felt incredibly fortunate to be able to meet her that afternoon. She shared wonderful stories about Bogart, about Adlai Stevenson (her favorite politician), about Robert Altman (her favorite director) and about Jeanne Moreau (her favorite European actress and close friend). She also talked a good deal about the creative process in filmmaking and in writing one's memoirs. A very intelligent and classy woman who literally had us all captivated that day. I have never forgotten that meeting, and I never shall.

• Like 1

This has to be one of the most difficult years in terms of cinematic and entertainment legends passing away, seriously.  I haven't seen anything like this in a while.

And yes, Lauren Bacall emanated class in everything she did, both onscreen and off.  And, she was a fellow September baby AND New Yorker to boot.

Yes, it is. 

She always seemed to emanate an air of grace and satisfaction, too, as if she was content with her life and what she had experienced and accomplished.

Right-- and I think she lived it on her terms. She lived a good life.

• Like 1

This is too much.  I admired her as a woman and an actress.  She seemed fearless and resourcful yet womanly and proud to be female.

The class extended to her family.  I never met Stephen but his wife Susan was a very sweet lady and that curly-haired little boy who raced his peddle car in my driveway was a real charmer.  There was nothing snobbish about them; in fact I didn't know who they were until after they had moved away.  My condolences to them for a real loss but do they ever have a heritage to be proud of.  

• Like 1

Just heard about Lauren Bacall's passing, one of the greats from "Hollywood's Golden Era". My two favorite films of hers are "How To Marry A Millionaire" and "The Mirror Has Two Faces".

Tonight she and Bogie are "whistling" together again.

RIP Betty Joan Perske

:(

• Like 1

This loss is a big one.  She felt like one of the last of the "living legends" to me, and I had always admired her.  I liked her work, but even moreso her life -- she was one of those who stood up for herself and her beliefs.  I never knew her, never even met her, but we respected many of the same people.  And women who lived life on their own terms when it was even more difficult to do than it is now have a special place in my heart.   

I often comment about how the "great voices" of early Hollywood have vanished and how we are left with forgettable actors with weak "pipes."  Well, no one will ever forget Ms. Bacall's voice and what she could do with it, ever so subtly.

It is a huge loss.  No whistling tonight.

Lauren Bacall is a legend of Hollywood. She had a long and productive life. She definitely needs a tribute on TCM sometime in the next two weeks. Just please don't do it on Claudette Colbert's day , the 18th, or Edmond O'Brien's day, the 27th.

I remember seeing Lauren Bacall in an interview along with Nicole Kidman (apparently they were promoting some movie they were in together) and Bacall chastised the interviewer for referring to Kidman as a "legend" because she (Kidman) hadn't lived long enough to be a legend. I admired her for speaking her mind. I think most other actors would have kept silent to maintain a "smooth" promo for their upcoming movie.

I see that TCM already has a tribute for Bacall scheduled for her birthday on September 16.

• Like 1