Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Half-way through this year's SUTS-- favorite days so far...?

The Bergman and Marx days were the best so far.

I didn't realize Ingrid had been so awarded throughout her career-- I knew she had earned three Oscars..but there were also Golden Globes, Emmys and Tonys too.

The 2015 Summer Under the Stars programming seemed to have something for everyone.

I would say my favorite day so far this year (the 2016 version of Summer Under the Stars) has been the one for Fay Wray. I felt the programmers did an excellent job going back to her silent film beginnings and also showing films she made at a variety of studios. Plus, her tribute was long overdue. She accomplished much more than KING KONG, which people seem to forget.

I am looking forward to the days for Janet Gaynor, Anne Baxter, Van Johnson and Charles Boyer. 

• Like 2

I would say my favorite day so far this year (the 2016 version of Summer Under the Stars) has been the one for Fay Wray. I felt the programmers did an excellent job going back to her silent film beginnings and also showing films she made at a variety of studios. Plus, her tribute was long overdue. She accomplished much more than KING KONG, which people seem to forget.

I am looking forward to the days for Janet Gaynor, Anne Baxter, Van Johnson and Charles Boyer. 

Totally agree about Fay Wray being the the best SUTS Day so far!  

• Like 2

Fay Wray was my favorite day; Montgomery Clift and Hedy Lamarr are 2nd and 3rd.

I'm looking forward to Jean Simmons and Boris Karloff's Days.

• Like 1

Fay Wray was my favorite day; Montgomery Clift and Hedy Lamarr are 2nd and 3rd.

I'm looking forward to Jean Simmons and Boris Karloff's Days.

Yes, the Jean Simmons day will be very good, too. For Boris, I wish they had picked some non-horror roles that show what a versatile performer he was. He did a few historical pictures in the 40s like UNCONQUERED and TAP ROOTS.

TopBilled--Have you ever seen "Unconquered" (1947) ?.  Karloff is the only Seneca chieftain who sounds like he was educated at Cambridge, LOL.  Seriously though, "Unconquered" Is  a fun watch.  It would be nice if TCM showed it.

I've never seen "Tap Roots" (1948); is it one to search out??

• Like 1

TopBilled--Have you ever seen "Unconquered" (1947) ?.  Karloff is the only Seneca chieftain who sounds like he was educated at Cambridge, LOL.  Seriously though, "Unconquered" Is  a fun watch.  It would be nice if TCM showed it.

I've never seen "Tap Roots" (1948); is it one to search out??

Admittedly, UNCONQUERED is a guilty pleasure. Boris is a hoot in it. 

Seek out TAP ROOTS-- it's very well made. All of Walter Wanger's great production values. Susan Hayward doing her best Scarlett imitation, Julie London as her kid sister, and Boris is very effective in a supporting dramatic role. It was on YouTube not long ago and might still be there. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Regretfully I haven't been too inspired yet by any of the SUTS to date.  However I am gearing up for Humphrey Bogart (just so I get to immerse myself in CASABLANCA yet again), Robert Montgomery because he is so versatile including his amazing role in LADY IN THE LAKE and Jean Simmons as you never really get to see enough of her movies on TCM.

However I did have fun watching Tim Holt in the B Westerns which I always find entertaining.  Too bad we don't get to view any Roy Rodgers movies...I did so love Trigger.  I remember watching the TV show and was continually puzzled as to why Roy rode a horse and Gabby Hayes drove a Jeep.  I believe it had a name as well..Nellybelle. 

Still waiting for my George Sanders SUTS day...I just had another birthday and the time span is shrinking.  I hope the TCM programmers read this and understand the urgency of my George Day soon.

• Like 1

Regretfully I haven't been too inspired yet by any of the SUTS to date.  However I am gearing up for Humphrey Bogart (just so I get to immerse myself in CASABLANCA yet again), Robert Montgomery because he is so versatile including his amazing role in LADY IN THE LAKE and Jean Simmons as you never really get to see enough of her movies on TCM.

However I did have fun watching Tim Holt in the B Westerns which I always find entertaining.  Too bad we don't get to view any Roy Rodgers movies...I did so love Trigger.  I remember watching the TV show and was continually puzzled as to why Roy rode a horse and Gabby Hayes drove a Jeep.  I believe it had a name as well..Nellybelle. 

Still waiting for my George Sanders SUTS day...I just had another birthday and the time span is shrinking.  I hope the TCM programmers read this and understand the urgency of my George Day soon.

That's funny, Emily. My birthday is tomorrow, but I never thought of using it to promote George Sanders. Maybe you've got something there!

All of Roy Rogers' westerns were made at Republic, and a large percentage of them have fallen into the public domain. It would be quite easy for TCM to honor him.

That's funny, Emily. My birthday is tomorrow, but I never thought of using it to promote George Sanders. Maybe you've got something there!

All of Roy Rogers' westerns were made at Republic, and a large percentage of them have fallen into the public domain. It would be quite easy for TCM to honor him.

Well Happy Birthday TB...notice we are both Leos....so that's the reason we agree on so much...Knew there was a connection.  

• Like 1

Well Happy Birthday TB...notice we are both Leos....so that's the reason we agree on so much...Knew there was a connection.  

Thanks Emily...and happy belated birthday to you.

Yes, the Jean Simmons day will be very good, too. For Boris, I wish they had picked some non-horror roles that show what a versatile performer he was. He did a few historical pictures in the 40s like UNCONQUERED and TAP ROOTS.

I recently watched The Body Snatcher, which was shown on TCM back in April, and I was really surprised and impressed with Karloff's performance in this film.  I found Karloff's portrayal of the title character to be at times charming, other times ruthless, and then again wickedly irritating towards his 'friend' Toddy.  Although this is a horror film, I would say it is more of the psychological horror type and kudos to director Robert Wise for the way Karloff is featured in a substantial role.  Would highly recommend it to those who have the time to catch some of the Karloff films on the 26th.

• Like 3

I recently watched The Body Snatcher, which was shown on TCM back in April, and I was really surprised and impressed with Karloff's performance in this film.  I found Karloff's portrayal of the title character to be at times charming, other times ruthless, and then again wickedly irritating towards his 'friend' Toddy.  Although this is a horror film, I would say it is more of the psychological horror type and kudos to director Robert Wise for the way Karloff is featured in a substantial role.  Would highly recommend it to those who have the time to catch some of the Karloff films on the 26th.

The same can be said of his performance in BEDLAM, another Val Lewton gem TCM is showing on Karloff's SUTS day. 

I'm enjoying today with Janet Gaynor. This is the first time she was selected for SUTS.

Lots of Fox rarities including two TCM premieres (Change Of Heart and Ladies In Love).

Next day I'm looking forward to is 8/24 with Constance Cummings. More rarities that day including Mae West's film debut and one of a handful of films with crooner Russ Columbo.

• Like 2

I'm enjoying today with Janet Gaynor. This is the first time she was selected for SUTS.

Lots of Fox rarities including two TCM premieres (Change Of Heart and Ladies In Love).

Next day I'm looking forward to is 8/24 with Constance Cummings. More rarities that day including Mae West's film debut and one of a handful of films with crooner Russ Columbo.

Yes, it's nice to see ladies like Gaynor and Cummings have such a fuss made over them.

I am looking at today's schedule for Roddy McDowall and I think the programmers did an excellent job with this one. They used films from different studios and from different phases of his lengthy career. 

If you like Mae West, Night After Night is definitely a must-see.  Her scenes with Alison Skipworth are a hoot!  I wish we'd have seen her in more roles like this one.

It's also a rare opportunity for TCM viewers to see Wynne Gibson, one of my favorite pre-code bad girls.

And, George Raft makes a nice debut in a starring role as well.  He's not "wooden" here, as he usually isn't in his pre-code days.  He is pretty memorable exiting a bathtub!

• Like 2

Hard to say what my favorite day has been. I can't watch everything so I've decided to focus on films I have never seen before which has made this a rewarding SUTS for me. So far I've seen

Lucille Ball: The Dark Corner

Edward G. Robinson- Red House & Our Vines have Tender Grapes

Fay Wray: The Wedding March

Montgomery Clift: The Search

Jean Harlow: Bombshell

Janet Gaynor: Lucky Star

I would say my personal favorites out of these would be Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, Dark Corner, The Search, and Lucky Star. All have been great discoveries (and honestly I can't believe the Search isn't more well known) and I am looking forward to more new film discoveries this month.

• Like 3

If you like Mae West, Night After Night is definitely a must-see.  Her scenes with Alison Skipworth are a hoot!  I wish we'd have seen her in more roles like this one.

It's also a rare opportunity for TCM viewers to see Wynne Gibson, one of my favorite pre-code bad girls.

Love-love-love Alison Skipworth. Check her out in MADAME RACKETEER, where she plays a con woman who tries to keep her daughter out of the clutches of a very young and very dangerous George Raft.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Wynne Gibson. Recently, another poster and I had a series of discussions about actresses from the 30s we both enjoy-- gals like Sylvia Sidney, Helen Twelvetrees, Constance Bennett and Kay Francis.

Maybe I need to read up on Wynne Gibson to get more familiar with her films.

• Like 1

Love-love-love Alison Skipworth. Check her out in MADAME RACKETEER, where she plays a con woman who tries to keep her daughter out of the clutches of a very young and very dangerous George Raft.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Wynne Gibson. Recently, another poster and I had a series of discussions about actresses from the 30s we both enjoy-- gals like Sylvia Sidney, Helen Twelvetrees, Constance Bennett and Kay Francis.

Maybe I need to read up on Wynne Gibson to get more familiar with her films.

Probably the first film where Wynne Gibson made a big impression on me was If I Had a Million (1932), where she's a prostitute.   Also, she pairs up nicely with Edmund Lowe in The Devil is Driving (1932), which I saw at Cinevent a few years ago.

Some others you may already have seen:

Ladies of the Big House (1931)  of course, she's an inmate!

City Streets (1931)  supporting Sylvia Sidney again (love her as well)

The Captain Hates the Sea (1934) sadly, John Gilbert's last film (also with Alison Skipworth!  Thanks for the tip on Madame Racketeer)

BTW, I also love the other ladies you mention. 

• Like 1

Probably the first film where Wynne Gibson made a big impression on me was If I Had a Million (1932), where she's a prostitute.   Also, she pairs up nicely with Edmund Lowe in The Devil is Driving (1932), which I saw at Cinevent a few years ago.

Some others you may already have seen:

Ladies of the Big House (1931)  of course, she's an inmate!

City Streets (1931)  supporting Sylvia Sidney again (love her as well)

The Captain Hates the Sea (1934) sadly, John Gilbert's last film (also with Alison Skipworth!  Thanks for the tip on Madame Racketeer)

BTW, I also love the other ladies you mention. 

Thanks Belle. I've seen CITY STREETS and THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA (not a great swan song for Gilbert). I am assuming LADIES OF THE BIG HOUSE was made on the heels of MGM's success with THE BIG HOUSE (featuring male convicts).

In the Republic Pictures Checklist by Len Martin, Wynne Gibson is listed as having appeared in a few Republic films. These include:

MICHAEL O'HALLORAN (1937)...she's billed first

GANGS OF NEW YORK (1938)...she's fourth-billed

FORGOTTEN GIRLS (1940)...she's third-billed

MYSTERY BROADCAST (1943)...she's fourth-billed

Thanks Belle. I've seen CITY STREETS and THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA (not a great swan song for Gilbert). I am assuming LADIES OF THE BIG HOUSE was made on the heels of MGM's success with THE BIG HOUSE (featuring male convicts).

In the Republic Pictures Checklist by Len Martin, Wynne Gibson is listed as having appeared in a few Republic films. These include:

MICHAEL O'HALLORAN (1937)...she's billed first

GANGS OF NEW YORK (1938)...she's fourth-billed

FORGOTTEN GIRLS (1940)...she's third-billed

MYSTERY BROADCAST (1943)...she's fourth-billed

Thanks for those, TB.  BTW, I enjoy your thread about Republic, as you can imagine. 

Back to the topic at hand.  I'm looking forward to Friday's tribute to Ruby Keeler, even though I've seen most of the selections already.  I might be one of the few here who actually enjoys her dancing and pairings with Dick Powell. 

Of the ones I haven't seen, I'm most interested in:

Mother Carey's Chickens, since it's not a musical

Go Into Your Dance paired with her husband, Al Jolson. 

• Like 1

Thanks for those, TB.  BTW, I enjoy your thread about Republic, as you can imagine. 

Back to the topic at hand.  I'm looking forward to Friday's tribute to Ruby Keeler, even though I've seen most of the selections already.  I might be one of the few here who actually enjoys her dancing and pairings with Dick Powell. 

Of the ones I haven't seen, I'm most interested in:

Mother Carey's Chickens, since it's not a musical

Go Into Your Dance paired with her husband, Al Jolson. 

Glad you enjoy the thread about Republic. 

I'm a Ruby Keeler fan and I posted a column about her in the Today's Topic thread. MOTHER CAREY'S CHICKENS is a non-musical role for her (it was the basis for Disney's SUMMER MAGIC in the 60s). So it's kind of interesting to see her do a romantic comedy without the dancing. 

GO INTO YOUR DANCE, the one with Jolson, is going to be a new one for me. I don't remember TCM airing it since I began watching the channel in 2008. 

• Like 1