Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Library of Congress Film Preservation List

Bogie56

Each year the Library of Congress chooses a rather eclectic list of films to "preserve."

The question is: from the list of preserved films, which ones would you most like to see TCM try to schedule?

This is their web site list ....

www.loc.gov/film/registry_titles.php?sort=inductedDesc

I am still trying to catch up with Rouben Mamoulian's 1929 Applause.

And the Joseph Mankiewiscz 1970 documentary: King: A Filmed Record...Montgomery to Memphis.

For a film that I have seen but I would like to see again I might choose Saul Bass' 1968 Oscar winning short, Why Man Creates

Fantasia

Like Disney Channel will ever show it, so why not TCM where it will be appreciated? :)

fantasia-disneyscreencaps.com-2968.jpg?

I loved Fantasia.  I used to own it on VHS.  I should upgrade to Blu-Ray someday.  I haven't seen this film in years.  I remember always loving the part with the dinosaurs.

Attending classic film festivals is my way of seeing rarities that have been recently restored.

Although I'd love TCM to broadcast these, seeing these films in a theater with an audience is the way they were meant to be shown and often helps their coherence.

Just last week I saw HIGH TREASON '29, MORALS '21 and the short MEET MR MISCHIEF '47 with Harry VonZell (a riot!) at Capitol Fest in Rome NY.

Whenever the LOC logo came up on the screen, the audience applauded.

(the featured star was William Powell and we saw some very rare appearances in silent film)

I personally find the list of preserved films a bit flawed.

But to pick one to appear on TCM, a premiere of The Ten Commandments would be very nice.

That one is overdue-- lots of classic stars in that one.

Speaking of overdue premieres, they're finally showing PLANET OF THE APES next month. Yay!