Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lone Wolf marathon on GET TV

ginnyfan

GET TV is running a marathon of Columbia Lone Wolf mysteries with both Warren William and Gerald Mohr today. Between that and Lee Tracy, my two DVRs are starting to overheat!

Anyway, has there ever been a change in casting of the lead actor in a series that was more pronounced than this one? Changing out the classy William for the hard boiled Mohr is rather striking.

I'm a big Mohr fan from his radio work, but the change takes some getting used to.

GET TV is running a marathon of Columbia Lone Wolf mysteries with both Warren William and Gerald Mohr today...has there ever been a change in casting of the lead actor in a series that was more pronounced than this one? 

Columbia did it a few times.

Actually it occurred again in the same series-- after Mohr, they put Ron Randell into the lead role. But Randell only made one film as Michael Lanyard-- the series was running out of steam by that point.

In the Whistler series, Columbia substituted Michael Duane for Richard Dix twice.

The studio also switched leads in its Ellery Queen detective series earlier in the 40s. First, the main role was played by Ralph Bellamy, then William Gargan took over-- though Charley Grapewin continued as the detective's father. Bellamy played Ellery Queen four times for Columbia in 1940/41 and Gargan played Ellery Queen three times in 1942.

I don't know if these substitutions were more or less pronounced than the one you mentioned-- but I am sure audiences were used to the casting changes that sometimes happened with long-running film series.

• Like 1

Comcast in the bay area does not carry GETTV at the present time. Do you get a lot of commercial interruptions on GETTV ?

It has standard OTA TV ads like ME or Movies! A chance to buy those cell phones for seniors and the like. They do show a lot of Columbia's we don't see often. We do see the Lone Wolf on TCM, but I've also seen a lot of other films for the first time on GET.

I record so I can avoid the commercials.

GET TV is running a marathon of Columbia Lone Wolf mysteries with both Warren William and Gerald Mohr today. Between that and Lee Tracy, my two DVRs are starting to overheat!

Anyway, has there ever been a change in casting of the lead actor in a series that was more pronounced than this one? Changing out the classy William for the hard boiled Mohr is rather striking.

I'm a big Mohr fan from his radio work, but the change takes some getting used to.

Isn't it wonderful? Wouldn't it be nice if they were without commercials? To me, they are unwatchable with commercials.

Wow, Mohr was horrific after William, also unwatchable. A bit player on Superman the tv series, and nothing more.

Wish TCM would play these and Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto. Remember when AMC was classic before they turned to garbage and showed great CLASSIC movies?

Wow, Mohr was horrific after William, also unwatchable. A bit player on Superman the tv series, and nothing more.

I agree Mohr is an odd choice for the Lone Wolf. He was built up to be a poor man's Bogart or Dick Powell. They would have made lousy Lanyards as well. But his radio work was top notch and he did several good turns on Warner Brothers TV in the late 1950s.

I'd say he's a little better than just a Superman actor (i.e. Ben Welden).

As far as the commercials go, for those who question the ads, when the choice is commercials or not seeing a particular film on TV, I'll take commercials.

GET has been showing a lot of Columbia's I've never seen on TCM.

I agree Mohr is an odd choice for the Lone Wolf. He was built up to be a poor man's Bogart or Dick Powell. They would have made lousy Lanyards as well. But his radio work was top notch and he did several good turns on Warner Brothers TV in the late 1950s.

I'd say he's a little better than just a Superman actor (i.e. Ben Welden).

As far as the commercials go, for those who question the ads, when the choice is commercials or not seeing a particular film on TV, I'll take commercials.

GET has been showing a lot of Columbia's I've never seen on TCM.

Very true for those with a DVR who can fast forward through the plethora of unpleasant ads on GetTV - I guess they think only incontinent seniors who can't climb stairs and hire their lawyers from a TV ad watch GetTV - but for those who won't fork over more money to an already overpriced FIOS, well we've chosen to bite off our noses to spite our faces. :D

I love that saying.

I'll take Netflix or a baseball game.  At least the timing of the commercials during baseball games has a relationship to an organic pause in the "plot".  Not so with commercial interruptions of movies.

I'll take Netflix or a baseball game. At least the timing of the commercials during baseball games has a relationship to an organic pause in the "plot". Not so with commercial interruptions of movies.

I don't have Netflix and watch plenty of baseball. My point is that unless TCM makes a deal for a lot of these films, GET is going to be my way to see them. And I can live with that. Commercial skip is my friend. Of course, I'm also old enough to remember when NBC Saturday Night At The Movies was the only game in town for the high budget films on TV, so commercials just don't annoy me all that much. That was when mom passed out the ice cream and Jiffy Pop!

OTOH, I attend a lot of football games and those commercial breaks are really annoying to the live patron. Especially when they decide to have one break after a score than another right after the ensuing kickoff. Commercial TV never does that with movies.

• Like 1

I don't have Netflix and watch plenty of baseball. My point is that unless TCM makes a deal for a lot of these films, GET is going to be my way to see them. And I can live with that. Commercial skip is my friend. Of course, I'm also old enough to remember when NBC Saturday Night At The Movies was the only game in town for the high budget films on TV, so commercials just don't annoy me all that much. That was when mom passed out the ice cream and Jiffy Pop!

OTOH, I attend a lot of football games and those commercial breaks are really annoying to the live patron. Especially when they decide to have one break after a score than another right after the ensuing kickoff. Commercial TV never does that with movies.

Good post. We have become spoiled, not wanting commercials to interrupt our viewing. With a 'free' station like ME, or GET or Antenna, I think we can live with the commercials. But one thing I do not agree with is when cable channels have commercials, because it is like paying to watch a commercial and I refuse to do that. So that is why I never watch TVLand or AMC.

Good post. We have become spoiled, not wanting commercials to interrupt our viewing. With a 'free' station like ME, or GET or Antenna, I think we can live with the commercials. But one thing I do not agree with is when cable channels have commercials, because it is like paying to watch a commercial and I refuse to do that. So that is why I never watch TVLand or AMC.

What I don't like about channels that show commercials during films is they always place the commercial right in the middle of a suspenseful scene or in the middle of action.  Not somewhere where there is a lull or a good break.  Who wants to watch a car chase ensue, then a commercial, then the remainder of the chase?  The commercials break up the momentum of the film. 

I'm used to the commercials on channels that show TV shows like METV, Antenna TV and TVLand (although I don't watch it, because the shows I like are butchered); however, it's when the channel starts placing a precedence on commercials over actual programming that gets on my nerves.  I love watching football; but find watching games on TV somewhat tedious because of all the commercials.  The team scores a touchdown. Commercial.  The refs review the scoring play. Commercial. The team kicks the extra point. Commercial. They punt the ball, the other team receives the punt and runs. Commercial.  Ugh.  I am so glad I have RedZone which allows me to watch all the games without commercials. 

What I don't like about channels that show commercials during films is they always place the commercial right in the middle of a suspenseful scene or in the middle of action.  Not somewhere where there is a lull or a good break.  Who wants to watch a car chase ensue, then a commercial, then the remainder of the chase?  The commercials break up the momentum of the film. 

That is a problem and it is one that varies from film to film. I watched a day of Glenn Fords and the commercials seemed to be well placed. When they showed THE LONE WOLF SPY HUNT, GET seemed to just fade into commercials in the middle of things.

That is a problem and it is one that varies from film to film. I watched a day of Glenn Fords and the commercials seemed to be well placed. When they showed THE LONE WOLF SPY HUNT, GET seemed to just fade into commercials in the middle of things.

Hmmmm..."a day of Glenn Fords", eh GF?!

So tell us. Did all those commercial interruptions keep waking you from a sound sleep or somethin'??? LOL

(...sorry, but other than my recent discovery of Glenn doin' a great job in "The Teahouse of the August Moon", I gotta say I've always found his presence in a movie to be the next best thing to Sominex in relief of my occasional insomnia)

One day with "The Lone Wolf/Michael Lanyard" was enough for me.  I know a certain lady on the Boards loves Warren William but he leaves me cold.  Gerald Mohr was okay as Lanyard but the stories were predictable and had almost so sense of reality.  They came across as rehashes of "The Falcon" or other such series.  At least I had the chance to find out for myself. 

GetTV is becoming my "go to station" when TCM's films are not my cup of tea.  I've always thought I'd have wanted to work at Fox had I been around in the 40s or 50s because of their many thought- provoking stories but from the wide range of films we are seeing from Columbia at that time that might not have been a bad place to be either, Cohn or no Cohn.  Commercials or not, this station is a real find.        

One day with "The Lone Wolf/Michael Lanyard" was enough for me.  I know a certain lady on the Boards loves Warren William but he leaves me cold.  Gerald Mohr was okay as Lanyard but the stories were predictable and had almost so sense of reality.  They came across as rehashes of "The Falcon" or other such series.  At least I had the chance to find out for myself. 

GetTV is becoming my "go to station" when TCM's films are not my cup of tea.  I've always thought I'd have wanted to work at Fox had I been around in the 40s or 50s because of their many thought- provoking stories but from the wide range of films we are seeing from Columbia at that time that might not have been a bad place to be either, Cohn or no Cohn.  Commercials or not, this station is a real find.        

I know a certain lady on the Boards loves Warren William but he leaves me cold.

I'm no lady, I'm his future wife. Tomato, tomahto. :D

GetTV did indeed butcher his Lone Wolf films, which would have been nice to see if they didn't interrupt Warren mid-sentence, exaggerating only a little. I didn't stick around after that.

Hmmmm..."a day of Glenn Fords", eh GF?!

So tell us. Did all those commercial interruptions keep waking you from a sound sleep or somethin'??? LOL

(...sorry, but other than my recent discovery of Glenn doin' a great job in "The Teahouse of the August Moon", I gotta say I've always found his presence in a movie to be the next best thing to Sominex in relief of my occasional insomnia)

Yeah, but a couple of them were with Evelyn Keyes!

:o primosprimos:  Did you catch Madame X last night?  I liked your Mr. William in this even if he was so unforgiving at first in the film.  He played a character with depth rather than just firing off one-liners as The Lone Wolf and Perry Mason did.  I admit it, he could act. 

:o primosprimos:  Did you catch Madame X last night?  I liked your Mr. William in this even if he was so unforgiving at first in the film.  He played a character with depth rather than just firing off one-liners as The Lone Wolf and Perry Mason did.  I admit it, he could act. 

Rats, no wouldbestar. The loverly Warren, and in 1937 and with Gladys - darn, I would have liked to see that one.

Hopefully it will be rerun.

My Mr. Willian - thank you for the smile.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings