Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Half-way through this year's SUTS-- favorite days so far...?

We're heading into the final stretch for 2018...

1    frank sinatra
2    myrna loy
3    lionel atwill
4    clint eastwood
5    katharine hepburn
6    audrey totter
7    harold lloyd
8    jeanette macdonald
9    walter matthau
10  dorothy malone
11  gary cooper (backlot pick)
12  doris day
13  george brent
14  lupe velez
15  peter finch
16  miriam hopkins
17  barbra streisand
18  clark gable
19  judy garland
20  stewart granger
21  anita louise (backlot pick)
22  dana andrews
23  virginia mayo
24  peter lorre
25  carroll baker
26  anthony quinn
27  agnes moorehead
28  lew ayres
29  lauren bacall
30  marcello mastroianni
31  joan crawford

screen-shot-2017-05-03-at-4-26-21-pm.png

• 11 months later...
15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Well here we are enjoying another year of Summer Under the Stars.

I think they came up with some good selections this time. 

So far, I've enjoyed the Melvyn Douglas day the most.

Same here;   Douglas day was great with a nice mix of films from various studios and parts of his long and distinguished career. 

• Like 3

Count me in as another fan of Melvyn Douglas day.  It’s only been in recent years that I’ve become aware of what a wonderful actor he was.  He really had two separate movie careers, didn’t he?  First as the debonair leading man of 1930’s/1940’s romantic comedies (I think he had the lightest of touches and sensational chemistry with virtually every leading lady he worked with), then the wise, plain-spoken old man in the 1960’s and 1970’s.  I re-watched “Hud” a few months ago—I can’t think of another ‘60’s movie that can boast 3 such brilliant performances as Douglas, Paul Newman and Patricia Neal.  And I loved him as the slightly batty naval officer in one of my very favorite movies, “The Americanization of Emily.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Well here we are enjoying another year of Summer Under the Stars.

I think they came up with some good selections this time. 

So far, I've enjoyed the Melvyn Douglas day the most.

I'll give you a Bronx Cheer for this post, TopBilled; only because we're not even a third of the way into August (thread title says half-way)!  I agree though that Melvin Douglas day was a treat.  I also enjoyed Ava Gardner day on the 8th.  It still slays me that she only nabbed 1 Academy Award nomination, and it was for her role in 'Mogambo' (yuck!).  I thought she was nomination-worthy in 'The Killers', 'Bhowani Junction', and 'The Barefoot Contessa'.  I suspect it's been ages since TCM showed 'The Snows of Kilimanjaro'.  Gardner and Gregory Peck made an attractive screen couple.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Nightbird311 said:

Count me in as another fan of Melvyn Douglas day.  It’s only been in recent years that I’ve become aware of what a wonderful actor he was.  He really had two separate movie careers, didn’t he?  First as the debonair leading man of 1930’s/1940’s romantic comedies (I think he had the lightest of touches and sensational chemistry with virtually every leading lady he worked with), then the wise, plain-spoken old man in the 1960’s and 1970’s.  I re-watched “Hud” a few months ago—I can’t think of another ‘60’s movie that can boast 3 such brilliant performances as Douglas, Paul Newman and Patricia Neal.  And I loved him as the slightly batty naval officer in one of my very favorite movies, “The Americanization of Emily.”

Yes, I think he's brilliant in THE AMERICANICATION OF EMILY. It's a performance that stands out for me. Plus the performance he gives in I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER...that's another memorable Melvyn Douglas role. He just seemed to get better and better as a character actor. Though, as you say, he was certainly very good in those earlier films from the 30s and 40s.

I've only been recording things here and there, but I would agree that Melvyn Douglas day and Ava Gardner day have been the best so far, they're the days I've recorded the most things.  I did record The Uninvited on Ruth Hussey day.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the month--especially Errol Flynn day! I literally own every single film scheduled, but I will still watch.  Errol Flynn day is also the same day as the annual Food and Wine Festival in my town (held 4 blocks from my house!).  I am throwing an Errol Flynn Wine Party! 

• Like 1

It wasn't until I sat down and went through the entire list of SUTS selections that I realized how many repeat performers there were this year: Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Marlon Brando, Kirk Douglas, Ava Gardner, Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart are all appearing for at least the fourth time this year!

I can't really pick a favorite day. Because of my obsession with baseball, I typically just don't watch much of SUTS. But I have caught two Fonda movies, one Lena Horne and one Gardner so far.

• Thanks 1

In reality, none, though I did like one of Hussey's films I saw. It would probably be better if instead of a star a day they would take all the stars of SUTS and randomly show just their films during the month. You know mix it up a bit. Even Red Skelton gets pretty old after a whole day.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

In reality, none, though I did like one of Hussey's films I saw. It would probably be better if instead of a star a day they would take all the stars of SUTS and randomly show just their films during the month. You know mix it up a bit. Even Red Skelton gets pretty old after a whole day.

I think you've just upset the entire Red Skelton fan base. :) 

• 11 months later...

The Sylvia Sidney day was my favorite one so far this year (2020).

The other ones I am looking forward to are: John Barrymore; Nina Foch; George Raft; and Claudette Colbert.

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 10.59.27 AM

1    barbara stanwyck
2    rock hudson
3    rita hayworth
4    s.z. sakall (tcm backlot selection)
5    ann miller
6    burt lancaster
7    sylvia sidney
8    charlie chaplin
9    goldie hawn
10  norma shearer
11  sammy davis 
12  lana turner
13  john barrymore
14  steve mcqueen
15  nina foch
16  cary grant
17  maureen o'hara
18  warren beatty
19  dolores del rio
20  william powell
21  diana dors 
22  natalie wood
23  olivia de havilland
24  george raft
25  anne shirley
26  laurence olivier
27  claudette colbert (tcm backlot selection)
28  paul henreid
29  eva marie saint
30  charlton heston
31  alain delon

screen-shot-2017-05-03-at-4-26-21-pm.png

27 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Sylvia Sidney has been my favorite, so far, too.  I love Barbara Stanwyck but I had seen all of her films before.  

Yeah, it would have been nice if they'd shown some of Stanwyck's "missing" films, like THE PLOUGH AND THE STARS, ALWAYS GOODBYE, THE BRIDE WORE BOOTS and THE NIGHT WALKER.

Or maybe substituted DOUBLE INDEMNITY with THE FILE ON THELMA JORDON since she plays a femme fatale in both stories.

Some variety wouldn't hurt!

• Like 1