Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Beef With Spielberg And Lucas

Palmerin

All the way back to 1981 I have been angry with SS and GL because the Indiana Jones adventures are full of inaccuracies; for ex., in TEMPLE OF DOOM there is mention of a sultan of Madagascar--Madagascar is not Muslim, so it has never had any sultans--, and in KINGDOM OF THE SKULL Jones talks about teaching at the University of Leipzig, which at that time was part of communist Germany and therefore not likely to employ an American professor.

Earlier this year a fellow poster at IMDb.com explained to me that the world of Indiana Jones is a parallel universe where the reality of the 20th century simply does not apply.

WHAT KIND OF DEMENTED JIVE IS THAT???!!! How is one supposed to be interested in the adventures of Indiana Jones if they have no relation to reality??? Movies like THE GREAT ESCAPE and THE LONGEST DAY are interesting because they tell stories based on the reality of a real event; would you watch them if they were so fanciful and inaccurate that they would present a totally distorted image of WWII?

They were movies created for the purpose of entertainment!  Not even sold as "historical"  This is what Hollywood and other movie and TV makers are famous for.

I agree with you Cid 100%.    These were pure fantasy movies that only used historical events as background.   

The movies sold very, very well so it is clear the directors did what they set out to do;  make movies that millions of people would pay to see.

Indiana Jones lives in a fantasy world called Classic Hollywood Land

I dunno 'bout that. Ya see, I have it from a very reliable source that the Ark of the Covenant WAS actually found a while back and when it was opened, everybody who didn't keep their eyes shut wound up as a little pile of dust.

(...though then again, this "very reliable source" I mentioned ALSO told me he believes in all that there "Chemtrail" stuff in the sky TOO, so maybe he ain't so reliable after all!) 

Indiana Jones lives in a fantasy world called Classic Hollywood Land

I do have a beef with movies that mess with historical facts as it relates to actual historical events when the basis of said movie is to represent historical events.    e.g. A story about a historical figure and two historical figures that actually never meet and are shown together in the film.    How much of a beef relates to how much those facts are messed with.

But the Indiana Jones pictures are NOT films based on historical events.  They are pure fantasy.    So to have a beef about that type of pure fantasy picture makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

You are going to have higher blood pressure than mine if you expect movies to be based on real history these days. Most people can't remember who the Vice-president is so the movies can get away with anything.

BTW who is the Vice-President, I forgot? LOL.

They were movies created for the purpose of entertainment!  Not even sold as "historical"  This is what Hollywood and other movie and TV makers are famous for.

So the people of Madagascar should overlook that there have never been any sultans of Madagascar, and the people of Leipzig should forget that, at the time of KINGDOM, Leipzig was communist territory?

Even fantasy stories need a touch of reality to be watchable; LORD OF THE RINGS makes abundant use of horses, a very real animal known even to people who are not cowboys or jockeys.

...Movies like THE GREAT ESCAPE and THE LONGEST DAY are interesting because they tell stories based on the reality of a real event; would you watch them if they were so fanciful and inaccurate that they would present a totally distorted image of WWII?

Btw Palmerin, while I really like both of these films, I might remind you that the former here and which you're using as a "yardstick" (as the latter is actually done in a docu-drama manner and thus would and should be more "accurate") isn't exactly "true" to the historical facts, either.

The real "great escape" of the Allied soldiers from that German stalag that was dramatized in that film actually contained NO American soldiers at all, and so "artistic license" was taken in regard to this story when John Sturges committed it to film.

(...and I also bet none of the real escapees ever commandeered a British-made TRIUMPH motorcycle from an German soldier while making his escape, either...let ALONE attempted to jump a barbwire fence while astride it) ;)

All the way back to 1981 I have been angry with SS and GL because the Indiana Jones adventures are full of inaccuracies; for ex., in TEMPLE OF DOOM there is mention of a sultan of Madagascar--Madagascar is not Muslim, so it has never had any sultans--, and in KINGDOM OF THE SKULL Jones talks about teaching at the University of Leipzig, which at that time was part of communist Germany and therefore not likely to employ an American professor.

Earlier this year a fellow poster at IMDb.com explained to me that the world of Indiana Jones is a parallel universe where the reality of the 20th century simply does not apply.

WHAT KIND OF DEMENTED JIVE IS THAT???!!! How is one supposed to be interested in the adventures of Indiana Jones if they have no relation to reality??? Movies like THE GREAT ESCAPE and THE LONGEST DAY are interesting because they tell stories based on the reality of a real event; would you watch them if they were so fanciful and inaccurate that they would present a totally distorted image of WWII?

