Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Half-way through this year's SUTS-- favorite days so far...?

Glad you enjoy the thread about Republic. 

I'm a Ruby Keeler fan and I posted a column about her in the Today's Topic thread. MOTHER CAREY'S CHICKENS is a non-musical role for her (it was the basis for Disney's SUMMER MAGIC in the 60s). So it's kind of interesting to see her do a romantic comedy without the dancing. 

GO INTO YOUR DANCE, the one with Jolson, is going to be a new one for me. I don't remember TCM airing it since I began watching the channel in 2008. 

I'm another Ruby Keeler fan.  I'm looking forward to "Sweetheart Of The Campus" as this was her last film before she retired, married and raised her family. It was also after her divorce from Jolson.

I've seen "Mother Carey's Chickens" before and although I enjoyed it the film doesn't give much air time to Ruby Keeler's character.

If I'm not mistaken I believe this was the film Katherine Hepburn refused to be in and asked RKO to cancel her contact.

"Go Into Your Dance" is a film that TCM hasn't aired in several years. I'll be ready for it this time with my DVD recorder. I've been wishing that TCM would put it on the schedule.

• Like 2

I'm another Ruby Keeler fan.  I'm looking forward to "Sweetheart Of The Campus" as this was her last film before she retired, married and raised her family. It was also after her divorce from Jolson.

I've seen "Mother Carey's Chickens" before and although I enjoyed it the film doesn't give much air time to Ruby Keeler's character.

If I'm not mistaken I believe this was the film Katherine Hepburn refused to be in and asked RKO to cancel her contact.

"Go Into Your Dance" is a film that TCM hasn't aired in several years. I'll be ready for it this time with my DVD recorder. I've been wishing that TCM would put it on the schedule.

I appreciate the info about GO INTO YOUR DANCE, midnight. The first year I watched TCM, back in 2008/2009 I was kind of clueless about how often films were rescheduled. So I might have missed it and thought it would air again soon, but it never did. 

Probably what happened with the MOTHER CAREY movie, after Kate jumped ship, is they turned it into a vehicle for contract player Anne Shirley...which meant Ruby's role decreased in value to the overall story.

Glad you enjoy the thread about Republic. 

I'm a Ruby Keeler fan and I posted a column about her in the Today's Topic thread. MOTHER CAREY'S CHICKENS is a non-musical role for her (it was the basis for Disney's SUMMER MAGIC in the 60s). So it's kind of interesting to see her do a romantic comedy without the dancing. 

GO INTO YOUR DANCE, the one with Jolson, is going to be a new one for me. I don't remember TCM airing it since I began watching the channel in 2008.

Thanks for directing me to your Today's Topic thread.  Well done, with nice photos and lots of info I was unaware of (Ruby and others).

• Like 1

Thanks for directing me to your Today's Topic thread.  Well done, with nice photos and lots of info I was unaware of (Ruby and others).

Thank you. Hope everyone's enjoying the Ruby Keeler flicks on TCM today!

I'm so excited, readying my lunch, organizing the doggies and ready to sit down and enter into "Casablanca".  Any day with "Casablanca" is my day at the movies.  

I am just hoping that my afterlife is in Rick's and I can sit down with all the characters, watch Paul Heinreid lead the orchestra, and drink all the champagne cocktails my heart desires, smoke as many cigarettes as I want and Winston Churchill will be at the next table (he drank a lot of champagne too). 

• Like 1

My favorite day is this coming Monday - Robert Montgomery day. Looks like it is the run of the mill MGM fare they are showing, but be sure to catch "The Man in Possession". I don't think it has aired in at least eight years, maybe longer. "Personal Property" was a remake of it, but they just couldn't make it sizzle like the original, even with Jean Harlow, with that pesky production code in force.

• Like 3

My favorite day is this coming Monday - Robert Montgomery day. Looks like it is the run of the mill MGM fare they are showing, but be sure to catch "The Man in Possession". I don't think it has aired in at least eight years, maybe longer. "Personal Property" was a remake of it, but they just couldn't make it sizzle like the original, even with Jean Harlow, with that pesky production code in force.

I like Robert Montgomery as well.  I think he is very underrated among TCM fans and two of my own RM favourites are "They Were Expendable" and "Lady in the Lake".  I look forward to his day as well...he doesn't get as much recognition on TCM as he should.

• Like 1

Next monday is my favorite day,Robert Montgomery all day! I will watch 2 of the few i have not seen,Man in possession is one of them,maybe the last time it aired was in early 2006 as Star of the Month TCM showed  ALL his movies, do not miss Mystery of Mr X a great who done it,yes Robert Montgomery his hughly underrated,i praised him  several times 10 years ago as i was discovering his work while watching movies featuring other actresses.He was a smart,smooth leading man,the most versatile of the 30's for sure,He should get another shot as Star of the Month.If he did not quit for politics he would have been a pretty good director as he was doing some directorial work at the end of his movie career.

• Like 1

Favorite SUTS days so far:

Fay Wray

Janet Gaynor

Bing Crosby

(And upcoming):

Ruby Keeler

Constance Cummings

Yeah, I think the Constance Cummings day is a great part of this month's schedule. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-21%2Bat%2B1.24.1

Beautiful and talented.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think the Constance Cummings day is a great part of this month's schedule. 

Beautiful and talented.

I admit I don't know who she is.   I reviewed a list of the films she was in and didn't spot any I have seen.   

TCM will be showing a fair number of pre-codes.      I'll have to made sure I catch some of these films on the 24th.

• Like 1

I admit I don't know who she is.   I reviewed a list of the films she was in and didn't spot any I have seen.   

TCM will be showing a fair number of pre-codes.      I'll have to made sure I catch some of these films on the 24th.

The first time I saw Constance Cummings on screen, it was on TCM in 2008, in a showing of MOVIE CRAZY with Harold Lloyd. She's very appealing as his love interest. Then maybe a year later I rented a copy of the 1945 version of BLITHE SPIRIT from Netflix. It was made after she relocated to England (where spent the rest of her life), and she has a role as one of Rex Harrison's wives. Again, I was impressed with her. So ever since then, I am usually on the look-out for her movies to turn up on TCM. I'm very glad she's being honored and that someone in the programming department feels the way I do about her.

You'll have to tell us if she makes an impression on you, too.

I really enjoyed Janet Gaynor Day.  Originally, I just loved having some films to record that I had not seen before, but I really came to appreciate her talent.  "Young At Heart" was a particular favorite  --  what a sweet, funny movie with a grand cast including JG.

So looking forward to the Days of:  Robert Montgomery (not much I haven't already seen but I really love him,) Constance Cummings and Boris Karloff.

All in all, I wish (as I always wish) more character actors had been saluted but not a bad SUTS lineup.

Lydecker

• Like 4

I really enjoyed Janet Gaynor Day.  Originally, I just loved having some films to record that I had not seen before, but I really came to appreciate her talent.  "Young At Heart" was a particular favorite  --  what a sweet, funny movie with a grand cast including JG.

So looking forward to the Days of:  Robert Montgomery (not much I haven't already seen but I really love him,) Constance Cummings and Boris Karloff.

All in all, I wish (as I always wish) more character actors had been saluted but not a bad SUTS lineup.

Lydecker

I'm with "lydecker". I really enjoyed Janet Gaynor day. I wish my Mom would have been around as she loved Janet Gaynor.

My Mom is the one who familiarized me with her. For years the only film I saw of hers was "A Star Is Born". When TCM came around they would show her two MGM films but it wasn't until a few years back that I got to see some of her Fox films. I'm happy that

TCM was able to air many of her Fox silent and sound films. I'd still like to see more of her Fox films.

I'm also looking forward to tomorrow with Robert Montgomery. I especially want to see "The Man In Possession" and "Hide-Out".

I'm definitely going to stay homebound on Wednesday for Constance Cummings. Lots of rarities on that day.

• Like 3

This morning TCM aired the original WHEN LADIES MEET. Ann Harding and Myrna Loy are both very good in it, and I prefer their scenes over the ones in the remake with Greer Garson and Joan Crawford. But Robert Montgomery is the one to watch. I thought he really understood the character perfectly and injected it with just the right amount of playfulness and earnestness. 

I'm with "lydecker". I really enjoyed Janet Gaynor day. I wish my Mom would have been around as she loved Janet Gaynor.

My Mom is the one who familiarized me with her. For years the only film I saw of hers was "A Star Is Born". When TCM came around they would show her two MGM films but it wasn't until a few years back that I got to see some of her Fox films. I'm happy that

TCM was able to air many of her Fox silent and sound films. I'd still like to see more of her Fox films.

I'm also looking forward to tomorrow with Robert Montgomery. I especially want to see "The Man In Possession" and "Hide-Out".

I'm definitely going to stay homebound on Wednesday for Constance Cummings. Lots of rarities on that day.

Yes, I enjoyed Janet Gaynor day too, though I'd seen most of the films before. It's rare to see any of her films on any given TCM day, so this was a real treat!

I'm recording Night Must Fall tonight (though I've seen it many times). Such a great performance (by everyone, really)...

• Like 1

This morning TCM aired the original WHEN LADIES MEET. Ann Harding and Myrna Loy are both very good in it, and I prefer their scenes over the ones in the remake with Greer Garson and Joan Crawford. But Robert Montgomery is the one to watch. I thought he really understood the character perfectly and injected it with just the right amount of playfulness and earnestness. 

Yep, I love this movie and find it far superior to the Garson/Crawford remake.  A shout out to Alice Brady, too, who takes a ditzy character just far enough.  Myrna, Myrna.  How could you ever prefer serial philanderer Frank Morgan to the utterly charming Robert Montgomery?

• Like 1

Yep, I love this movie and find it far superior to the Garson/Crawford remake.  A shout out to Alice Brady, too, who takes a ditzy character just far enough.  Myrna, Myrna.  How could you ever prefer serial philanderer Frank Morgan to the utterly charming Robert Montgomery?

As for Myrna, Myna;  She just did what was in the script.     So what I see you saying here is that the Frank Morgan was miscast.  

As for Myrna, Myna;  She just did what was in the script.     So what I see you saying here is that the Frank Morgan was miscast.  

No, not miscast. I think he was perfectly cast, just the wrong guy for Myrna which we clearly found out before "The End"came up. However . . . to think that two incredibly great ladies (Myrna and Ann Harding) were crazy for the guy . . . I want to say:  'But, he's "just" Frank Morgan."

No, not miscast. I think he was perfectly cast, just the wrong guy for Myrna which we clearly found out before "The End"came up. However . . . to think that two incredibly great ladies (Myrna and Ann Harding) were crazy for the guy . . . I want to say:  'But, he's "just" Frank Morgan."

One thing occurred to me as I watched Frank Morgan in this role-- namely, his screen persona was much different in the early 30s compared to what it became in the late 30s and 40s. He plays a similar character in HALLELUJAH I'M A BUM, made the same year as WHEN LADIES MEET. He hadn't yet turned into the warm and fuzzy character actor we mostly remember.

Have you seen the Garson \ Crawford version?   The reason I ask is that Herbert Marshall plays the role of the cheating husband.   When you see that version do you want to say 'But, he's "just" Herbert Marshall"? 

To me Marshall is more charming as well as handsome and therefore it is more believable that two fine looking as well as classy ladies would fall in love with him.    One may have to discount the love of his wife since we don't know how long they have been married (e.g. when she fell in love with him he might have been a much different type of person on many levels).    But that doesn't apply to an affair, especially with a younger women.

So to me it is much more believable that Crawford would fall for Marshall than Loy for Morgan.   Which implies MGM could have found a more suitable actor, of similar age, for the part;  e.g. William Powell.

Totally agree.  Marshall is a much more suitable lover than Morgan was in the earlier version.  

To me Marshall is more charming as well as handsome and therefore it is more believable that two fine looking as well as classy ladies would fall in love with him.    One may have to discount the love of his wife since we don't know how long they have been married (e.g. when she fell in love with him he might have been a much different type of person on many levels).    But that doesn't apply to an affair, especially with a younger women.

So to me it is much more believable that Crawford would fall for Marshall than Loy for Morgan.   Which implies MGM could have found a more suitable actor, of similar age, for the part;  e.g. William Powell.

Frank Morgan does an acceptable job as the philandering publisher. But it probably would have been better if Herbert Marshall had been cast as the character in the first version (though he was written a little differently, as a more lecherous type).

Incidentally, Ann Harding and Herbert Marshall made two films together, one of them was MGM's THE FLAME WITHIN. So the studio very easily could have assigned Morgan's part to Marshall, because he and Harding worked well together. Marshall could have done both versions of WHEN LADIES MEET like he did both versions of THE LETTER.

• Like 1

I only watched one film on Janet Gaynor day: Lucky Star but I kept thinking of that film so I ended up

* Finding Seventh Heaven on YouTube (maybe not the best quality but I was desperate to see it)

* Imported Part 2 of the Borzage collection from the UK (This has Lucky Star which is my favorite but I plan to import the one with Street Angel & Seventh Heaven in the future)

* Starting reading the bio on Gaynor & Farrell called Lucky Stars.

* Have Moonrise a later Borzage film to watch on Amazon Prime.

I guess Lucky Star just really inspired me.

• Like 4

Frank Morgan does an acceptable job as the philandering publisher. But it probably would have been better if Herbert Marshall had been cast as the character in the first version (though he was written a little differently, as a more lecherous type).

Incidentally, Ann Harding and Herbert Marshall made two films together, one of them was MGM's THE FLAME WITHIN. So the studio very easily could have assigned Morgan's part to Marshall, because he and Harding worked well together. Marshall could have done both versions of WHEN LADIES MEET like he did both versions of THE LETTER.

I agree that Frank Morgan does an acceptable job so it isn't like he is totally miscast like Davis in Mr. Skeffington (ha ha).    But I still say someone like Marshall or Powell would have been a better fit for the role,  especially when one looks at the male rival (Montgomery).  

• Like 1

Strangely enough -- Ann Baxter day was one of my favorites.  I think she was an underrated actress who brought an honesty to her performance.  I also love her voice, sweet and husky.  I enjoyed catching a few films I had never seen -- Swamp Water and The North Star.

Janet Gaynor day was interesting.  I enjoyed the late silent films she made with Charles Farrell.  Cinematography was at its peak in some of those films -- they were quite beautiful and moving.  Once sound came in, some of those early talkies are unwatchable, as if the camera forgot how to move...

James Edwards day was also excellent.  Home of the Brave was so powerful and moving, as much about the bonding among the men in the unit and the effects of combat, as about racism.  The Set-Up was brilliant -- hard-hitting -- no pun intended, what a gem.  I tried to stay up through Bright Victory, but it was too late, even on a vacation night.  That evening made me think about some of the risk-taking and ground-breaking films that were coming out of the late 40s and early 50s.

• Like 3