Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Three Days Of The Condor

Metairie Road

A much better film than I remember it as being (I hope that's a coherent sentence).

Amazingly this film could be made today without changes - Oil, chaos in the middle-east, the US government doing God-knows-what on behalf of the American people.

Some Critics dismissed the film as simply the product of Sydney Pollacks left-wing leanings. That may or may not be the case, I don't know, but the idea that elements of the US government have pretty much set up business on their own and are accountable to no one - and anything goes, is a disturbing thought regardless of which side of the political fence you are on.

The scenes of violence in the film were effectively handled; Brief, nasty and very disturbing. Are there really people in the (so called) 'intelligence community' to whom the lives of ordinary people are so disposable? - I name no names. After all, the CIA or the NSA, or TCM, or UPS may be monitoring this forum and I don't want some psychopathic government goon coming to my house and putting a bullet through my head (If I'm not back in a couple of days then you'll know what happened).

OK, paranoid drunken rant over.

And Robert Redford **** me off as well. Good looking, charming, talented and rich.

And Metairie walks off stage muttering something about the unfairness of it all.......

Actually, there are some institutions that have that quality.

Not neccessarily a business started up by the government, but a judicial entity that's not accountable to anybody.  Their decisions can't be dismissed or appealed, nor can they face any reprimand for their mistakes or screw-ups.  It's known as "The Friend of the Court".  Any guy who's been divorced has had to deal with something like these doofs.  After all they put me through I believe one must FAIL an intelligence test in order to be hired by this "cluster".

Sepiatone

• Like 1

My thought is that it is largely a work of fiction with very little basis in fact, just conspiracy theories-- but it is a very entertaining work of fiction. Film should make us think, and this one does. So even if it is a little bit careless with its power, it still comes out on the right side.

My thought is that it is largely a work of fiction with very little basis in fact, just conspiracy theories-- but it is a very entertaining work of fiction. Film should make us think, and this one does. So even if it is a little bit careless with its power, it still comes out on the right side.

I agree.   Just focus on the very fine acting and the entertaining story and it is a very good movie.   It was nice to see it without interuptions.

I think if we had ANY idea just how crazy the world really is that it would blow our minds.

I have enjoyed this movie since I first saw it in the theater.  Pollack made such solid, watchable films, with very little artifice.  His death at such a young age was terrible.  My wife hates the entire "Stockholm Syndrome" love story and the "...trees with no leaves" interlude, but I'm willing to overlook it.

The film moves along at a crisp pace and both of the stars really deliver.  Oh, and Robertson and Van Sydow are great as well.

But, at the end of the day, it's a great script that a great director really made work....

Some critics dismissed the film as simply the product of Sydney Pollacks left-wing leanings. That may or may not be the case, I don't know, but the idea that elements of the US government have pretty much set up business on their own and are accountable to no one - and anything goes, is a disturbing thought regardless of which side of the political fence you are on.

At the time the movie was released, there were at least two groups investigating domestic abuses by the CIA and other government agencies. One was headed by Vice President Rockefeller and the other by U.S. Senator Frank Church (D-Idaho). Remember, the CIA isn't supposed to be involved in domestic issues. 

Of course, the final scenes of "Three Days of the Condor" must have struck a chord with audiences because everyone knew the subject matter of Redford's next big movie -- "Woodstein."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings