Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Disappointed with MOVIES!

NipkowDisc

Last nite it was Walter Hill's "Hard Times" followed by John Badham's "Blue Thunder". Tuned in to the latter feature only to note any line of dialogue with the F word in it dubbed out. I don't hafta put up with that. :angry:  Destroys dramatic impact it does. Blue Thunder is one of the few competent action thrillers of the nineteen-eighties and unfortunately imo the last good movie that Roy Scheider ever starred in. Great kickass techno music score by Arthur B. Rubenstein. Quite superior to anything being "composed" today.

1rovv9.jpg

Last nite it was Walter Hill's "Hard Times" followed by John Badham's "Blue Thunder". Tuned in to the latter feature only to note any line of dialogue with the F word in it dubbed out. I don't hafta put up with that.

Yeah, but Hard Times may be Charles Bronson's best movie, and one of the top movies of the 70's. I recorded it off TCM in 2009 and again in 2013, but that's one of those films you can't see enough times.

Last nite it was Walter Hill's "Hard Times" followed by John Badham's "Blue Thunder". Tuned in to the latter feature only to note any line of dialogue with the F word in it dubbed out. I don't hafta put up with that.

Yeah, but Hard Times may be Charles Bronson's best movie, and one of the top movies of the 70's. I recorded it off TCM in 2009 and again in 2013, but that's one of those films you can't see enough times.

I knew it was a classic when I first saw it on pay cable circa 1975. :)

Oh yes you do. If you're gonna watch movies on a channel other than TCM, you're gonna have to put up with editing.

• Like 2

Oh yes you do. If you're gonna watch movies on a channel other than TCM, you're gonna have to put up with editing.

Isn't Blue Thunder wanna those films that never shows up on tcm? Tcm shows it then I'll watch it and many other people too I'm sure...but first they gotta show it. :D It really hurts me having to highlight an obvious tcm deficiency but somebody's gotta. :)

I haven't seen 'BLUE THUNDER' since I saw it in theaters with my mom when I was a little shaver.  I have an aging 'RCA/Columbia' tape of 'Blue Thunder' I bought circa 1997/98 from a closing video store.  Still have it, but I've not yet got 'round to watching the old video (which is dated 1983); hopefully I'll get around to it one of these years! ;)

Isn't Blue Thunder wanna those films that never shows up on tcm? Tcm shows it then I'll watch it and many other people too I'm sure...but first they gotta show it. :D It really hurts me having to highlight an obvious tcm deficiency but somebody's gotta. :)

In the minds of some, TCM's airing a movie from the 1980s would be heresy.

I am not one of those people. 

Bring on the 1980s!

In the minds of some, TCM's airing a movie from the 1980s would be heresy.

I am not one of those people. 

Bring on the 1980s!

The question or issue isn't if TCM should bring on the 1980s' since TCM shows films from the 80s, 90, and even those made after 2000.   

The question is how much of TCM's programming should be devoted to those decades;  the logic here is simple;  If TCM shows a movie from the 80s,  they are NOT showing a movie from, say,  the 30s.    There are only 24 hours in a day,  therefore TCM can only show so many films per day.

Now the above is very ABC but I only point it out since I feel some people really forget it when they complain 'why doesn't TCM show more movies from a certain decade or more movies from a certain genre that TCM doesn't feature as much as other genres.

Why variety is typically a good thing,  'too much' does change a brand.    e.g. if TCM was to devote 10% of their programming per decade,   that would cut down the programming of film noir, big time,  since most noir films were made in the 40s and 50s  (unless TCM ONLY showed noir films from those decades). 

I'm fine with TCM showing movies from every and any decade but I would like most of TCM's programming to be devoted to pre-1970 movies.    (by devoted I mean 80% or so of their programming).

I'm interested in how many users at this forum feel TCM should move to a 10% per decade type of model. 

I'm not sure I get the 10% per decade thing. While there are films from the 70s,80's and 90's that I do like, I tune into TCM to watch black and white movies, most of them film noirs and mysteries, throw some Val Lewton in there, too. I haven't watched TCM in a while. I don't care for the star of the month thing. There really hasn't been anything on that has appealed to me. With the bit of overtime in my last paycheck, I bought myself a present - The Boston B*l*a*c*k*I*e* DVD set. Haven't seen those on TCM for a while, sooo....

I'm not sure I get the 10% per decade thing. While there are films from the 70s,80's and 90's that I do like, I tune into TCM to watch black and white movies, most of them film noirs and mysteries, throw some Val Lewton in there, too. I haven't watched TCM in a while. I don't care for the star of the month thing. There really hasn't been anything on that has appealed to me. With the bit of overtime in my last paycheck, I bought myself a present - The Boston B*l*a*c*k*I*e* DVD set. Haven't seen those on TCM for a while, sooo....

The 10% per decade thing is very simple;  Some people wish to see more post 1969 movies.   One way to do that would be to show around 10% of movies from each decade instead of what TCM does now;  around 80% (if not more),  of the movies being pre-1970 movies.

Now I would like TCM to stay with 'around 80% pre-1970 movies' but doing so does limit TCM from showing more modern films. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings