Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

South Pacific

robb1367

Do my ears (and to some extent) my eyes deceive me? Why in heck is TCM showing Mitzi and Rossano giving their all at, what appears to be, and definitely sounds like, double speed? I'll try and forget the color bleeding, that, too, is inexcusable. Trouble is, I've seen the film far to often for my own good, love it (with some reservations) and think the delicious Mitzi quite, quite incredible - the perfect Nellie Forbush! But, please, why the hurry???

Dude, you're scarin' the chirren!

TCM doesn't do sh*t to the prints they receive, and if you've read anything about the production of South Pacific, or paid attention to Robert Osborne's post-discussion, you'd know the colors were (a regretted) part of the production.

Uh oh. Monday nights posting was regrettably unclear. The bleeding referred to occurred during the color filters, Some Enchanted Evening and Bali Ha'i being the worst offenders. And said filters were way too strong for their own good. Easily fixed with that little thingamajig there.

Um, you're still unclear. First of all, "said filters were way too strong for their own good"? Here's the director's story:

Logan shot the whole film with tinted musical sequences, then realized during previews that they didn't work....In his memoirs, he would write that he wanted to picket each showing of the film with a sign reading, "I DIRECTED IT, AND I DON'T LIKE THE COLOR EITHER!"

And what little thingamajig where? What are you talking about? Do you know anything about the complications of color adjustment? Even in our digital age, it's a meticulous, expensive process.

Those color filters were part of the shooting process of the film. TCM is not in the the business of producing posthumous directors' cuts. They leave things as is, whatever the state.

Plus, TCM/Turner/AOL/TimeWarner doesn't own the bloody film anyway, so any color-stripped version would be a derivative work produced without the permission of the copyright holder.