Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Half-way through this year's SUTS-- favorite days so far...?

TB, why are you responding to this as if someone has accused you of misspelling the word?

You were not referenced in LHF's spelling correction post or in my comment on it.

Because I want others to know I am in the clear with my spelling. LOL  Also, to be honest, it bothers me that we are getting off track by criticizing the spelling of other posters. The difference between drek and dreck is quite minor.

"I didn't feel like Osborne's commentary was needed on Labor Day. The programming did not exactly relate to the holiday."

-it was necessary to explain why the shown films related to the Telluride Day tribute. Only wish he'd started earlier to comment on "Russian Ark", which may have been confusing to viewers without any background on the film. (or could've shown the 'how it was made' short)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Z4bUfUYdw

Because I want others to know I am in the clear with my spelling. LOL  Also, to be honest, it bothers me that we are getting off track by criticizing the spelling of other posters. The difference between drek and dreck is quite minor.

Well, remember that YOU criticized someone in the past for making a post in the "General Discussions" forum that you felt belonged in the "Films and Filmmakers" forum which took  discussion of the topic at hand off track . . .

• Like 2

Well, remember that YOU criticized someone in the past for making a post in the "General Discussions" forum that you felt belonged in the "Films and Filmmakers" forum which took discussion of the topic at hand off track . . .

Holden,

You are going out of your way to quarrel and usually you are quite reasonable so this surprises me. Then we have another poster who still nurses a grudge clicking 'like' on it. Come on folks, life is way too short to quarrel with me on a message board and to waste negativity on me. A spelling mistake is not the end of the world. Moving on...

Holden,

You are going out of your way to quarrel and usually you are quite reasonable so this surprises me. Then we have another poster who still nurses a grudge clicking 'like' on it. Come on folks, life is way too short to quarrel with me on a message board and to waste negativity on me. A spelling mistake is not the end of the world. Moving on...

Sad, isn't it TopBilled?

Can't we all just get along?

urban dictionary    ---    drek  ----  means **** in Yiddish Get that piece of drek away from me!

merriam webster  ---    dreck ---  noun \ˈdrek\: something that is of very bad quality : trash or rubbish

It's still drek/dreck to me. Yawn. -_-

• Like 1

I wonder if people are enjoying this year's offerings as much as last year...

I wonder if people are enjoying this year's offerings as much as last year...

No. But my teevee is getting a rest since TCM isn't classically classic all the time anymore.

Tierney was lovely, Mitchum (sorry, you lovely man) was ignorable in his Westerns, Fairbanks Jr. was fun, and Mae Clarke was okay in some.

All the rest, for the most part, make my teeth itch. And some whom I expected to like were disappointing, i.e., Ralph hitting Clarke, Dietrich, always a bore, ruining Stage Fright for me.

I'm looking forward to Virigina Bruce. Too bad the lovely Warren William wasn't included (heck, if they can disgust me with John Wayne), and of COURSE, why couldn't a day have been devoted to George Sanders? The rest of the upcoming schedule is a washout.

Well, when TCM spends as much money as they do on the graphics of SUTS, they're bound not to spend too much time thinking about the actual stars.

Lovely to see threads with your name on them, TB.  ;) Do you follow TCM on Facebook and Twitter? If not, you should.

Let's keep you on Page One, shall we? 

• Like 1

No. But my teevee is getting a rest since TCM isn't classically classic all the time anymore.

Tierney was lovely, Mitchum (sorry, you lovely man) was ignorable in his Westerns, Fairbanks Jr. was fun, and Mae Clarke was okay in some.

All the rest, for the most part, make my teeth itch. And some whom I expected to like were disappointing, i.e., Ralph hitting Clarke, Dietrich, always a bore, ruining Stage Fright for me.

I'm looking forward to Virigina Bruce. Too bad the lovely Warren William wasn't included (heck, if they can disgust me with John Wayne), and of COURSE, why couldn't a day have been devoted to George Sanders? The rest of the upcoming schedule is a washout.

Well, when TCM spends as much money as they do on the graphics of SUTS, they're bound not to spend too much time thinking about the actual stars.

Lovely to see threads with your name on them, TB.  ;) Do you follow TCM on Facebook and Twitter? If not, you should.

Let's keep you on Page One, shall we? 

Nice to see you back posting. The Virginia Bruce day will be mostly her MGM programmers and B films from the 30s...many that show up often on TCM because they are in the channel's library. But I am glad they're recognizing her. Lovely lady.

I don't follow TCM on Twitter. Only rarely do I check TCM out on Facebook. I figure if TCM has its own site and message board community, then I will use it and not another platform to discuss what they're airing.

There are two A musicals TCM is putting in the nighttime--all times E.S.T.

11:00 p.m.--Born to Dance--Virginia Bruce & a Cole Porter score featuring "Easy to Love" & more

1:00 a.m.--"The Great Ziegfeld"--LLong MGM musical, but well worth watching.

• Like 1

There are two A musicals TCM is putting in the nighttime--all times E.S.T.

11:00 p.m.--Born to Dance--Virginia Bruce & a Cole Porter score featuring "Easy to Love" & more

1:00 a.m.--"The Great Ziegfeld"--LLong MGM musical, but well worth watching.

Yes, but of course, those are not Virginia Bruce vehicles. She is merely support in those more prestigious films. Not knocking the situation-- it was the reality of her time at MGM. She was served better at Universal in the 40s when she freelanced.

Oh, and BTW--the Marx Bros. day was my favorite (if TCM had just put Duck Soup on in the early morning, instead of Two Sailors and a Girl--Groucho looked sick in TSAAG.

• Like 1

I am sticking with Patricia Neal and Alan Arkin. They both won acclaim on Broadway before coming to Hollywood. I wish that TCM had shown the Private Screenings interview Robert Osbourne did with Patricia. She was very forthcoming and delightful. I rewatched WAIT UNTIL DARK 1967 for the tenth time. Alan`s villainous role as Harry Roat is still scary to watch. Pat and Alan brought diversity to their roles.

• Like 2

My two very favorite days were definitely Gene Tierne's Day and Groucho Marx's day (which was basically The Marx Brothers day). Gene Tierney is one of my favorite actresses, and the line-up of her films included 5 movies in a row that are some of my absolute favorites! I believe the block of movies (my favorites) started off with Laura, then The Razor's Edge, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Heaven Can Wait, and Advise and Consent. five altogether wonderful movies!

As for The Marx Brothers, I love every one of their movies; they're far and away my favorite comedy team! Also, I was in bed sick that whole day, and let me tell you, a WHOLE day of Marx Brothers movies was the only thing that could make being sick bearable! Just the shear lightheadedness and fun of the brothers makes it hard to be miserable!

So Yeah, those are definitely two of my favorites. I can't believe SUTS is almost over, the month went by so quickly!

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Alan Arkin's day, since it was just this past Saturday! what a terrific actor! I'm so happy TCM gave him a day; an actor with such talent and longevity deserves it! I love Wait Until Dark, and this was my first viewing of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter--I loved it. I also thought Popi was wonderful and sweet without being overly saccharine. All of the movies were great and interesting. Even Little Murders, which I'd never seen or heard of before, was pretty good, though it did take me by surprise in many ways since I didn't quite know what to expect out of the movie. Watching that movie was definitely an interesting experience! I love it when a movie genuinely shocks me, that's a very rare thing these days!

So all in all, Alan Arkin day was a really, really good day.

• Like 3

Nice to see you back posting. The Virginia Bruce day will be mostly her MGM programmers and B films from the 30s...many that show up often on TCM because they are in the channel's library. But I am glad they're recognizing her. Lovely lady.

I don't follow TCM on Twitter. Only rarely do I check TCM out on Facebook. I figure if TCM has its own site and message board community, then I will use it and not another platform to discuss what they're airing.

Thanks, TB.

Today is going to be one of those 'I can't move until the PR break' schedules! Like the good old days. Few and far between.

Excellent actor, Bruce was. I bet she didn't get the respect she deserved. Just another head in the herd.

and not another platform to discuss what they're airing.

Well...................... ;)

Ooopsie, almost off the page, TB. Gotta keep at it, I-N-C and all that jazz.

I respect your opinion, TB. Are George Brent and Walter Pidgeon good actors? I know the other actors I hate - Wayne and O'Brien, e.g. - are very, very, very bad actors, but people seem to like Brent and Pidgeon.

Do you?

I had to turn off three perfectly good Virginia Bruce movies today, all in a row, because these skin-crawling hacks were front and center. I guess they made MGM gobs of money because the audiences in those days weren't any too sophisticated.

If you say they are good, could you opine, briefly or otherwise, your choice, on why you think they are good?

If they make your skin crawl and your teeth itch and your eyes bleed as much as they do me, then we're good. :D

[..]

Edited by TCMModerator1
edited for inappropriate content

Funny ain't it folks how some people tend to often take a thread with a title that includes the phrase, "Favorite(for you Anglophiles out there, this would of course be "Favourite") days so far", and then take the opportunity to wax poetic and tell us of their extreme dislikes if not outright hatreds within said thread?

(...I dunno, maybe it's just me...I tend to notice stuff like this somehow, ya know...but hey, as they say, it's a free country, right?!)

• Like 2

I am sticking with Patricia Neal and Alan Arkin. They both won acclaim on Broadway before coming to Hollywood. I wish that TCM had shown the Private Screenings interview Robert Osbourne did with Patricia. She was very forthcoming and delightful. I rewatched WAIT UNTIL DARK 1967 for the tenth time. Alan`s villainous role as Harry Roat is still scary to watch. Pat and Alan brought diversity to their roles.

Great comment. I agree that these performers, Neal & Arkin, bring diversity to their roles. Neal does it without relying on accents or other actor tricks. 

My two very favorite days were definitely Gene Tierne's Day and Groucho Marx's day 

I wasn't exactly pleased by Tierney's day. I felt it should have been a George Sanders day (see that other thread where people are opining that he should be Star of the Month). Plus Tierney had the honor not very long ago.

I wasn't exactly pleased by Tierney's day. I felt it should have been a George Sanders day (see that other thread where people are opining that he should be Star of the Month). Plus Tierney had the honor not very long ago.

I agree that Sanders is great and deserving of a day, although I still wouldn't trade Tierney's day -- there were just so many good movies. I'm probably biased though, because, as I said, Tierney is one of my favorite actresses.

I agree that Sanders is great and deserving of a day, although I still wouldn't trade Tierney's day -- there were just so many good movies. I'm probably biased though, because, as I said, Tierney is one of my favorite actresses.

Agree. 

In addition, there were so many stinko actors, an outstanding one like George could have easily been substituted.

• Like 1

I felt like Tierney and De Havilland were bones the TCM programming department threw to Osborne, enticing him back to work after his lengthy absence in the late spring/early summer. 

So, TB, what is your opinion of Brent and Pidgeon? 

I like Brent and Pidgeon, though my enjoyment of their work probably defies logic. LOL Brent just seems to effortlessly play off strong women, and I like that about him. Pidgeon's voice and classiness are what I like most about him. Also, who else could have played off Greer Garson so many times, so well?

• Like 1

I like Brent and Pidgeon, though my enjoyment of their work probably defies logic. LOL Brent just seems to effortlessly play off strong women, and I like that about him. Pidgeon's voice and classiness are what I like most about him. Also, who else could have played off Greer Garson so many times, so well?

Perfect answer! Thanks.

Sadly, it's another teevee gets a rest day. One that could have been devoted to George Sanders.  :(

• Like 1

Perfect answer! Thanks.

Sadly, it's another teevee gets a rest day. One that could have been devoted to George Sanders.  :(

I am still optimistic that TCM can still provide viewers with a George Sanders tribute. It will be an excellent day when that happens. :)