Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where is Miss Wonderly?

DownGoesFrazier

But if you like trees, SF is not the place for you. May be the least sylvan of all the major U.S. cities.

In this regard, yes finance, SF is very much like NYC. And just like NYC's Central Park, SF has Golden Gate Park.

(...for all you "tree-huggers" out there) ;) 

Also, isn't it pretty hilly in San Francisco? I'm thinking maybe it's a difficult terrain for trees to grow on.

Hey, remember that scene in Vertigo, the one in which James Stewart kisses the mysterious Kim Novak, aka "Madeleine", aka "Judy"? They're sort of leaning on this huge sequoia tree, and the camera revolves around them while that unforgettable music plays.

Well, just saying, it's a great scene with a tree in it. And it's near San Francisco.

I'd love to visit that city sometime. Guess the flowers in the hair are optional.

I love San Francisco.  The lack of trees isn't a big deal to me, I'm from Oregon after all, we actually export trees to California-- during Christmas.  San Francisco is very hilly; but that's what makes it a unique city.  Parts of it are also built on "land" that was man made by filling in parts of the San Francisco Bay. 

Last time I was in San Francisco, my husband and I stayed at the Hotel Vertigo which is the building that was used as Kim Novak's apartment in the movie.  I made sure to look down the dizzying 6 floors of stairs, just like in the film. They actually have Vertigo playing in the lobby 24 hours a day, and I believe you can also watch it in your room if you're so inclined.  I own the film, so we chose to sight see instead. 

I love that city and can't wait to drive down there again.  The Redwood forest is beautiful and there's a kitschy Paul Bunyan tourist trap there too.  My husband and I usually combine a trip to San Francisco with a trip to Monterey to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

The furthest west I've been is Spokane.  I used to work with a lady who had lived in San Diego for several years.  She said she liked it because of the outstanding weather there.  But, being a native New Englander, she missed the change of seasons, so she moved back to Vermont!

I wouldn't say California is on my bucket list or anything like that, but if I were planning a trip there, it would be difficult to figure out where to visit.  Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Fort Ross, Santa Barbara, San Simeon, Hollywood....and everything else in between.  Too much to see...so little time!

I was in San Francisco only once, years ago, to visit a cousin who lived in the Mission district. Beautiful city. I think my favorite depiction of SF in the movies is in I Remember Mama. I particularly love those early scenes -- Mama and Trina talking on the porch, with the wind blowing; and the other sisters trudging up -- and later down -- the hill. Beautiful, evocative film.

We have been lucky with the weather in New York City this summer. Lovely days in the 70s and low 80s; nights in the 60s. And little humidity.

Congratulations, Miss Wonderly, for getting a "where are you?" thread. That's certainly a feather in the cap and accordingly I say to you, "Mon chapeau, Mlle Wonderment, a vous." As for me, I was breathtakingly unfazed and totally without anxiety at your absence since I very well remember you initiating a thread announcing that you might be away because certain goings-on were messing up the internet connection in your area and that you might therefore be a bit scarce around here for a bit. . But I can tell you, MissW, if you had NOT started that thread telling of your impending absence, I would have been most fazed at your sudden disappearance since I have always felt that you are one of the more entertaining posters around here. The fact that you announce your departure and STILL get a "where are you?" thread later on seems even a higher distinction (to my mind). My but what praise I have for you, yet I'm sure there are several others around her who would merit the distinction, in fact I believe JamesJG got one not too long ago. Not that any one's keeping score, just having a bit of fun with this, but MissW, glad you are back (in fact, I'm glad you're all here.)

I love San Francisco.  The lack of trees isn't a big deal to me, I'm from Oregon after all, we actually export trees to California-- during Christmas.  San Francisco is very hilly; but that's what makes it a unique city.  Parts of it are also built on "land" that was man made by filling in parts of the San Francisco Bay. 

Last time I was in San Francisco, my husband and I stayed at the Hotel Vertigo which is the building that was used as Kim Novak's apartment in the movie.  I made sure to look down the dizzying 6 floors of stairs, just like in the film. They actually have Vertigo playing in the lobby 24 hours a day, and I believe you can also watch it in your room if you're so inclined.  I own the film, so we chose to sight see instead. 

I love that city and can't wait to drive down there again.  The Redwood forest is beautiful and there's a kitschy Paul Bunyan tourist trap there too.  My husband and I usually combine a trip to San Francisco with a trip to Monterey to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Hitchcock's VERTIGO 24 hours a day? That's only slightly more than TCM shows Hirchcock's NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

Congratulations, Miss Wonderly, for getting a "where are you?" thread. That's certainly a feather in the cap and accordingly I say to you, "Mon chapeau, Mlle Wonderment, a vous." As for me, I was breathtakingly unfazed and totally without anxiety at your absence since I very well remember you initiating a thread announcing that you might be away because certain goings-on were messing up the internet connection in your area and that you might therefore be a bit scarce around here for a bit. . But I can tell you, MissW, if you had NOT started that thread telling of your impending absence, I would have been most fazed at your sudden disappearance since I have always felt that you are one of the more entertaining posters around here. The fact that you announce your departure and STILL get a "where are you?" thread later on seems even a higher distinction (to my mind). My but what praise I have for you, yet I'm sure there are several others around her who would merit the distinction, in fact I believe JamesJG got one not too long ago. Not that any one's keeping score, just having a bit of fun with this, but MissW, glad you are back (in fact, I'm glad you're all here.)

I don't think Miss W. should make too much of the "honour" of getting her own thread, since it arose 100% from the whim of yours truly.

Well Kid was nice enough to start a thread for me since I was removed as a user by the moderator.    I had reported spam and in addition to deleting the spam threads they deleted me.    Is that an honor?   To me it was more of a horror!  

Two years ago this month I had an abdominal aneurysm put me in hospital for 12 days - unexpectedly.

Nobody at all noticed I was gone.

Unless some did but didn't want to say "yay!" for some reason.

I believe I was temporarily offline around that time

The above not to be taken too seriously, as I said near the end 'all in fun'.

finance, yes we know how wonderful you are ...

Two years ago this month I had an abdominal aneurysm put me in hospital for 12 days - unexpectedly.

Nobody at all noticed I was gone.

Unless some did but didn't want to say "yay!" for some reason.

Yikes, that must have been just horrible.  As it was summertime, maybe everyone thought you were on vacation?

I don't think Miss W. should make too much of the "honour" of getting her own thread, since it arose 100% from the whim of yours truly.

finance, please appreciate the fact that MissW has not yet been so presumptuous as to consider it an honor, nor do I anticipate that she necessarily will. The idea of suggesting that it is an honor did not come from her, but arose 100% from the whim of yours truly.

Yikes, that must have been just horrible.  As it was summertime, maybe everyone thought you were on vacation?

Probably so.

ONLY the "Glass Half FULL" types might have thought of that, whereas it appears the "Glass Half EMPTY" types around here always seem to think the missing poster might have befallen some nefarious fate of some sort.

(...ME?!...well actually I'M one o' those "HEY! Who The Hell Has Been Drinkin' Out Of My Glass" types, and so keep me out o' this!)

ONLY the "Glass Half FULL" types might have thought of that, whereas it appears the "Glass Half EMPTY" types around here always seem to think the missing poster might have befallen some nefarious fate of some sort.

(...ME?!...well actually I'M one o' those "HEY! Who The Hell Has Been Drinkin' Out Of My Glass" types, and so keep me out o' this!)

We'll remember that, Dargo, if you take a powder! ;)

Let's see. If I want to get my own thread, I'll have to disappear for a while. But if nobody notices, nobody cares, or somebody says "good riddance", the attempt will have backfired, so I better not do it.

Let's see. If I want to get my own thread, I'll have to disappear for a while. But if nobody notices, nobody cares, or somebody says "good riddance", the attempt will have backfired, so I better not do it.

In your case, you could disappear for awhile and if no one noticed, you could come back on and start a thread entitled "Where is finance?" and then answer it by saying, "Hey, here I am" and not only have your own thread but two more posts.

In your case, you could disappear for awhile and if no one noticed, you could come back on and start a thread entitled "Where is finance?" and then answer it by saying, "Hey, here I am" and not only have your own thread but two more posts.

But look at all the posts I would have lost during my hiatus.

But look at all the posts I would have lost during my hiatus.

A small price to pay for your very own "Where are you?" thread, despite in the present case, to have been shamelessly started by your own hand. As to your lost posts, no fear; the inexorable march to 50K shall not be impeded by mere hiatus, your success and subsequent fame in that regard seems assured.

A small price to pay for your very own "Where are you?" thread, despite in the present case, to have been shamelessly started by your own hand. As to your lost posts, no fear; the inexorable march to 50K shall not be impeded by mere hiatus, your success and subsequent fame in that regard seems assured.

My only worry is that Fred C. Dobbs gets it into his head that he wants to be the first to 50,000, and devotes 24 hours a day to catching and passing me to be first to that milestone.

Archived