I try not to over analyze a movie but some things do make me want to turn the TV off.  The Kingdom of The Skulls had a very bad ending.  I bet the skull Indiana Jones held had Made in China stamped on the bottom.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/the-truth-behind/galleries/the-truth-behind-the-crystal-skulls-pictures/at/barry-lui-crystal-skull-42166/

The film also tie in the elongated head skull after many experts plainly stated it's the old custom of skull shaping.

indiana_jones_crystal_skull.jpg

19t9n9.jpg

article-2250145-16928199000005DC-796_634

So the people of Madagascar should overlook that there have never been any sultans of Madagascar, and the people of Leipzig should forget that, at the time of KINGDOM, Leipzig was communist territory?

Even fantasy stories need a touch of reality to be watchable; LORD OF THE RINGS makes abundant use of horses, a very real animal known even to people who are not cowboys or jockeys.

To me it is silly for a screenwriter to be concerned about insulting the people of Madagascar or Leipzip.   

Most movie ticket buyers of fantasy movies do NOT feel a touch of reality is necessary for movie to be watchable.   Again,  the proof of this is that the fantasy movies you mentioned were box office winners.

Earlier this year a fellow poster at IMDb.com explained to me that the world of Indiana Jones is a parallel universe where the reality of the 20th century simply does not apply.

The main goal of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and the other Indiana Jones movies was to recreate the Saturday morning serial cliffhangers from the studio era of Hollywood. Spielburg and Lucas grew up on this type of matinee fodder. Therefore, exciting feats of derring do were mixed with nailbiting situations, with each movie wrapped in a quasi historical setting which supplied some believable villains. They were not meant to be taken as historically accurate in their period framework. And like those old matinee serials, they were meant for the kid in all of us, to be enjoyed and thrilled over, but not analyzed in any other context.

• Like 1

The main goal of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and the other Indiana Jones movies was to recreate the Saturday morning serial cliffhangers from the studio era of Hollywood. Spielburg and Lucas grew up on this type of matinee fodder. Therefore, exciting feats of derring do were mixed with nailbiting situations, with each movie wrapped in a quasi historical setting which supplied some believable villains. They were not meant to be taken as historically accurate in their period framework. And like those old matinee serials, they were meant for the kid in all of us, to be enjoyed and thrilled over, but not analyzed in any other context.

Very very true, Arturo,

But, ya wanna know what would REALLY would have added to the thrills of Indiana's exploits? Uh-huh, a motorcycle jump over a barbwire fence!!! LOL

(...sorry, but I just couldn't resist bringing up again my oh so valid earlier point about "The Great Escape" not being true to history ALSO)  ;)

The main goal of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and the other Indiana Jones movies was to recreate the Saturday morning serial cliffhangers from the studio era of Hollywood. Spielburg and Lucas grew up on this type of matinee fodder. 

Perfectly said.

But I also have a beef with Spielberg (more than Lucas) in that he spells out everything in his stories, leaving nothing to the viewer's imagination. I suppose that's ok when your film is geared towards kids, but makes it dull & contrived for adults.

To me it is silly for a screenwriter to be concerned about insulting the people of Madagascar or Leipzip.   

Most movie ticket buyers of fantasy movies do NOT feel a touch of reality is necessary for movie to be watchable.   Again,  the proof of this is that the fantasy movies you mentioned were box office winners.

Practically everything about India in TEMPLE OF DOOM is wrong, and SS keeps getting grief over it; for ex., no Hindi would ever eat the awful food of the notorious banquet scene.

Practically everything about India in TEMPLE OF DOOM is wrong, and SS keeps getting grief over it; for ex., no Hindi would ever eat the awful food of the notorious banquet scene.

Some cultures find some of our favorite foods disgusting.

http://www.businessinsider.com/american-foods-foreigners-find-gross-2013-10

http://www.newser.com/story/142444/15-american-foods-that-freak-out-the-world.html

That scene in "The Temple of Doom" is hilarious  :lol:

This is TAME compared to what I just seen on the internet.  Link is too disgusting to post.

indiana-jones-and-temple-of-doom.jpg

I make a lady where I work completely ill because I like oysters and squid. More gross to her, the oysters are smoked.

CloverLeafSmokedOysters.jpg

I'm disappointed Long John Silvers don't serve squid rings.yum.gif

FRIED-CALAMARI.jpg

Edited by hamradio

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings