Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Morlock Blogs

speedracer5

I'm curious, are the "Movie Morlock" bloggers paid by TCM for their work? Or are they just fans like us except that their work is published on TCM's site?  Although it seems that there are only so many Morlocks, so they must be hired in some fashion, whether it's through paid or volunteer work.

I'm also curious, I know that TCM programmers occasionally peruse the message boards for ideas.  Do the TCM programmers or other personnel look at the blogs on the Classic Film Union, for example, and use ideas from the blogs or the blog itself for the Movie Morlock site or for programming on TCM?

The reason I ask, is that I'd love to maintain a blog about classic film, stars, whatever else I want and it'd be nice to post it somewhere that would actually get a response, instead of somewhere like BlogSpot where I'd then have to advertise it, so that it functioned as more than just a personal, albeit online, journal. I was thinking that the CFU would be a great place to post my blog entries once they get the site functioning properly.  It'd be really neat to be "discovered" and become a Movie Morlock.  I feel that my writing skills are at least up to par with the existing Morlocks and that I could put together something interesting.  If I can't be a Morlock, I'd at least like to be a prolific blogger on the CFU.

• Like 1

I'm curious, are the "Movie Morlock" bloggers paid by TCM for their work? Or are they just fans like us except that their work is published on TCM's site?  Although it seems that there are only so many Morlocks, so they must be hired in some fashion, whether it's through paid or volunteer work.

I'm also curious, I know that TCM programmers occasionally peruse the message boards for ideas.  Do the TCM programmers or other personnel look at the blogs on the Classic Film Union, for example, and use ideas from the blogs or the blog itself for the Movie Morlock site or for programming on TCM?

The reason I ask, is that I'd love to maintain a blog about classic film, stars, whatever else I want and it'd be nice to post it somewhere that would actually get a response, instead of somewhere like BlogSpot where I'd then have to advertise it, so that it functioned as more than just a personal, albeit online, journal. I was thinking that the CFU would be a great place to post my blog entries once they get the site functioning properly.  It'd be really neat to be "discovered" and become a Movie Morlock.  I feel that my writing skills are at least up to par with the existing Morlocks and that I could put together something interesting.  If I can't be a Morlock, I'd at least like to be a prolific blogger on the CFU.

I've often wondered that too. I have been writing articles at the Classic Film Union for five years, and even shared an article from Movie Morlocks on there. It would be nice to expand. 

Yes, the morlocks are paid by TCM. The TCM programmers do scan the messageboards, but it is uncertain about the CFU.

I think they do. Since 2008, I have noticed that there have been changes of programming running similar to what literature has been posted at the Classic Film Union. 

Seeing how Invision is going to upgrading the CFU soon, maybe it will be easier for them to scan the Classic Film Union. Maybe it's been easier for them to scan the message boards because its easier to glean from the literate viewership what programming it likes and doesn't like. 

I think they do. Since 2008, I have noticed that there have been changes of programming running similar to what literature has been posted at the Classic Film Union. 

Seeing how Invision is going to upgrading the CFU soon, maybe it will be easier for them to scan the Classic Film Union. Maybe it's been easier for them to scan the message boards because its easier to glean from the literate viewership what programming it likes and doesn't like. 

I'm hoping they do.  There are quite a few films that I've heard about that I'd love to see; but they're never scheduled.  I've found that I can buy them through the Warner Brothers Archives, but I'd rather see them first.  Perhaps if I write blogs or what not about them or at least discuss them somehow, maybe the powers that be will schedule them ;-)

I'm looking forward to the new CFU.  Right now, in its current state, it is unusable for me.  Aside from the disastrous profile pages, I find the site difficult to navigate.  Hopefully Invision will fix all this. 

I'm hoping they do.  There are quite a few films that I've heard about that I'd love to see; but they're never scheduled.  I've found that I can buy them through the Warner Brothers Archives, but I'd rather see them first.  Perhaps if I write blogs or what not about them or at least discuss them somehow, maybe the powers that be will schedule them ;-)

I'm looking forward to the new CFU.  Right now, in its current state, it is unusable for me.  Aside from the disastrous profile pages, I find the site difficult to navigate.  Hopefully Invision will fix all this. 

The last week of this month they are planning on fixing it. From the photos the Moderator shared with us here, it looks very very good! 

The last week of this month they are planning on fixing it. From the photos the Moderator shared with us here, it looks very very good! 

Agreed.  I looked at the screen captures and it already looks aesthetically better.  Hopefully it'll function as good as it looks.

• Like 1

It doesn't look too good. Take a look at the capture of The All About Bar again, and you can tell in the backgroud, a listing of some other blogs, and who they were uploaded by. The What's My Line blog does not have a picture and it says N/A when it comes to who uploaded it.

I would expect there to be some bugs with the new coding and such when the project is presumably still in beta mode.  I don't think a missing name makes the whole thing a failure.  Visually, I think it looks better than the current convoluted mess that exists now.  How it actually functions and whether or not it's a viable website is yet to be seen.  I can't judge that until it becomes live.

• Like 1

I would expect there to be some bugs with the new coding and such when the project is presumably still in beta mode.  I don't think a missing name makes the whole thing a failure.  Visually, I think it looks better than the current convoluted mess that exists now.  How it actually functions and whether or not it's a viable website is yet to be seen.  I can't judge that until it becomes live.

I think it needs to be pointed out that the photos the Moderator provided were samples, not the real thing. However, the samples did show the new look, and while I am sure it won't look exactly like the photos, it will be an improvement nonetheless. Hopefully, the improvements we (and I do mean we) all wanted will be realized come the upgrade. 

I think it needs to be pointed out that the photos the Moderator provided were samples, not the real thing. However, the samples did show the new look, and while I am sure it won't look exactly like the photos, it will be an improvement nonetheless. Hopefully, the improvements we (and I do mean we) all wanted will be realized come the upgrade. 

It'd be nice if the blog feature could be more prominent so that the hard work people go through to write these entries have a chance at gaining more traction within the community and hopefully attract the attention of the personnel at TCM and/or the Movie Morlocks!

• Like 2

It'd be nice if the blog feature could be more prominent so that the hard work people go through to write these entries have a chance at gaining more traction within the community and hopefully attract the attention of the personnel at TCM and/or the Movie Morlocks!

Yes, that would be nice. The literature the members have posted are top-notch. Very good stuff has been written there. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings