Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robin Williams movies

kaslovesTCM

I wonder if TCM will be allowed to show his movies

I think you mean: can TCM get access to his movies by leasing them?   That is a good question because if TCM didn't already have a lease for some of his movies,  the price for leasing them may have gone up,  big time.   Of course a film can be leased IF one is willing to pay the cost but it may be outside TCM's budget to do so.     

I remember a scene from 1983's "THE SURVIVORS" where Robin is on a payphone talking to Jerry Reed and calling him an 'oyster brain'.  That short scene had me cracking up so hard I started coughing.  'THE SURVIVORS' was a Columbia movie, I believe. 

If TCM were able to show it and 'THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP' that would be quite all right.  I remember when 'GARP' came out in theaters in 1982 when I was 9.  I remember seeing a preview where a small airplane flies right into the house Garp is looking to buy.   

The World According To Garp is one of my favorite films. Brilliant performances by everyone including Glenn Close, John Lithgow, Mary Beth Hurt and most especially Robin Williams. Not sure but I think this may have been his first film. Robin Williams proved in that film that he was an outstanding actor. Great, great film and I would LOVE to see it shown on TCM.

• Like 1

I'll vote "don't bother - don't waste money on leasing them - make the film-owners and distributors pay TCM to show them uncut."

The other channels will show them, albeit chopped up.  Fine.  Why shoiuld TCM spend a dime (or consume time) showing them in a superior fashion?  TCM should get paid for showing them uninterrupted.

And I think all of them are on home-video, too.  It's not like these films don't have other marketing efforts behind them.

I'll vote "don't bother".

It's an extremely rare event when a movie that is based on a novel I've read (in this case, 'The World According to Garp' by John Irving) isn't a fairly major disappointment to me.

But this was one case where the exception occurred - and the reason was the performance of Robin Williams who nailed the character from the novel perfectly.

To think this was only his second feature film, and that he'd been known primarily for being zany prior to this. The impression he made upon this movie-lover lasted for his entire career.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings