Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Blunder In SILVER STREAK

Palmerin

In this mystery-comedy, the McGuffin--to use the Hitchcockian expression--is a fake Rembrandt that Patrick McGoohan is trying to unload. In one scene McGoohan is reading a LETTER OF REMBRANDT that proves the painting is fake, and then proceeds to BURN IT.

Seeing that scene almost gave me a heart attack, because only about half a dozen letters of Rembrandt survive, which means that McGoohan burned a priceless treasure infinitely more valuable than his worthless forgery!

What other spectacular blunders like this have you seen in other movies?

In this mystery-comedy, the McGuffin--to use the Hitchcockian expression--is a fake Rembrandt that Patrick McGoohan is trying to unload. In one scene McGoohan is reading a LETTER OF REMBRANDT that proves the painting is fake, and then proceeds to BURN IT.

Seeing that scene almost gave me a heart attack, because only about half a dozen letters of Rembrandt survive, which means that McGoohan burned a priceless treasure infinitely more valuable than his worthless forgery!

What other spectacular blunders like this have you seen in other movies?

1976's Silver Streak starring Gene Wilder, Jill Clayburgh and Richard Pryor is one of my top 5 favorite movies.  However, it is only a movie so I think almost having a heart attack over burning a piece of prop paper may be an over reaction. 

It is a very good, entertaining movie and not to be confused with the 1930's Silver Streak.

• Like 1

1976's Silver Streak starring Gene Wilder, Jill Clayburgh and Richard Pryor is one of my top 5 favorite movies.  However, it is only a movie so I think almost having a heart attack over burning a piece of prop paper may be an over reaction. 

You remind me of a childhood friend (?!) of my mother whose sadistic idea of fun was to ruin everybody's movie watching pleasure with comments such as DON'T WORRY; THOSE ARE NOT REAL BULLETS, SO THE HERO IS NOT REALLY IN DANGER and DON'T WORRY; HE IS THE HERO, SO HE IS NOT GOING TO DIE.

1976's Silver Streak starring Gene Wilder, Jill Clayburgh and Richard Pryor is one of my top 5 favorite movies.  

I recently got SILVER STREAK and STIR CRAZY out of the library, since I had never seen either. I was disappointed with SS because the really funny stuff happened when Pryor came in-45 minutes into the movie!

STIR CRAZY was a bit better since the "team" was in the entire movie. 

However, it is only a movie so I think almost having a heart attack over burning a piece of prop paper may be an over reaction. 

The entire story fell apart for me at the end, because Wilder & Pryor were freed after escaping prison. Mr Teek (a CO) & I just shook our heads because escaping from prison is a HUGE offense, more than doubling their "time".

This mistake ruined my overall enjoyment of the movie and opened a family discussion of how far accuracy has come in filmmaking in the past few decades.

And of course, TikiKid rejected all the black stereotype jokes, not even laughing when Wilder tried acting "black". 

Despite a few hilarious moments, neither film held up very well over time for me.

TikiSoo.  Foir me, it's probably more related to someone who likes trains, especially passenger trains.  Also, it's a sort of road movie.  And of course liking Gene Wilder and Jill Clayburgh both a lot.

seen all of the Wilder/Pryor movies and SS is still the best to me.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings