Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film about the love lives of 4(?) women (Solved)

Kay

I saw some of this film within the past couple years on TCM, but I only remember a few details about the ending, and only remember two of what I believe were four stories altogether. I remember that it was not episodic (as in, one story ends before another begins), and the women may even have known each other, but I'm not certain of that. It was in color, and most likely from the 50s. It was kind of Douglas Sirk-y.

One story involved an young, dark-haired woman who was something of a sexual addict. She flirted and slept with every man she met and, and she couldn't help herself. It caused her a lot of suffering, and she sought help...

Another story focused on a housewife who had taken a young and handsome lover, and she was planning to run off on her marriage with him. Her husband was successful and they were well-off.

I don't like to give away endings when it might be a spoiler for anyone reading, but the ending is all I remember...

The latter woman was planning to run off during a party, and she wrote a letter to her husband which she left for him before leaving. When she met her lover (on a boat?) he was not willing to go through with it. The details of this scene escape me. She was forced to return to her home, but her husband had already found the letter. She pleaded with him, or perhaps she said nothing, and amazingly he forgave her and agreed to start over. The ending of her story was a bittersweet one.

The other, younger, dark-haired woman had a more tragic ending. After her addiction had ruined her life she decided to kill herself. She may have been suffering from more than one addiction, but I don't remember.

I'm afraid that's about all I can recall. I hope it's enough. I don't remember who was in it, as this probably wouldn't be necessary if I had.

Thanks!

I'm wondering if the movie you have in mind is "The Chapman Report."  This movie did involve four actresses, and it moved back and forth between the four stories.  By the way, if this is the movie, the four actresses were Claire Bloom, Jane Fonda, Shelley Winters, and Glynis Johns.

Terrence.

Thanks for your help, Terrence. This might be the film I'm thinking of. After looking over the plot, the two stories I recalled sounded right, but the other two didn't ring a bell yet. I don't remember the sexy stuff much, but it sounds right and looks right.

Looks like I was also off the mark with some of my recollections, but that's not a surprise, I had forgotten all about this film until just the other day. It makes more sense that it is a 60s film, not so Douglas Sirk-y as I thought. I bet this is the one, now that I'm reading reviews. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings