Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On another thread is devoted to a single dress, from White Christmas.  I hope we answered her question.  but at the time, I kept thinking about another dress I wanted to mention. 

I didn't feel right posting about other costumes/dresses that took our breath away, so I opened up this thread and encourage all to enjoy or list their favorites as well.

This is one of my favorites, and maybe someday I will duplicate it.   

Eve Marie Saint in North by Northwest  - dress was purchased (!) at Bergdorf Goodman  

floral.jpg

I love this topic! I'm always coveting the clothes in film.  I saw this topic while at work and was waiting until I got home to participate!

Audrey's costumes in Sabrina are gorgeous.  I know Edith Head won the Oscar; but didn't Givenchy design Audrey's wardrobe?

post-28550-0-49741500-1408764464_thumb.jpg

This one is my favorite from the film.

I also love Audrey's costumes from Funny Face

post-28550-0-82714900-1408764530_thumb.jpg

This outfit is so simple, but I love it. 

post-28550-0-14050800-1408764593_thumb.jpg

Of all the outfits shown during Fred Astaire's photo shoot with Audrey, this dress is my favorite.  She is absolutely gorgeous in this color.  Plus red is my favorite color, another reason to love it.

post-28550-0-49741500-1408764464_thumb.jpg

post-28550-0-82714900-1408764530_thumb.jpg

post-28550-0-14050800-1408764593_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

One of my favorite film noirs has great clothes too. 

Gilda

post-28550-0-00474400-1408764767_thumb.jpg

This dress is amazing.  It is sexy but classy at the same time.  With many black and white films, I have to imagine what color the dress is in person if I haven't seen the actual dress in an article about a Hollywood costume exhibit, auction, etc.  I imagine this dress being black.  It has to be black.  I can't imagine it being any other color.

I love this dress too.  I love the sequins and how shiny it is. 

post-28550-0-79971600-1408764907_thumb.jpeg

post-28550-0-00474400-1408764767_thumb.jpg

post-28550-0-79971600-1408764907_thumb.jpeg

I don't want to leave out the men in this thread.

Errol Flynn is probably one of a few men who can wear tights or other period costumes and not look foolish.  The man wears clothes well, this is partially due to his ideal build and height; but I think it's also because he had the charm and obviously the looks (because really, with that face, who's looking at what he's wearing?) and the confidence to carry off short pants and tights.

Anyway... his turn as Don Juan in The Adventures of Don Juan features some of the most beautiful costumes he ever wore:

post-28550-0-92101400-1408765443_thumb.png

I couldn't find a picture of this costume showing Errol from the front.  I love the deep green color and the sequins.

post-28550-0-12205700-1408765607_thumb.jpg

I love this costume too.  A majority of his costumes have long capes and are in vibrant colors.  Who doesn't love a cape?

post-28550-0-63238900-1408765645_thumb.jpg

This costume is cape-less and not a bright color; but it's my favorite.

post-28550-0-92101400-1408765443_thumb.png

post-28550-0-12205700-1408765607_thumb.jpg

post-28550-0-63238900-1408765645_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite subjects--costumes! I see myself coming back to this thread over and over. I can't begin to name all my favorite costumes so I'll just list the ones that come to mind.

Edith Head said she always preferred costuming men (as a fellow costumer I totally understand why) so here's a couple of Danny Kaye that she did in THE COURT JESTER:

courtjester45.jpegcourt-jester-kaye.png

Just watched another Edith Head movie, ALL ABOUT EVE, and though all of Bette's gowns are fantastic, this is my favorite:

sketch.jpg

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is one of my favorites, in terms of costumes, and so is Walter Plunkett. Here's one he pulled from his own files--he designed this one in all seriousness for a movie star back in the 1920s:

sitr-spider+woman.jpg

Gotta show some more from this movie:

10658102_9.jpg?v=8CE70FE1D1F1900

7ed299aaf394a417670730ec67d90e92.jpg

5169460217_df6940fc77_o.png

Oh, so many amazing & glamorous costumes in the "Golden Age"...it just pains me 'tho that many were in black & white films so no telling what the colors were. 

Grace Kelly in "Rear Window" immediately comes to mind for some favorite dresses..the black/white frothy number and her smart green suit dress with white halter top...Edith Head designs.  I also love the icy blue satiny dress Grace Kelly wore for the Oscars (I think also Edith design). 

I also love Jean Louis designs (he designed the Rita Hayworth "Gilda" dress).  

Just thinking about how immaculate & elegant everyone dressed back then...hats, gloves, (eek, girdles & garters). ;)

Oh, so many amazing & glamorous costumes in the "Golden Age"...it just pains me 'tho that many were in black & white films so no telling what the colors were. 

Grace Kelly in "Rear Window" immediately comes to mind for some favorite dresses..the black/white frothy number and her smart green suit dress with white halter top...Edith Head designs.  I also love the icy blue satiny dress Grace Kelly wore for the Oscars (I think also Edith design). 

Just thinking about how immaculate & elegant everyone dressed back then...hats, gloves, (eek, girdles & garters). ;)

I have already used up my LIKEs for the day!  But these responses are great.  Making Grace Kelly a fashion model was such a nice tie in to the story.  Model -- photog (but sports and action)  very clever .. 

Here's beautiful Grace with the Rear Window dresses, which seem to be popular again.

grace-kellys-style-rear-window-8-e135342

grace-kellys-style-rear-window-e13534274

6a00d834eb38c969e20133ed287df9970b-800wi

• Like 1

Some Like it Hot

Orry Kelly had his work cut out for himself.  Not only hand stitching MM into her "is it really covering her or not?"  dresses, but also getting Curtis and Lemmon into a feminine mystique as well!   

5e778647a7e73ee80de817326c8b358b.jpg

I always thought this dress was quite provacative for a film made in the 50s.  When she and Tony Curtis are in the yacht, I think the dress looks even more scandalous with the lighting and black and white film.  It's interesting that the dress is silver.  For some reason, I was picturing it to be gold.

I love how people dressed back then.  Even going to the grocery store warranted a nice coat, heels, hat, matching gloves, matching purse.  No mismatched earrings and necklace.  I don't know if I could even keep up this style and so many layers of clothes.  For me, if the dress requires a slip or nylons, I'm out.  I cannot stand either.  I wouldn't be able to be on board with the girdle or garters either.  I would also be wearing a lot of flats because I have no gracefulness wearing heels.  During summer, I live in my TOMS and TEVA-type sandals.  During fall and winter, it's all about my flat boots and Converse.  Since it's summer, I'm admanatly against wearing socks right now; so I defintely wouldn't make it fashionwise in the 30s/40s.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I admire how classy and put together everyone looks; I doubt I'd have the patience or desire to do the same myself. 

I love how people dressed back then.  Even going to the grocery store warranted a nice coat, heels, hat, matching gloves, matching purse.  No mismatched earrings and necklace.  I don't know if I could even keep up this style and so many layers of clothes.  For me, if the dress requires a slip or nylons, I'm out.  I cannot stand either.  I wouldn't be able to be on board with the girdle or garters either.  I would also be wearing a lot of flats because I have no gracefulness wearing heels.  During summer, I live in my TOMS and TEVA-type sandals.  During fall and winter, it's all about my flat boots and Converse.  Since it's summer, I'm admanatly against wearing socks right now; so I defintely wouldn't make it fashionwise in the 30s/40s.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I admire how classy and put together everyone looks; I doubt I'd have the patience or desire to do the same myself. 

Hmmmm....so, no garter belts and high heels ya say, huh Speedy?!

(...well...there goes MY fantasy here, anyway!!!) LOL

;)

Hmmmm....so, no garter belts and high heels ya say, huh Speedy?!

(...well...there goes MY fantasy here, anyway!!!) LOL

;)

Lol Dargo. So I guess our friend won't be entering any Betty Page lookalike/dressalike contest.

Jean Harlow during the 1930's

jean-harlow-black-dress.jpg

Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire (guy in thermal space blanket don't count )

mltv.jpg

Hamradio, I'm not sure who that is in the top pics, but it isn't Jean Harlow. Virginia Bruce maybe?

Lol Dargo. So I guess our friend won't be entering any Betty Page lookalike/dreamlike contest.

Haha.  I would definitely not win a Bettie Page lookalike contest.  We do not share the same... uh... assets?

Sorry to ruin your fantasy image of me Dargo!

One of my favorite subjects--costumes! I see myself coming back to this thread over and over. I can't begin to name all my favorite costumes so I'll just list the ones that come to mind.

Edith Head said she always preferred costuming men (as a fellow costumer I totally understand why) so here's a couple of Danny Kaye that she did in THE COURT JESTER:

courtjester45.jpegcourt-jester-kaye.png

Just watched another Edith Head movie, ALL ABOUT EVE, and though all of Bette's gowns are fantastic, this is my favorite:

sketch.jpg

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is one of my favorites, in terms of costumes, and so is Walter Plunkett. Here's one he pulled from his own files--he designed this one in all seriousness for a movie star back in the 1920s:

sitr-spider+woman.jpg

Gotta show some more from this movie:

10658102_9.jpg?v=8CE70FE1D1F1900

7ed299aaf394a417670730ec67d90e92.jpg

5169460217_df6940fc77_o.png

I think that the sketch of that particular gown Edith Head designed for Davis.in ALL ABOUT EVE was finished accidentally. During the fitting, the top portion was made too big, and slipped off her shoulders. Head decided to adjust it that way, quickly stitching it in place.

I really loved the costumes in An American in Paris

post-28550-0-66431900-1408830126_thumb.jpg

I love Gene Kelly's red coat and Leslie Caron's dress is my favorite of all the costumes they were during the ballet.

post-28550-0-16664100-1408830439_thumb.jpg

I also really love this scene.  I don't think anyone but Gene Kelly could have carried off that beige on beige outfit. 

I also really love the scene where they're in silhouette and Gene Kelly is holding Leslie Caron and she has that blue dress with the rag-like skirt.  I couldn't find a good picture of it.

post-28550-0-66431900-1408830126_thumb.jpg

post-28550-0-16664100-1408830439_thumb.jpg