Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

24 Hour Tribute for Lauren Bacall on TCM

TopBilled

Monday, Sept. 15
8 p.m. - Private Screenings: Lauren Bacall (2005) 
9 p.m. - To Have and Have Not (1944) 
11 p.m. - The Big Sleep (1946) 
1 a.m. - How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) 
2:45 a.m. - Private Screenings: Lauren Bacall (2005) 
3:45 a.m. - Harper (1966) 

Tuesday, Sept. 16
6 a.m. - Bright Leaf (1950) 
8 a.m. - Young Man with a Horn (1950) 
10 a.m. - Dark Passage (1947) 
Noon - Key Largo (1948) 
2 p.m. - Blood Alley (1955) 
4 p.m. - Sex and the Single Girl (1964) 
6 p.m. - Designing Woman (1953) 

Previous schedule was:

Monday September 15

ROBERT OSBORNE’S PICKS

8:00 p.m. Background to Danger (1943)

9:45 p.m. Bombshell (1933)

11:45 p.m. Words and Music (1948)

2:00 a.m. The West Point Story (1950)

4:00 a.m. The Oklahoma Kid (1939)

Tuesday September 16

6:00 a.m. Confidential Agent (1945)

8:00 a.m. Blood Alley (1955)

10:00 a.m. To Have and Have Not (1944)

12:00 p.m. Key Largo (1948)

2:00 p.m. How to Marry a Millionaire (1953)

4:00 p.m. Designing Woman (1957)

6:00 p.m. Young Man with a Horn (1950)

Thanks for putting up the schedule change info. It looks like a well-handled tribute day to me, with little interference. I have no complaints, for a change. ('cept for a little regret for losing The Oklahoma Kid, but I'll survive.)

Special thanks to TCM for including the Private Screenings interview.

Thanks for putting up the schedule change info. It looks like a well-handled tribute day to me, with little interference. I have no complaints, for a change. ('cept for a little regret for losing The Oklahoma Kid, but I'll survive.)

Special thanks to TCM for including the Private Screenings interview.

I was a bit disappointed that CONFIDENTIAL AGENT was dropped and HARPER, which is often played on TCM, was substituted. In CONFIDENTIAL AGENT, she is in her mid-1940s phase at Warners, with Charles Boyer as her costar.

I look forward to seeing the Private Screenings episode again as well as Bright Leaf and Young Man With a Horn.  I, too, wish they hadn't dropped Confidential AgentHarper is hardly a "Lauren Bacall film."  She's only in it for a total of like 10 minutes tops.

While I'm happy that they're giving Bacall a 24 hour tribute, I'm disappointed that Bombshell and West Point Story were dropped.  However, I am sure that they will air again and I will DVR them then.

• Like 1

Bacall's performance in Confidential Agent was savaged by the critics at the time and the film was considered a setback for her after the glowing reviews that she had previously received for To Have and Have Not. Warners were concerned that their newest "property" after that film might be in trouble, so they went through great pains to have her seen to advantage when filming her in her second Bogie co-starring effort, the Big Sleep.

What Confidential Agent does offer us is some disturbing menace brought to the screen by character actress Katina Paxinou (who is truly evil in the film), moreso, I feel, than doing justice to Bacall as a performer. Having said that, I also fully understand the desire of others to see the film in order to make their own assessments.

This is a film that comes on TCM quite often, if that is any compensation for those upset at its cancellation.

Bacall's performance in Confidential Agent was savaged by the critics at the time and the film was considered a setback for her after the glowing reviews that she had previously received for To Have and Have Not. Warners were concerned that their newest "property" after that film might be in trouble, so they went through great pains to have her seen to advantage when filming her in her second Bogie co-starring effort, the Big Sleep.

What Confidential Agent does offer us is some disturbing menace brought to the screen by character actress Katina Paxinou (who is truly evil in the film), moreso, I feel, than doing justice to Bacall as a performer. Having said that, I also fully understand the desire of others to see the film in order to make their own assessments.

This is a film that comes on TCM quite often, if that is any compensation for those upset at its cancellation.

I think it is important to see in order to look at how her early screen persona was shaped by the studio. I figured TCM took it off the schedule because of time constraints or because it was a film Bacall herself may not have liked.

I haven't seen anyone say they were upset that CONFIDENTIAL AGENT was pulled. But I did say I was disappointed, though I understand. I do not think it has aired on TCM since Bacall was Star of the Month two years ago, so it has been awhile.

I've read that Confidential Agent was considered to be a bust.  I'd like to see it for Lauren Bacall alone.  A lot of times, I've heard about movies that were unanimously destroyed by critics only to find that I thought it was pretty good.  I'm not upset that the film was dropped; just disappointed.  I will try and catch it the next time it airs; or see if it is available on Netflix. 

I wish they'd programmed The Cobweb, a fascinating movie with a stellar cast.  (One critic called it "The Drapes of Wrath," most fitting if you've seen the movie!)  But I guess we all have our favorites and they can't show 'em all.  I look forward to her tribute.

I've read that Confidential Agent was considered to be a bust.  I'd like to see it for Lauren Bacall alone. 

I understand that, because you like Bacall. After finally seeing the film, however, I suspect that it will be Katina Paxinou's evil performance, though, that will stay in your memory.

Young Man with a Horn is a terrific film, one of the few that really captures the heart of those people who live and haunt the world of jazz musicians. Kirk Douglas is wonderful in the lead, Doris Day does some great songs, Hoagy Carmichael adds great authenticity to the proceedings, and the sounds of Harry James' horn are to die for (though James' own stylings have nothing in common with the horn playing technique of Bix Beiderbecke, whose life is the basis for the film). Oh, and this Michael Curtiz directed production also has some great NYC on location shooting.

The dramatic weakness of the film, in my opinion (aside from its Hollywood cop out ending) is, unfortunately, that the film gets bogged down to a degree with Douglas' relationship with a complicated Lauren Bacall (whose character, some say, is actually lesbian). I believe that Bacall herself later stated that when playing the part she didn't know that the character was supposedly gay.

Despite that, Young Man with a Horn is still well worth viewing no matter what its flaws. I think this is one of the best films in which Bacall ever appeared.

images10_zps6f233d0a.jpg

I don't think this shot actually appears in the film, but it captures some of the feel of the production.

Some time ago I speculated that this 1950 release might be the oldest film today in which all three of its stars were still alive. It may still hold some kind of record in this respect, even with just Douglas and Day still being with us. Bacall and Douglas, by the way, were friends. I believe that Lauren was instrumental in helping Kirk get his introduction into Hollywood.

Young Man with a Horn is a terrific film, one of the few that really captures the heart of those people who live and haunt the world of jazz musicians. Kirk Douglas is wonderful in the lead, Doris Day does some great songs, Hoagy Carmichael adds great authenticity to the proceedings, and the sounds of Harry James' horn are to die for (though James' own stylings have nothing in common with the horn playing technique of Bix Beiderbecke, whose life is the basis for the film). Oh, and this Michael Curtiz directed production also has some great NYC on location shooting.

The dramatic weakness of the film, in my opinion (aside from its Hollywood cop out ending) is, unfortunately, that the film gets bogged down to a degree with Douglas' relationship with a complicated Lauren Bacall (whose character, some say, is actually lesbian). I believe that Bacall herself later stated that when playing the part she didn't know that the character was supposedly gay.

Despite that, Young Man with a Horn is still well worth viewing no matter what its flaws. I think this is one of the best films in which Bacall ever appeared.

images10_zps6f233d0a.jpg

I don't think this shot actually appears in the film, but it captures some of the feel of the production.

Some time ago I speculated that this 1950 release might be the oldest film today in which all three of its stars were still alive. It may still hold some kind of record in this respect, even with just Douglas and Day still being with us. Bacall and Douglas, by the way, were friends. I believe that Lauren was instrumental in helping Kirk get his introduction into Hollywood.

Of all of Bacall's films, she is the most unappealing in YMWAH. They shouldn't pick that one.

Seems like a good programming strategy....expand the already scheduled birthday tribute to Bacall wothout preempting anything rare or essential. There shouldnt be nearly as much grumbling as some other preemptions due to tributes.

And the other good thing about waiting until mid-September is that it marks what would have been her 90th birthday. So they did this one correctly.

I wish they'd programmed The Cobweb, a fascinating movie with a stellar cast.  (One critic called it "The Drapes of Wrath," most fitting if you've seen the movie!)  But I guess we all have our favorites and they can't show 'em all.  I look forward to her tribute.

I like THE COBWEB, too. From what I read, it was intended by MGM to star Grace Kelly but when she left for Monaco this project and DESIGNING WOMAN were given to Bacall. Vincente Minnelli directed both.

YMWAH  is one of the few films with a male and female lead who are both Jewish. THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT is another..

In the original Broadway production of The Owl and the Pussycat, the leads were an Irish-Italian man (Alan Alda) and an African American woman (Diana Sands), who got a Tony nomination for her performance.  Hollywood did its typical copout in the film version when it dodged the interracial bullet and cast Streisand in the role.

DIANAtqgzo1_400.jpg

Don't forget THE GOOD EARTH. Well perhaps one and half Jewish.

We can add on  UP IN ARMS with Danny Kaye and Dinah Shore, BODY AND SOUL with John Garfield and Lili Palmer , SILVER DOLLAR with Edward G. Robinson and Aline Mac Mahon. Yes, Aline Mac Mahon was Jewish.

• Like 1

Of all of Bacall's films, she is the most unappealing in YMWAH. They shouldn't pick that one.

What, better to pick an inferior film in which Bacall happens to be better? She appeared in few films as good as Young Man with a Horn.

• Like 1

We can add on  UP IN ARMS with Danny Kaye and Dinah Shore, BODY AND SOUL with John Garfield and Lili Palmer , SILVER DOLLAR with Edward G. Robinson and Aline Mac Mahon. Yes, Aline Mac Mahon was Jewish.

We've stumbled upon an expert on who's Jewish. Too bad my late grandfather never got to meet you.

We've stumbled upon an expert on who's Jewish. Too bad my late grandfather never got to meet you.

Here's a few more.  HE RAN ALL THE WAY with John Garfield and Shelley Winters,SON OF ALI BABA with Tony Curtis,Piper Laurie,and Susan Cabot. There's 3 in that one.  FORGET PARIS with Billy Crystal and Debra Winger. DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS with Richard Dreyfuss and Bette Midler. SCENES FROM A MALL with Woody Allen and Bette Midler. FUNNY LADY with Barbara Streisand and James Caan. Thanks for the compliment. That's what happens when you encourage me. I'll meet your grandfather up there someday.

Best thing I can say is that TCM picked a day that was already devoted to her, so they had only a few pre-emptions.

However, still say TCM needs to cut the tributes to 12 hours or less and do them when they can be published in advance in Now Playing.

• Like 1

YMWAH  is one of the few films with a male and female lead who are both Jewish. THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT is another..

Is this really significant?  I'm not Jewish, but I find this kind of offensive-in addition to the posts in reply to it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings