Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does Tcm need more Science Fiction fare?

NipkowDisc

I think that it would be nice if tcm could show the same level of deference to low-budget science fiction B movie fare that they have always shown to the big major studio fare. As a kid I cut my teeth on low-budget sci-fi fare eventually moving on to the major studio film fare with Bogart, Cagney, O'Brien, etc. and of course Hollywood's greatest film icon, John Wayne. But why we can expect to see something like Angels With Dirty Faces or High Sierra in a primetime spot with the obligatory Osborne intro why can't America's science fiction film fare whether low-budget or not be given the same treatment? I say it should. I started out watchin' space monsters, vampires and the like. If I can have learned to get worked up over Cagney and the dead end kids in late 1930s NYC then Osborne can make some effort to get worked up over some of our own late 1950s science fiction films like The Flame Barrier which tcm has yet to show..ever. I feel that our science fiction cinema heritage is just as important as the big stuff like GWTW or The Wizard of Oz. :)

I think that it would be nice if tcm could show the same level of deference to low-budget science fiction B movie fare that they have always shown to the big major studio fare. As a kid I cut my teeth on low-budget sci-fi fare eventually moving on to the major studio film fare with Bogart, Cagney, O'Brien, etc. and of course Hollywood's greatest film icon, John Wayne. But why we can expect to see something like Angels With Dirty Faces or High Sierra in a primetime spot with the obligatory Osborne intro why can't America's science fiction film fare whether low-budget or not be given the same treatment? I say it should. I started out watchin' space monsters, vampires and the like. If I can have learned to get worked up over Cagney and the dead end kids in late 1930s NYC then Osborne can make some effort to get worked up over some of our own late 1950s science fiction films like The Flame Barrier which tcm has yet to show..ever. I feel that our science fiction cinema heritage is just as important as the big stuff like GWTW or The Wizard of Oz. :)

I mean if the small fry like the late 1950s low-budget science fiction fare such as the Arthur C. Gardner-Jules V. Levy flicks go relatively ignored then who is gonna preserve them and their associated media? Case in point, them Gardner-Levy flicks were scored by Gerald Fried, currently the only remaining original Star Trek TV series composer still alive. Fried's score for The Flame Barrier is now gone. Lost due to acetate disintegration. Could the Fried score have been saved if tcm had been paying attention to these forgotten low-budget gems during the past 20 years??? Instead of obsessing over stuff like GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago? I kinda liked Fried's Flame Barrier music especially when Robert Brown is climbing the cave wall to hammer in that wire to juice the alien protoplasm.

I mean if the small fry like the late 1950s low-budget science fiction fare such as the Arthur C. Gardner-Jules V. Levy flicks go relatively ignored then who is gonna preserve them and their associated media? Case in point, them Gardner-Levy flicks were scored by Gerald Fried, currently the only remaining original Star Trek TV series composer still alive. Fried's score for The Flame Barrier is now gone. Lost due to acetate disintegration. Could the Fried score have been saved if tcm had been paying attention to these forgotten low-budget gems during the past 20 years??? Instead of obsessing over stuff like GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago? I kinda liked Fried's Flame Barrier music especially when Robert Brown is climbing the cave wall to hammer in that wire to juice the alien protoplasm.

You're expecting TCM to pay to restore films?    Instead I recommend you write to a Science Fiction association or group that helps restore and save sci-fi films.   Than make a donation to that group.

• Like 1

Would like to see more science fiction on TCM, especially from 40's, 50's and 60's.  They do show some, but do not show them very often.

Maybe show more scifi rather than some of the same movies over and over and over that they do now.

Would like to see more science fiction on TCM, especially from 40's, 50's and 60's.  They do show some, but do not show them very often.

Maybe show more scifi rather than some of the same movies over and over and over that they do now.

I believe the vast majority on this forum agree that TCM should show more movies,  from all genres,  that they have never shown or haven't shown in a long time (say two years or more),  than the same movies over and over again like TCM does now with the set of movies they repeat.

There are no losers if TCM was to do that.

You're expecting TCM to pay to restore films?    Instead I recommend you write to a Science Fiction association or group that helps restore and save sci-fi films.   Than make a donation to that group.

After all the noise over the years from outfits like tcm about film preservation? Not very intuitive, are they? :)

Right! The problem is that would make sense. :)

I believe the vast majority on this forum agree that TCM should show more movies,  from all genres,  that they have never shown or haven't shown in a long time (say two years or more),  than the same movies over and over again like TCM does now with the set of movies they repeat.

There are no losers if TCM was to do that.

They could at least show The Flame Barrier once. If they can show Gardner-Levy flicks The Vampire, Return of Dracula and The Monster That Challenged The World then they should show The Flame Barrier as well.

Scientist Howard Dahlmann got too close to the X-117 earth satellite and becomes part of electric field generating alien protoplasm. :)

332phqa.jpg

They could at least show The Flame Barrier once. If they can show Gardner-Levy flicks The Vampire, Return of Dracula and The Monster That Challenged The World then they should show The Flame Barrier as well.

Scientist Howard Dahlmann got too close to the X-117 earth satellite and becomes part of electric field generating alien protoplasm.

I agree with you.   TCM should set aside a time slot, at least once a month, if not more,  that features 50's 'B' sci-fi films.   TCM could show 4 movies in that time slot.  

I like many of these films and they bring back memories even if many are often silly or camp  (sometimes that camp factor is what makes them fun to watch).

Sci-Fi is definitely not among one of my favorite genres; but I do enjoy the campy sci fi from the 50s and 60s.  The Attack of the 50 Foot Woman was hilarious and I was happy it aired recently.  I agree that it'd be neat if they set aside a timeslot each week to show a couple sci-fi films.  Even if they could do a Friday Night Spotlight of Sci-Fi, that would be a start. 

Here's some Sci•Fi oriented titles perhaps TCM could air some time (if they haven't already).

Illustrated Man, The (1969)

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969-UK)  

Moon Zero Two (1970-UK)  

Colossus:  The Forbin Project (1970)  

Andromeda Strain, The (1971)  

Omega Man, The (1971) 

Quest For Love (1971-UK)  

Earth 2 (1971-Tvm)  

Silent Running (1972) 

Stranger, The (1973-Tvm)

Phase IV (1974)

Boy and His Dog, A (1975)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

End of the World (1977)  

Foes (1977)  ♠ Very obscure but watchable ♠

Day Time Ended, The (1978)

Laserblast (1978)

Lifepod (1978)

Saturn 3 (1980) 

Without Warning (1980) 

Looker (1981)

Outland (1981) 

E.T. (1982)  > Has TCM ever aired 'E.T.'? 

Xtro (1982-UK) 

Last Starfighter, The (1984)

Night of the Comet (1984)

Cocoon (1985)

Evils of the Night (1985)  Neville Brand's last movie.  Low-budget and cheeeeezy! 

Lifeforce (1985)  

-----------------------------------------------

Dark Side of the Moon (1989)  Low-budget, but not bad!  I enjoyed this quite a bit. 

Metamorphosis:  The Alien Factor (1990)

Final Approach (1991)

Invader (1992)  "The Unknown Should Be Left Alone"  ('nuff said).

Prototype X29A (1992)  Not that bad; worth 1 watch anyway.

Biohazard:  The Alien Force (1995)  Made for video.   

The ^above^ movies were all released on VIDMARK Entertainment and I bought them all and watched them. 

Here's some Sci•Fi oriented titles perhaps TCM could air some time (if they haven't already).

Moon Zero Two (1970-UK)  

Omega Man, The (1971) 

Quest For Love (1971-UK)  

Earth 2 (1971-Tvm)  

Silent Running (1972) 

Stranger, The (1973-Tvm)

Phase IV (1974)

End of the World (1977)  

Laserblast (1978)

Lifepod (1978)

Saturn 3 (1980) 

Without Warning (1980) 

Looker (1981)

Outland (1981) 

Xtro (1982-UK) 

Cocoon (1985)

Evils of the Night (1985)  Neville Brand's last movie.  Low-budget and cheeeeezy! 

Lifeforce (1985)  

Dark Side of the Moon (1989)  Low-budget, but not bad!  I enjoyed this quite a bit. 

Final Approach (1991)

The ^above^ movies were all released on VIDMARK Entertainment and I bought them all and watched them. 

Lifeforce" (1985) stars Mathilda May......Google video under her name. :o

Like to see "Aelita - The Queen of Mars" (1924) its Russian sci fi.

aelita.jpg

I want TCM to show 'Battle Beyond the Stars' (1980) starring George Peppard, Robert Vaughn, John Saxon, Richard Thomas, Sam Jaffe and a couple of hot warrior babes.

A rousing space saga based on 'The Magnificent Seven' (1960) which also starred Robert Vaughn. He has the best role (in my opinion) in this Roger Corman classic.

Moon Zero Two (1970-UK)  

Omega Man, The (1971) 

Quest For Love (1971-UK)  

Earth 2 (1971-Tvm)  

Silent Running (1972) 

Stranger, The (1973-Tvm)

Phase IV (1974)

End of the World (1977)  

Laserblast (1978)

Lifepod (1978)

Saturn 3 (1980) 

Without Warning (1980) 

Looker (1981)

Outland (1981) 

Xtro (1982-UK) 

Cocoon (1985)

Lifeforce (1985)  

Final Approach (1991)

The Illustrated Man, The Andromeda Strain, Silent Running, A Boy and His Dog, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Cocoon have all been shown on TCM.  In addition, TCM has shown Alien, 2001, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Marooned, Countdown, Thunderbirds Are Go, The Blob, Them!, The Monolith Monsters, It Came From Outer Space, Village of the Damned, The Thing From Outer Space, Soylent Green, The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, Farenheit 451, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Mysterious Island, Sleeper, From the Earth to the Moon, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Solaris, Forbidden Planet, Mad Max, Zardoz, Twenty Million Years to Earth, Godzilla, Rodan, and almost all of Ray Harryhausen's movies, in addition to many others.  TCM has also shown THX 1138, but that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, and never to happen again.

I want TCM to show 'Battle Beyond the Stars' (1980) starring George Peppard, Robert Vaughn, John Saxon, Richard Thomas, Sam Jaffe and a couple of hot warrior babes.

A rousing space saga based on 'The Magnificent Seven' (1960) which also starred Robert Vaughn. He has the best role (in my opinion) in this Roger Corman classic.

"Battle Beyond The Stars" was quite memorable when it aired back during the late 1980's when the USA channel had USA - Up All Night.  The narrator called it "John Boy in Outer Space".  :lol:

There is an E.T. ripoff called "Mac and Me" (1988) 

mac2.jpg

"Battle Beyond The Stars" was quite memorable when it aired back during the late 1980's when the USA channel had USA - Up All Night.  The narrator called it "John Boy in Outer Space".  :lol:

There is an E.T. ripoff called "Mac and Me" (1988) 

mac2.jpg

Looks like a space monkey.

I'll leave the ones I agree with

Omega Man, The (1971) 

Silent Running (1972) 

Looker (1981)

Outland (1981) 

Cocoon (1985)

Lifeforce (1985)  

And I would heartily recommend TCM show these Science-Fiction films:

INVADERS FROM MARS (1953)

ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS (1964)

THE THING (1982)

ALTERED STATES (1980)

CRACK IN THE WORLD (1965)

THE TIME MACHINE (1960)

BRAINSTORM (1983)

VIDEODROME (1983)

THE LAWNMOWER MAN (1992)

I'll leave the ones I agree with

And I would heartily recommend TCM show these Science-Fiction films:

INVADERS FROM MARS (1953)

ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS (1964)

THE THING (1982)

ALTERED STATES (1980)

CRACK IN THE WORLD (1965)

THE TIME MACHINE (1960)

BRAINSTORM (1983)

VIDEODROME (1983)

THE LAWNMOWER MAN (1992)

Drop THE LAWNMOWER MAN and I'm on board.

I didn't read every entry, but did anyone suggest the Ray Milland "classic"  X THE MAN WITH X-RAY EYES?

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings