Want a new mom? Call Beulah Bondi!

beulah-bondi-goes-to-washington.jpg

Best maid in town, apparently, was the great Hattie McDaniel

MTE5NDg0MDU0NjI3NzE0NTc1.jpg

If you need a date, you can always ask out Grady Sutton--he never gets the girl

tumblr_n3ktof7ETS1s5o8nro1_1280.jpg

And everyone automatically hates Douglas Dumbrille

douglassdumbrille.jpg?w=554&h=707

Basil Rathbone, Conrad Veidt, and George Sanders usually play some type of villain, so don't leave them alone with your children, just in case! (Basil's okay if wearing a deerstalker hat)

tumblr_inline_n4jaij9TaX1rpbt6f.jpg

AddisonDewitt.jpg

veidt+as+strasser.jpeg

• Like 2

Wanna good loyal wife? Then marry Ann Doran.

9cbd9912c550b04dee40161216854135.jpg

(...though if you happen to have a somewhat rebellious teen-aged son by her, who wears a red jacket, drives a '49 Mercury and likes to visit Griffith Observatory, Ann CAN BE rather bossy now and then) ;)

Well, while you're married to Ann Doran, you can envy those guys married to the loyal and coveted...

MYRNA LOY! ;)  :lol:

Yeah, typecasting is the bane in many a Hollywood career.  Monroe was always the ditzy blonde...Edward Arnold was always the rich power hungry jerk.   Cagney was always the wise-cracking tough guy....no matter WHAT his occupation...

I remember back in I think...Back in '72( cue the BOB SEGER music!) Anyway,  Max Baer Jr. was trying to shake his JETHRO BODINE image( and typecast) by playing it straight as a small town modern sherriff in something called MACON COUNTY LINE.  Maybe it was '73 or 4.  Everybody went to the show expecting( or hoping) to see "JETHRO, the double naught sherriff".  Nobody bought it, and likely he was offered many a "blockhead" role before, or after this fiasco

Sepiatone

Well, while you're married to Ann Doran, you can envy those guys married to the loyal and coveted...

Yeah, typecasting is the bane in many a Hollywood career.  Monroe was always the ditzy blonde...Edward Arnold was always the rich power hungry jerk.   Cagney was always the wise-cracking tough guy....no matter WHAT his occupation...

I remember back in I think...Back in '72( cue the BOB SEGER music!) Anyway,  Max Baer Jr. was trying to shake his JETHRO BODINE image( and typecast) by playing it straight as a small town modern sherriff in something called MACON COUNTY LINE.  Maybe it was '73 or 4.  Everybody went to the show expecting( or hoping) to see "JETHRO, the double naught sherriff".  Nobody bought it, and likely he was offered many a "blockhead" role before, or after this fiasco

Sepiatone

Well type casting is a double edged sword as it relates to an actor's career.    Actors that are good at a certain type of role will get a lot of parts if that role is a fairly common one in movies.    Also some actors feel they are versatile when they are not.

I don't fault studio producers for type casting actors as much as the general viewing public.   The example you gave here is a good one.     When leading actors are cast in unique roles and the film bombs,  one can't expect producers to cast that actor in another unique type role.  So instead in their next film the actor is cast in his same old type cast role.

Sepiatone

While you made a very good point about the desirability factor of Loy over Doran(though I always thought Doran a very nice looking woman in her own right), I have to question your use of the word "fiasco" in your description of the movie "Macon Country Line", Sepia.

You see, while it may not have helped catapult screenwriter and co-star Baer's career into greatness, according to the IMDb website it not only received generally positive reviews, but it also mentions the following:

"The $225,000 film reportedly became the single most profitable film of 1974 (in cost-to-gross ratio) earning $18.8 million in North America and over $30 million worldwide."

A fiasco is a movie that does what? Earns a profitable return?

I'm confused by the use of the word "fiasco" if the word was used to indicate the quality of a movie.

It is my understanding that typically the word fiasco is used related to the financials of a movie or to what was going on when the movie was being made (e.g.  the production was a fiasco because the actress got sick,  and the director and leading male star hated each other etc...). 

Oh, so....NOW,  We'll accept box office sales with quality.....

....I guess if it serves a purpose?

Sepiatone

Well, all I can tell ya regarding the "quality" of "Macon County Line" here Sepia is that the IMDb webpage for this film shows a reasonably good "6.9 star" rating and some guy named Wayne Malin(yeah, okay, whoever the heck HE is) gave it a pretty good review on that webpage, also.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071788/

I have to admit I've never seen it, but the reason I questioned your use of the word "fiasco" to describe it was that I recalled hearing or reading some reasonably positive things about it back when it was first released and also recalled hearing or reading that it made Baer a good ch unk o' change to boot.

Well, all I can tell ya regarding the "quality" of "Macon County Line" here Sepia is that the IMDb webpage for this film shows a reasonably good "6.9 star" rating and some guy named Wayne Malin(yeah, okay, whoever the heck HE is) gave it a pretty good review on that webpage, also.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071788/

I have to admit I've never seen it, but the reason I questioned your use of the word "fiasco" to describe it was that I recalled hearing or reading some reasonably positive things about it back when it was first released and also recalled hearing or reading that it made Baer a good ch unk o' change to boot.

Spawned a sequel as well (Return to Macon County starring Don Johnson).

Both movies were considered to be drive-in fodder - but especially the 2nd one. I do miss those 70's drive-in "classics". Kind of a genre unto themselves, with many now being lost/hidden entertainment gems.

Poor Elisha Cook. He was a great fall guy.

400px-TMFElisha_Cook_Jr.jpg

If you need a pompous, bumbling moron to be in charge, elect Paul Ford! "You got the sword, Luther!"
paul-ford-5-sized.jpg

And Ned Sparks makes a good smart-talking rough diamond

275px-SparksCredGoldDigs1933Trailer.jpg

Yes, many actors get type cast. And many actors lament being type cast most/all of the time. But to quote Joe Estevez, "The key word here is 'cast'." I know plenty of out-of-work actors (is there any other kind? ZING!) who would LOVE to be type cast. :) But it does show you how lucky other actors were to get out of being type cast. In the case of Jack Lemmon, DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES came about at the perfect time. As did MARTY for Ernest Borgnine. Lucky dogs! (No offense, Ernie.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings