Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film Noir About Good and Evil Twin Sisters???

SteveRichey

Good People,

Please help me recall a movie.  As best I can remember it was a 1940s-period Film Noir.  The two lead characters were adult twin sisters.  One was a sweet nice girl and the other was a cigarette-smoking dangerous femme fatale.  The emotional climax took place indoors when the evil twin sister gave the good twin sister a chilling lecture about how, even though they had been born seconds apart, life had given them diametrically opposing roles to play.  In this scene, they were both wearing stylish white blouses and dark skirts.

Can anyone help me identify this movie?

Thanks!

Steve

Didn't VERTIGO have triplets? 3 women who looked alike??

The real Madeleine, the fake Madeleine (seen together when Elster pushed his wife off the tower), and then one Judy, who wound up playing both Madeleines. Doh.... or did she play just one of the Madeleines??

Who played the real Madeleine when Judy was playing Madeleine, when they were in the same scene together, when Elster threw his wife off the bell tower??

AND there were 3 of the same lady's grey suits..... one for the real Madeleine, one for the fake Madeleine, and one for Judy.

Seems that the sales ladies at the store that sold those three grey suits would have noticed three different but identically looking women buying them, with 2 of the women going out the bell tower while wearing them. Something like this just doesn't happen every day.

vertigo4.jpg

HA!

The REAL MADELEINE was played by JEAN CORBETT, according to IMDB.

Jean Corbett Vertigo

Mrs. Elster (uncredited)

VertigoMoord.jpg

Friends,

You've given me a lot to explore and thank you!

Acknowledging what the passage of time does to memory, I recall that the twin sisters were *not* indentical.  They were played by two different actresses.  Also, they wore their hair in the longish, shoulder-length style of the 1940s, like Katharine Hepburn, Lauren Bacall, and Rita Hayworth, et al.

Cheers,

Steve

Friends,

You've given me a lot to explore and thank you!

Acknowledging what the passage of time does to memory, I recall that the twin sisters were *not* indentical.  They were played by two different actresses.  Also, they wore their hair in the longish, shoulder-length style of the 1940s, like Katharine Hepburn, Lauren Bacall, and Rita Hayworth, et al.

Cheers,

Steve

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?  

OK, folks,   wild guess but now that we are told the twins are not really twins and they are played but two different actresses that is all I can come up with.

Uh, yes, they most assuredly were twins, but they were non-identical, so-called "fraternal" twin sisters.  They were born seconds apart from the same womb but were different in appearance--which is why two different actresses were plausibly able to play them.

Good People,

Please help me recall a movie.  As best I can remember it was a 1940s-period Film Noir.  The two lead characters were adult twin sisters.  One was a sweet nice girl and the other was a cigarette-smoking dangerous femme fatale.  The emotional climax took place indoors when the evil twin sister gave the good twin sister a chilling lecture about how, even though they had been born seconds apart, life had given them diametrically opposing roles to play.  In this scene, they were both wearing stylish white blouses and dark skirts.

Can anyone help me identify this movie?

Thanks!

Steve

If this were a well known noir we probably would have guessed it by now. Sounds like it might be a B detective mystery movie. Do you remember if there was a detective involved, a crime involved??

Hello lavenderblue19,

It has been decades since I saw this movie on TV (judging by the clothing and hairstyles of the lead female characters, it was originally a 1940s period theater release I saw on TV in the 1960s) so my memory fails beyond what I have already reported here.  I simply can't remember if there was a specific crime or a detective figure involved.  What sticks in my mind is the tortuous, suspensful relationship between the two non-identical twin sisters who were both shown as young, healthy, fit, and highly attractive.

Thanks though!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings