Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where is Miss Wonderly?

DownGoesFrazier

I assume she has left Canada, since she's always complaining about TCM's schedule there. She has probably moved to the U.S. (maybe San Francisco) and hasn't had her Internet set up yet!

California would welcome MissW with open arms!  :)

San Francisco open your Golden Gates... (That's all I remember.) 

California would welcome MissW with open arms!  :)

San Francisco open your Golden Gates... (That's all I remember.) 

No, no...she'll re-incarnate as Bridget O'Shaughnessy and build a home on a vacant lot in Burlingame!  ;)

'Older" posters? Rumor has it that Miss W. hasn't been posting because she is off celebrating her 90th birthday.

Older meaning being on the boards awhile, not in age. A lot of "older" posters here dont post much anymore. The boards are boring (sorry)............

Older meaning being on the boards awhile, not in age. A lot of "older" posters here dont post much anymore. The boards are boring (sorry)............

With 50,000 staring me in the face, I've got to keep myself psyched...........Are the boards boring because George's rear end is fading into the sunset?

With 50,000 staring me in the face, I've got to keep myself psyched...........Are the boards boring because George's rear end is fading into the sunset?

I'm pretty sure Hibi has me on ignore. That doesn't help with the boredom as I can usually be counted on to say something provocative before too long.

So she's ignoring  clever people and reading posts from stiffs? BORRRRING.

Clever and boring is in the eye of the beholder. I dont read every post or every thread if it doesnt interest me............

Well, guys, I'm back. I have to say, it is very flattering to have an entire thread devoted to speculation about why I'm not here (when I'm not here, that is.) But I won't let it go to my head, I'm sure if any other "regular", like finance or Hibi or darkblue or any other (sorry, can't list them all) person who posts on this site fairly often suddenly disappeared, they'd have a thread about why they weren't around, too.

Believe it or not, I've not as yet read most of this thread. Can't accuse me of narcissism. I will. But first, I wanted to post a great song that I haven't thought about in ages. This thread title reminded me of it.

Back in the 90s, there was a kids' show (for older kids, like 10-14 or so), called "Where in the World is Carmen Santiego?" It had good music a lot of the time, I think the name of the band was "Rockapella".

Anyway, they made a lovely, Latino (Cuban?) style song called "Amazing World". The music is fun, and the lyrics are so joyful, I'd call the whole song "life-affirming". Here it is:

(by the way, the song ends at around 4:35. I don't know why there are two more minutes on the video, but it's done at 4:35.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5g8DIzvzyE

Aargh ! I wish I had some clever and/or funny story to explain my absence. I don't even mean a real one, I wish I could make up some outrageous tale that somehow combined being cast in a new and fabulous movie, lying around on a Caribbean beach, running away with Ben Mankiewicz, solitary confinement in a high security prison, and attending a Nobel Prize ceremony where I received the award for film criticism, and several intimate rendez-vous with an eccentric millionaire. Oh yes, and of course, how I've been busy taping "wraparounds" for TCM, since they want me as the new co-host.

But, all I could do was mesh together all the above in one long "check one" fantasy explanation of why I've been away.

Ok...Truth is, I've been in Winnipeg. That says it all, I think.

Aargh ! I wish I had some clever and/or funny story to explain my absence. I don't even mean a real one, I wish I could make up some outrageous tale that somehow combined being cast in a new and fabulous movie, lying around on a Caribbean beach, running away with Ben Mankiewicz, solitary confinement in a high security prison, and attending a Nobel Prize ceremony where I received the award for film criticism, and several intimate rendez-vous with an eccentric millionaire. Oh yes, and of course, how I've been busy taping "wraparounds" for TCM, since they want me as the new co-host.

But, all I could do was mesh together all the above in one long "check one" fantasy explanation of why I've been away.

Ok...Truth is, I've been in Winnipeg. That says it all, I think.

The wording of your entire post makes Winnepeg sound like a very un-exciting place.

darkblue and finance, I owe an apology. To Winnipeg.

I actually loved it. Guess I just thought a terse "that says it all" sounded final and amusing. I was unkind and untruthful, though. 

Fact is, I found Winnipeg to be a fantastic place, loads of old buildings and neighbourhoods (something I always like - I'm a bit of a fanatic for old buildings, in fact, even if -or especially if -they're kind of deserted and seedy-looking - like the setting of a classic film noir...).

Not that Winnipeg is "seedy"; in fact, it's a surprisingly vibrant town. I had not expected to find it so, don't know why. But I loved it!

I was visiting my daughter, who's just started a 2-year Masters program at one of the universities there. And ain't no way I'm going to visit her in the winter time. Winnipeg is reputed to be one of the coldest places on the continent (in the winter.)

By the way, I did try once or twice to log on to the TCM site, on my daughter's laptop computer, but it wouldn't acknowledge my user name or password. And I think most of us know what a pain in the buttocks trying a new password can be.

Don't know what I'll do when my own home computer dies (which it is definitely going to do fairly soon, I've been told), since this clunky old slow old-fashioned "desk top" computer is the only one that lets me in to the message boards here.

I actually loved it. Guess I just thought a terse "that says it all" sounded final and amusing. I was unkind and untruthful, though. 

Fact is, I found Winnipeg to be a fantastic place, loads of old buildings and neighbourhoods (something I always like - I'm a bit of a fanatic for old buildings, in fact, even if -or especially if -they're kind of deserted and seedy-looking - like the setting of a classic film noir...).

Not that Winnipeg is "seedy"; in fact, it's a surprisingly vibrant town. I had not expected to find it so, don't know why. But I loved it!

I was visiting my daughter, who's just started a 2-year Masters program at one of the universities there. And ain't no way I'm going to visit her in the winter time. Winnipeg is reputed to be one of the coldest places on the continent (in the winter.)

By the way, I did try once or twice to log on to the TCM site, on my daughter's laptop computer, but it wouldn't acknowledge my user name or password. And I think most of us know what a pain in the buttocks trying a new password can be.

Don't know what I'll do when my own home computer dies (which it is definitely going to do fairly soon, I've been told), since this clunky old slow old-fashioned "desk top" computer is the only one that lets me in to the message boards here.

Is a person from Winnipeg known as a Winnepegger? Winnepegite? Winnepeggerino?

Good wishes for your daughter, that sounds exciting!

Years ago I met a girl from Winnipeg--smart, funny, and artistic, though the first two at least apply to most Canadians I know.  :)

Years ago I met a girl from Winnipeg--smart, funny, and artistic, though the first two at least apply to most Canadians I know. 

Yeah I dated a Canadian guy and was struck by the differences in basic education between US & Canada:

Canadians know real world history while US kids barely know their own country's history. Canadians have a grip on world geography and US kids don't know the countries that border them. Canadian kids can list several great painters while US kids can list serial killers.

It's very disheartening.

My favorite show was Rick Mercer's TALKING TO AMERICANS;

"Congratulations Canada on getting your first University!"

"Congratulations Canada for getting your first airport!"

"Congratulations Canada for adopting the 24 hour clock!"

Years ago I met a girl from Winnipeg--smart, funny, and artistic, though the first two at least apply to most Canadians I know. 

Yeah I dated a Canadian guy and was struck by the differences in basic education between US & Canada:

Canadians know real world history while US kids barely know their own country's history. Canadians have a grip on world geography and US kids don't know the countries that border them. Canadian kids can list several great painters while US kids can list serial killers.

It's very disheartening.

My favorite show was Rick Mercer's TALKING TO AMERICANS;

"Congratulations Canada on getting your first University!"

"Congratulations Canada for getting your first airport!"

"Congratulations Canada for adopting the 24 hour clock!"

Wow. Compared to Canadian kids, U.S. kids are real hosers.

My brother, a proud MICHIGANDER had a good retort for a guy down in Kentucky where my brother lived his final days.

When he was asked, "Hey, Len----What's it LIKE being known as the same thing they call a MALE GOOSE?"

My brother, nonplussed, looked over to the guy and replied, "It COULD be WORSE.  I COULD be known as A KENTUCKIAN!"

THAT made "KAINTUCK" shut the hell up!

Sepiatone

Archived