Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A beloved New Yorker who loved classic films: Florence Otway of the Theatre 80 St. Marks has died

Swithin

The longest-running revival house in New York City was the beloved Theatre 80 St. Marks, in the East Village. Owned and operated by Howard Otway, many of us remember his beloved wife Florence, who sold tickets on weekend evenings. Howard died many years ago; I've just read that Florence, his wife and Co-founder of the Theatre 80, died recently.  I did not know that she had quite an impressive career as a shoe designer, or that Edward G. Robinson was her cousin. Although her obituary states that she retired in 1990, after which she worked full-time with her husband, I remember her best from those weekends in the 1970s and 80s, when she was a cheerful and gracious presence behind the ticket window, on Saturday nights.

http://thevillager.com/2014/07/24/florence-otway-shoe-designer-theatre-80-co-founder/

• Like 3