Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This movie was introduced by Robert Osborne, he called it a little known gem in the style of The Thin Man. It was shown in 2008ish and stupid me thought I would remember the title. The couple in the film were contemplating divorce before they came across a dead body and set out to discover the murderer. The suspects revolved around a family and one was a photographer I think, the climatic scene took place at a dinner party (possible reception). I cannot remember the stars of the film but I recall Mr. Osborne saying one of the leads was up and coming. I know he said it was released around the time of The Thin Man and because there were so many copy cats of the formula it was largely dismissed without being given a chance. He was right, I found it just as entertaining as Thin Man, very funny, with a scene with a police detective and an old metal elevator quite funny. The married couple bickered throughout, but in the end stayed together (after solving the crime). The couple's apartment had a rear door that led to the buildings staircase (I believe that is where the body was found). I wish I could remember more details but I waited too long to actually post asking for help. I am OBSESSED with finding this movie and would greatly appreciate any help.

You might want to try THE EX-MRS.BRADFORD (1936) It stars William Powell and Jean Arthur. They are a divorced couple but get back together again. They solve a murder and a cameraman helps them.In the end they invite the suspects to their suite where they solve the murder. James Gleason is the police detective.

Also check out 2 films THERE'S ALWAYS A WOMAN (1938) - Melvyn Douglas and Joan Blondell and

(1939)THERE'S THAT WOMAN AGAIN - Melvyn Douglas and Virginia Bruce.

There's the 1938-1939- series Fast & Furious, Fast Company and Fast and Loose. But I think it might be THE EX-MRS.BRADFORD. Hope one of those is the film you're looking for.

You might want to try THE EX-MRS.BRADFORD (1936) It stars William Powell and Jean Arthur. They are a divorced couple but get back together again. They solve a murder and a cameraman helps them.In the end they invite the suspects to their suite where they solve the murder. James Gleason is the police detective.

Also check out 2 films THERE'S ALWAYS A WOMAN (1938) - Melvyn Douglas and Joan Blondell and

(1939)THERE'S THAT WOMAN AGAIN - Melvyn Douglas and Virginia Bruce.

There's the 1938-1939- series Fast & Furious, Fast Company and Fast and Loose. But I think it might be THE EX-MRS.BRADFORD. Hope one of those is the film you're looking for.

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford is a good pick. I didn't want to mention that one because it comes after The Thin Man - yet still a very good possibility here. Thanks, lavender.

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford is a good pick. I didn't want to mention that one because it comes after The Thin Man - yet still a very good possibility here. Thanks, lavender.

Well a lot of the so called 'facts' in the OP don't match Ex-Mrs. Bradford (e.g. Powell and Arthur were already divorced in the film (this is why it is called EX Mrs and not 'about to become Ex-Mrs),  both were stars by this time and NOT 'on their way up' etc..),   BUT since users often gets facts wrong when asking 'what movie is this',   it just could be the movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings