Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should TCM split into TCM and TCM Classic?

Richard Kimble

You don't even have to know what it exactly means in order to intuit that it's a stupid idea.  I'd imagine it's a brain child of someone who wants TCM to be exclusively pre-1960 Hollywood movies, with happy or righteous endings carefully monitored by Pope Breen.  Of course as about a hundred threads have determined beyond any serious dispute, the definition of "classic" is wholly subjective and impossible for any five people to agree on.

• Like 2

I've heard this idea proposed before, and I've never liked it.  It assumes that there are two kinds of movie lovers, those who like "classic" films and those who prefer post-1960 movies.

Such an assumption is at best, very vague and general, and at worst, downright erroneous. Sure, there are and always have been the "Why does TCM stray from studio-era movies?" worriers. But I do not believe they represent the majority of Turner Classic Movie fans.

I have always felt that if you like movies, you like movies, regardless of what time period they were made. Or, if you don't (like a movie), it's simply because it's a bad movie. Plenty of 'em made in every decade.

I like the fact that TCM shows all kinds of films, from many different eras. I like the mixed bag of cinematic offerings I find at this television station. I'd be quite upset if they did split it into two different channels. I find the very fact that it airs so many different types of films kind of unifying, and the idea of dividing the programming up like that vaguely depressing.

• Like 5

Or is that the stupidest idea since 1985?

9emxrHR.jpg

Should TCM split into TCM and TCM Classic?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And then I, too, can post at a board where everyone agrees with me and anyone who doesn't agree with me can come to this board.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When is it going to debut? :D

Sure....and WHO is going to cover the cost of an entirely new channel?

Can't you be satisfied there is A station that shows MOVIES UNCUT & COMMERCIAL FREE? Commercial-free, people! That alone is worth watching....stop complaining about what they are showing and be more grateful about what they're NOT showing!

With more and more people cutting back on expenses, I think cable & satellite subscriptions will decline in the upcoming years. I seriously doubt there will be money around to create another station just for you complainers.

• Like 2

Heck NO!!!  If it splits, the providers will drop one or both channels.  It is hard enough to keep them providing TCM as a non-premium channel.

Rememver AMC started off much the same as TCM, but couldn't make enough money so changed to what it is today.  Same thing would happen with TWO TCM channels.

Of course, as many have said, who gets to define what "classic" means?

Also, as we age, "classic" meaning "old" changes.  What was a new movie when TCM started is now almost a "classic" and will be in a few years.  Same thing happens with old cars.

I've heard this idea proposed before, and I've never liked it.  It assumes that there are two kinds of movie lovers, those who like "classic" films and those who prefer post-1960 movies.

Such an assumption is at best, very vague and general, and at worst, downright erroneous. Sure, there are and always have been the "Why does TCM stray from studio-era movies?" worriers. But I do not believe they represent the majority of Turner Classic Movie fans.

I have always felt that if you like movies, you like movies, regardless of what time period they were made. Or, if you don't (like a movie), it's simply because it's a bad movie. Plenty of 'em made in every decade.

I like the fact that TCM shows all kinds of films, from many different eras. I like the mixed bag of cinematic offerings I find at this television station. I'd be quite upset if they did split it into two different channels. I find the very fact that it airs so many different types of films kind of unifying, and the idea of dividing the programming up like that vaguely depressing.

YOU like movies, period. Many on these boards, not just Mr. Dobbs, feel differently. But it's still a bad idea, business-wise for TCM. Many seem to think that business or profitability concerns of TCM are irrelevant. All  that matters is that they are able to suck as much enjoyment as possible out of TCM.

It's a terrible suggestion primarily for a reason already stated on this thread. The (presumably) post '60s version of TCM will be a bigger ratings winner, and will be easier to find with a lot of suppliers. The pre-'70s TCM will be tougher to find, I strongly suspect.

Beside that, I don't mind a mixture of the old and new on one channel, as long as the emphasis is upon pre-'70s (which is what we have now).

It's a terrible suggestion primarily for a reason already stated on this thread. The (presumably) post '60s version of TCM will be a bigger ratings winner, and will be easier to find with a lot of suppliers. The pre-'70s TCM will be tougher to find, I strongly suspect.

Beside that, I don't mind a mixture of the old and new on one channel, as long as the emphasis is upon pre-'70s (which is what we have now).

Ok,  it appears people don't want two TCMs.  I do from a programming POV but the concerns related to having to pay a direct fee for each are legit.

If there is still only one TCM should TCM change their programming to show more post 1970 movies? That is the programming question people are avoiding.   

So how much of TCM's programming should be devoted to Post-1970 movies?   10%?   50%?  80%?

Should TCM evenly distribute the movies they show by decade?      

Please note that doing so would be a MAJOR change to TCM.     e.g.  the showing of movies from studio-era stars like Davis, Gable,  Bogie, Hepburn, etc..  would be reduced by 50% or more.   

Film Noir would be reduce by 80% or more.   

Hey,  maybe this is what people here want.      But just saying 'I like that TCM shows post 1970 movies' doesn't say much as it relates to how TCM should go about selecting the type of films they are going to show.

An irrelevant suggestion because tcm has and does show 70s and 80s films like Jaws, close encounters and The Right Stuff. Right? Right. :D  What they oughta do is knock it off with their eclectic/silent/foreign film routine and substitute 70s and 80s fare and we're all be alright with that. :)

What they oughta do is knock it off with their eclectic/silent/foreign film routine and substitute 70s and 80s fare and we're all be alright with that. :)

While others among us might wish that they knock off with all the Westerns, musicals, and sappy juveniles of the Andy Hardy / Teen Idols / Beach movies variety, and give us more silent and foreign films. :)

But the real blessing of TCM is that it doesn't seem to be paying any attention to people who seek perfection through exclusion rather than inclusion.  Some of us have to put up with John Wayne and Doris Day and Elvis Presley and Mickey Rooney, while others are just going to have to put up with a tiny handful of silents and foreign movies. :):):):):)

• Like 4

Or is that the stupidest idea since 1985?

It is!  Same argument rehashed over and over - what makes certain films a classic?  Some people confuses classic with Studio Era.

The "Classic Coke" was only a stupid marketing ploy. Coke has never ceased selling the original.roter-coca.gif

I suspect that people who want change are going to regret what they wish for. Look at what became of Fox Movies lately or AMC further back.

While I personally agree that films made after the studio era also can be "classic" in both the true and TCM sense (It's classic if WE show it), I can already see many of those films on a lot of different services.

I don't think TCM would split into two services. It would just evolve into something exactly the same as MGM movies and AMC and FXM and some of the Encore services.

Recently, a lot of other cable services have changed to look exactly like one another. Lifetime Movies, for example, now is LMN and runs reality and true crime most of the day.

I hope TCM bucks the trend, with only small concessions to more modern films, and continues to be unlike it competitors in the movie services.

• Like 1

It is!  Same argument rehashed over and over - what makes certain films a classic?  Some people confuses classic with Studio Era.

The "Classic Coke" was only a stupid marketing ploy. Coke has never ceased selling the original.roter-coca.gif

To me this isn't about the classic debate (which is useless since movies from all decades can be 'classic) but about how TCM should breakdown their programming.    The example of classic coke is folly as it relates to TCM since when TCM does show a post-1970 movies they are NOT showing a pre-1970 movie.   This is because TCM can only show ONE movie at a time.   (which would be like Coke ceasing to sell the original).

So your in charge of TCM programming;  For a years worth of programming breakdown the percentage of movies you would show on a per decade basis?     

This is the type of challange the TCM programming staff has when they decide what films to lease.   

What they oughta do is knock it off with their eclectic/silent/foreign film routine and substitute 70s and 80s fare and we're all be alright with that. :)

While others among us might wish that they knock off with all the Westerns, musicals, and sappy juveniles of the Andy Hardy / Teen Idols / Beach movies variety, and give us more silent and foreign films. :)

But the real blessing of TCM is that it doesn't seem to be paying any attention to people who seek perfection through exclusion rather than inclusion.  Some of us have to put up with John Wayne and Doris Day and Elvis Presley and Mickey Rooney, while others are just going to have to put up with a tiny handful of silents and foreign movies. :):):):):)

My basic point is and always has been that obscure silent and foreign films are not american or even british mainstream film fare. Tcm should be keeping their film choices mainstream and avoid going off halfcocked on all these divergent paths and or eclectic binges of theirs. If tcm had a small localized viewership base then frequent eclectic binges would be okay but tcm programmers, in case that haven't taken notice, are playing to a multi-national audience and not a small circle of viewers in crescent roll heights, greenwich village. :)

would be like Coke ceasing to sell the original

This was actually the original idea, at least publicly. But the backlash was so great they created Classic Coke shortly afterward.

Now if you want to believe it was a publicity stunt and they planned to start CC all the time, that's up to you...

My basic point is and always has been that obscure silent and foreign films are not american or even british mainstream film fare. Tcm should be keeping their film choices mainstream and avoid going off halfcocked on all these divergent eclectic arthouse binges of theirs.

My basic point is that you shouldn't use the term 'we' like you did in your prior post.   As we have discussed before you don't represent a group of people.  There is no 'we' as it relates to your opinions.

What you should have learned from Andy's post is that there are many different views as it relates to what type of films TCM should show or NOT show.     

What I find funny here is that most everyone rejects the idea of 2 TCMs, BUT if there were two TCMs (if not more),   the odds are greater that more people would find the type of movies they are looking with a more narrowly defined (as it relates to programming),  station.     (again,  if the cost concerns were not a factor).

• Like 1

My basic point is that you shouldn't use the term 'we' like you did in your prior post.   As we have discussed before you don't represent a group of people.  There is no 'we' as it relates to your opinions.

What you should have learned from Andy's post is that there are many different views as it relates to what type of films TCM should show or NOT show.     

What I find funny here is that most everyone rejects the idea of 2 TCMs, BUT if there were two TCMs (if not more),   the odds are greater that more people would find the type of movies they are looking with a more narrowly defined (as it relates to programming),  station.     (again,  if the cost concerns were not a factor).

And tcm is not supposed to be some eclectic subscription cable sevice either. Keep it mainstrean, I say. American and british mainstream. :)

And tcm is not supposed to be some eclectic subscription cable sevice either. Keep it mainstrean, I say. American and british mainstream. :)

But you also don't want to see 'obscure silent' movies,  and those are American.      

To me 'mainstream' has NO meaning.  It is as vague as 'classic'.

I'd watch both.

But, depending on the split, I'd mostly watch the one that shows movies that were released from 1964 onward.  If 1964 was the split, I'd probably watch 10 percent the older channel, 90 percent the newer.

Both would have to maintain the policy of uncut and commercial free, of course. If either or both were to abandon that policy I'd be gone as a viewer from either or both. Additionally, screen bugs would have to be kept minimally present, as they are currently, or I'd likely be gone as well.

But, to answer the question more specifically - the answer is: No, it shouldn't.

As to the programming breakdown I'd like, in answer to james' query:

20's movies - 5 percent

30's movies - 15 percent

40's movies - 15 percent

50's movies - 15 percent

60's movies - 15 percent

70's movies - 15 percent

80's movies - 10 percent

90's movies - 10 percent

In the year 2020, I'd add a category for movies of the 2000's which would require a reset of percentages - I'd begin with just a 5 percent share for those movies for the first 5 years, taking away 1 percentage point from the 30's through 70's.

But you also don't want to see 'obscure silent' movies,  and those are American.      

To me 'mainstream' has NO meaning.  It is as vague as 'classic'.

I guess to me 70, 80 or 90 year old european silents would be vague. :lol:

My basic point is and always has been that obscure silent and foreign films are not american

I guess the solution to that would be to call in the House Committee on Un-American Movies.    That might give the House something to do in between its 51st and 52nd repealings of Obamacare. B)

• Like 2

I'd watch both.

But, depending on the split, I'd mostly watch the one that shows movies that were released from 1964 onward.  If 1964 was the split, I'd probably watch 10 percent the older channel, 90 percent the newer.

Both would have to maintain the policy of uncut and commercial free, of course. If either or both were to abandon that policy I'd be gone as a viewer from either or both. Additionally, screen bugs would have to be kept minimally present, as they are currently, or I'd likely be gone as well.

But, to answer the question more specifically - the answer is: No, it shouldn't.

As to the programming breakdown I'd like, in answer to james' query:

20's movies - 5 percent

30's movies - 15 percent

40's movies - 15 percent

50's movies - 15 percent

60's movies - 15 percent

70's movies - 15 percent

80's movies - 10 percent

90's movies - 10 percent

In the year 2020, I'd add a category for movies of the 2000's which would require a reset of percentages - I'd begin with just a 5 percent share for those movies for the first 5 years, taking away 1 percentage point from the 30's through 70's.

Thanks for taking the time to lay out the type of programming change you would like to see.     I often think people don't realize that when they say they want more of X that means less of Y.    TCM isn't Pandora where one gets to pick what they wish to see from a massive selection of choices (but I hope it will be some day as long as the cost is reasonable).

You have around 1\3 of the programming devoted to movies released after 1969.    I wonder if the people here that say they want TCM to show more movies released after 1969 really want that high of a percentage,  as well as the associated reduction in movies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

This was actually the original idea, at least publicly. But the backlash was so great they created Classic Coke shortly afterward.

Now if you want to believe it was a publicity stunt and they planned to start CC all the time, that's up to you...

So, we'd get a classic channel but with some kind of brain-rotting replacement ingredient? Like... commercials? AND a redundant word after the acronym, like ATM Machine or MLB Baseball? No, this is truly a terrible idea.

Thanks, TCM, for being EVERYTHING you are, not just what I like!

• Like 4

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings