Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Twickenham Studios Photos and The Beatles

Scruphy

I’m writing a series of short articles that tell the stories behind The Beatles’ album covers.  I’m currently writing about their fourth British album titled Beatles For Sale.

Inside the album’s front cover is a picture of The Beatles posed in front of a montage of film starts.  The picture was taken by photographer Robert Freeman in early 1964 at the Twickenham Film Studios’ Viewing Theatre in London.  A copy of the picture is attached.

Here’s my puzzle: I’m trying to identify all of the film stars shown in the picture, and hope to include a list of their names in my article.   I’ve contacted the staff at Twickenham Studios about my project but they never responded.  I’m hoping  you can spare a few minutes to identify some of those film stars, or perhaps refer me to your friends and colleagues who could help.

In order to make this work I’ve developed a numbered map of the individual photos in the montage and a corresponding numbered list for recording names as the stars are identified.  The numbered map is also attached, and a current list is below.  As you can see, almost half the people have been identified, but many more have not.  The name of the pirate-looking man with a mustache (photo number 10) just above Paul McCartney would be a great discovery.  Several photos have been identified as two different people – any thoughts on which one it is?  I’d also be interested in learning the name of the films these photos came from.

Thanks very much.

TWICKENHAM MONTAGE:

WHO’S IN THE PICTURE?

Attached are two prints of a photograph titled “The Beatles, Montage”.   It features The Beatles posed in front of a montage of film stars at London’s Twickenham Film Studios, and was taken by photographer Robert Freeman, circa March-April 1963.  The photo was used inside the front cover of the band’s fourth British album, Beatles For Sale.  In this picture we know who The Beatles are, but who are all those film stars behind them?  Please help me identify the names of the 34 actors and actresses behind The Beatles as they are numbered on the attached montage map.

The Beatles

A   George Harrison

B   Paul McCartney

C   John Lennon

D   Ringo Starr

Film Stars

1                            DONALD PLEASENCE

2 left____________________________________________________________________

2 center _________________________________________________________________

2 right    _________________________________________________________________

3        ____________________________________________________________________

4      _____________________________________________________________________

5                            MARY PICKFORD

6                            GLORIA GRAHAME or SUSAN HAYWARD

7 left      _____________________________________________________________________

7 right    _____________________________________________________________________

8 left      _____________________________________________________________________

8 right    _____________________________________________________________________

9                            ALBERT FINNEY

10                          DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS

11                          SIMONE SIGNORET

12     _________________________________________________________________________

13     _________________________________________________________________________

14                          JAYNE MANSFIELD

15 left                  VICTOR MATURE

15 right                MURRAY KASH

16                          THEDA BARA or ALLA NAZIMOVA

17 left                  BENNY HILL

17 right                TOMMY STEELE

18 left                  IAN CARMICHAEL

18 right                JANETTE SCOTT

19           ___________________________________________________________________

20           ___________________________________________________________________

21           ___________________________________________________________________

22           ___________________________________________________________________

23 left                  RACHEL ROBERTS

23 right                ALBERT FINNEY

24 left   ____________________________________________________________________

24 center  __________________________________________________________________

24 right  ___________________________________________________________________

Please add any corrections (did I overlook a picture?) and anything else of interest, such as the title of the movie that the picture was taken from.  Note that several photos have two names listed – any thoughts on which it is?  Also, please let me know if you know the whereabouts of a photo of the full Twickenham montage without anyone in front of it.  Thanks so much for your help.

post-43044-0-86080100-1408395833_thumb.jpg

post-43044-0-89255200-1408395848_thumb.jpg

post-43044-0-86080100-1408395833_thumb.jpg

post-43044-0-89255200-1408395848_thumb.jpg

Is there any way to post a link to a better image of the montage?  The thumbnail is indistinct.

Number 8 might be Lawrence Olivier and Vivienne Leigh.  And the movie might be That Hamilton Woman.

Number 10 does not look at all like Mr. Fairbanks, I'd sooner say it was Wallace Beery, if anybody.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings