Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Love The Smiling Lieutenant

slaytonf

One of my favorite Lubitsch movies.  Up there with Trouble in Paradise.  Witty, clever, amusing.  The scene between Colbert and Hopkins is--well--classic.  Full of early Thirties naughtiness.  That shot of Miriam Hopkins at the end of the movie, sitting at the piano, jazzing away, with choreographed cigarette smoking is one of the great moments in film.  Miss Hopkins nails it.

One of my favorite Lubitsch movies.  Up there with Trouble in Paradise.  Witty, clever, amusing.  The scene between Colbert and Hopkins is--well--classic.  Full of early Thirties naughtiness.  That shot of Miriam Hopkins at the end of the movie, sitting at the piano, jazzing away, with choreographed cigarette smoking is one of the great moments in film.  Miss Hopkins nails it.

I have seen this one before so I only catched the last half yesterday.    Yes, very good pre-code film.    Lubitsch must of really liked Hopkins since the 3 films he made with her (Designed for Living being the other) are all fine films.

The first time I saw the film I almost didn't believe that was Colbert with that dark hair.   Also,  it is interesting to see Colbert playing a hip band leader.    I tend to view Colbert as being someone reserved and not hip \ cool.    Great ending scene with Hopkins showing she has learned from Colbert how to be hip.      Classic Lubitsch type ending;  While the girl the audience is most prown to like doesn't get her man we don't feel sorry for her and it is still a happy, romantic ending.

..................plus her sexy come hither look over her shoulder at Maurice C. when in her undies at the end.  Ooo la la!!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings