Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I didn't say I couldn't suspend my disbelief, I said I kept being jarred out of the film. That doesn't mean I turn the movie off. Many of my favorite movies have wildly inaccurate costumes, but usually it takes a few viewings to "get used to" the wild inaccuracies. I know, I'm what Katherine Hepburn called "an intellectual snob", but I was raised by a professional costumer. I can't help it. If I was raised by a professional lighting designer I'd be distracted by bad lighting. If I was raised by a horse trainer I'd be mad at bad horse riding. Etc, etc, etc. :)

Going back to favorites, love this little number from BALL OF FIRE (huge pic for some reason, sorry):

I LIKE BIG PICS and I CANNOT LIE!!  

(I think the song goes something like that)

You notice costumes, James notices guitar music, I focus on sound in general for that is what my son works on in post.  Sound designs are very layered for the right effect.  

I loved the pics from The Egyptian as well, though for accuracy their clothing would be too sheer for Legion of Decency.  :rolleyes: 

Cecil B DeMille was a showman, not a historian.  But he tried to bring us ancient Egypt with The Ten Commandments.  

I watch Ann Baxter chewing up the scenery with her Betty Page hair and custom Princess frocks, it's just so wonderfully 50s sword and sandal about it..

526x297-WKw.jpg

TenCommandments_07.jpg

PDVD_230a.jpg

I have never seen better body armor on men until.....

Stay tuned.

Can I just say, in the case of Ancient Egypt, I am so GLAD the costumes are inaccurate :)

Speaking of incredibly sexy male costumes:

muchado-denzel2.jpeg

absolutely loved the costuming in Much Ado About Nothing.    The women were from another time and era, and, well, it's Shakespeare and I almost always cut slack for that playwright.  

muchado-1343849914.jpgado1.jpg

Cecil B DeMille was a showman, not a historian.  But he tried to bring us ancient Egypt with The Ten Commandments.  

I watch Ann Baxter chewing up the scenery with her Betty Page hair and custom Princess frocks, it's just so wonderfully 50s sword and sandal about it..

TenCommandments_07.jpg

I have never seen better body armor on men until.....

Stay tuned.

I haven't seen Ten Commandments (bible movies aren't really my thing); but wow Anne Baxter looks gorgeous.  I would have never known that this was the same woman from All About Eve where she has that rather unflattering 1950s hairstyle.  What a beautiful costume too! Maybe I'll just have to watch this film for the costumes.

• Like 2

One of the reasons I love musicals (actually, I really love the ones that feature dancing the most... the all singing ones are hit and miss for me), is that they usually feature amazing costumes in vibrant bright colors (okay, at least the Technicolor ones do).  The costumes and colors combined with the dancing and music really add to the over all experience of watching a musical film.

Anyway, the musical There's No Business Like Show Business, while not the greatest musical I've ever seen, features a ton of great costumes and music. 

Case in point, the finale number:

TNBLSB03.jpg

While Marilyn's dress is "so Marilyn" with its over the top glamour, including the sequins and large ruffle on the side; I absolutely love Mitzi Gaynor's red strapless gown.  The color is gorgeous and fits her amazing figure perfectly.  Every time I see this film, I'm always envious of how Gaynor looks in her costumes.  **Sigh** much work is needed on my part to even have a shot at fitting a gown like that as beautifully as she does.

Ethel Merman's dress doesn't do much for me, but I love that she is wearing a vibrant white ball gown amongst the two tight fitting dresses sported by Gaynor and Monroe.  The white really makes her standout, which I suppose is the whole point as Merman is the star of this film.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I love musicals (actually, I really love the ones that feature dancing the most... the all singing ones are hit and miss for me), is that they usually feature amazing costumes in vibrant bright colors (okay, at least the Technicolor ones do).  The costumes and colors combined with the dancing and music really add to the over all experience of watching a musical film.

Anyway, the musical There's No Business Like Show Business, while not the greatest musical I've ever seen, features a ton of great costumes and music. 

Case in point, the finale number:

I absolutely love Mitzi Gaynor's red strapless gown.  The color is gorgeous and fits her amazing figure perfectly.  Every time I see this film, I'm always envious of how Gaynor looks in her costumes.  **Sigh** much work is needed on my part to even have a shot at fitting a gown like that as beautifully as she does.

Ethel Merman's dress doesn't do much for me, but I love that she is wearing a vibrant white ball gown amongst the two tight fitting dresses sported by Gaynor and Monroe.  The white really makes her standout, which I suppose is the whole point as Merman is the star of this film.

Mitzi does do something special for the costumes, Dancer's sleekness 

Here some shots of Mitzi in one of my favorites, Les Girls, 

Les_Girls_3.jpg

I gotta tell ya, I searched high and low for a pic of the back of these costumes, alas couldn't find it.  

15953d7f643460516d86216afec04e11.jpg

How to Marry a Millionaire 

I can't begin to tell you how disillusioned I felt when I first learn (at age 6) that I couldn't just grow up and just find a job as a model in a store. 

Marilyn_Monroe,_Betty_Grable_and_Lauren_

orig-21019132.jpg

how-to-marry-a-millionaire-20.jpg

Always liked Bacall's wedding dress.

Bacall's wedding dress is gorgeous.  I loved Monroe's costumes the most-- especially the pink dress with the one strap that you posted the picture of.  Bacall's dresses are gorgeous and fit her great figure perfectly.  I also love Marilyn's cat-eye glasses.  Grable's costumes were fun too--but I prefer the sleekness of Monroe and Bacall's costumes over Grable's gowns with the wide skirt.  Although, I thought that Grable totally rocked the blue and pink outfit she models for "the gas pump jockey."  She really did have great legs. 

Sigh... now I need Gaynor's figure with Grable's legs.  If only it were possible to attain Bacall's height, I'd be in business.  Lol!

• Like 1

I haven't seen Ten Commandments (bible movies aren't really my thing); but wow Anne Baxter looks gorgeous.  I would have never known that this was the same woman from All About Eve where she has that rather unflattering 1950s hairstyle.  What a beautiful costume too! Maybe I'll just have to watch this film for the costumes.

Just watching it for the costumes is totally worth it, my friend. (The great cast helps too.)

Another great movie is IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (not my opinion--this is a fact). Love Claudette's Art Deco number she wears throughout most of the film:

It%2BHappened%2BOne%2BNight-21.jpg

And can I just say I long for those days when men wore three piece suits all the time :)

And I love her bias cut wedding dress:

09-It-Happened-One-Night-1934.jpg

Well, speaking of Claudette, she gets to parade around in lovely pre-war clothes in PALM BEACH STORY:

The_Palm_Beach_Story_21.jpg

the-palm-beach-story-claudette-everett.j

(Mostly purchased by Rudy Vallie)

palm-beach-story-claudette-colbert-cloth

...but my favorite costume of hers is this rigged one:

Picture+14.png

• Like 1

Bacall's wedding dress is gorgeous.  I loved Monroe's costumes the most-- especially the pink dress with the one strap that you posted the picture of.  Bacall's dresses are gorgeous and fit her great figure perfectly.  I also love Marilyn's cat-eye glasses.  Grable's costumes were fun too--but I prefer the sleekness of Monroe and Bacall's costumes over Grable's gowns with the wide skirt.  Although, I thought that Grable totally rocked the blue and pink outfit she models for "the gas pump jockey."  She really did have great legs. 

Sigh... now I need Gaynor's figure with Grable's legs.  If only it were possible to attain Bacall's height, I'd be in business.  Lol!

If I remember correctly, I read that Travilla had a difficult time designing for the three stars of HTMAM. It seems that they wanted to wear tight dresses only, and he didn't want it to seem that he was unaware of the current look of wide skirts with petticoats. He was able to convince Grable,.and Bacall also wore some, although not so wide (no petticoats?), but Monroe was intransigent on this issue. Anyways, some 60 years on, they look great in their outfits, the epitome of 50s fashions.

Just watching it for the costumes is totally worth it, my friend. (The great cast helps too.)

Another great movie is IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (not my opinion--this is a fact). Love Claudette's Art Deco number she wears throughout most of the film:

It%2BHappened%2BOne%2BNight-21.jpg

And can I just say I long for those days when men wore three piece suits all the time :)

And I love her bias cut wedding dress:

Well, speaking of Claudette, she gets to parade around in lovely pre-war clothes in PALM BEACH STORY:

(Mostly purchased by Rudy Vallie)

...but my favorite costume of hers is this rigged one:

Picture+14.png

I also loved her traveling suit in It Happened One Night.  In regard to The Palm Beach Story, I would never be able to get men's pajamas and a robe or towel or whatever it was (I forgot what her "skirt" part was made from) to look that fashionable. 

If I remember correctly, I read that Travilla had a difficult time designing for the three stars of HTMAM. It seems that they wanted to wear tight dresses only, and he didn't want it to seem that he was unaware of the current look of wide skirts with petticoats. He was able to convince Grable,.and Bacall also wore some, although not so wide (no petticoats?), but Monroe was intransigent on this issue. Anyways, some 60 years on, they look great in their outfits, the epitome of 50s fashions.

Travilla also designed Errol Flynn's costumes in The Adventures of Don Juan.  Apparently Flynn had personally requested him to make his costumes.  He and Viveca Lindfors have the most gorgeous costumes in the whole film.  Flynn apparently went through hundreds of pairs of his custom made tights.  He also apparently insisted on having the shorter, tighter tunics and such for his character.  I say kudos to Flynn for standing by his convictions ;-)

I always wondered and hopefully this doesn't sound crass, because I'm not trying to... in films like The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Adventures of Don Juan, and any other film where the male cast wear tights or at least very tight, thin fabric pants... is there some type of padding, extra fabric, something to conceal the men's...extra appendages so to speak?

Travilla also designed Errol Flynn's costumes in The Adventures of Don Juan.  Apparently Flynn had personally requested him to make his costumes.  He and Viveca Lindfors have the most gorgeous costumes in the whole film.  Flynn apparently went through hundreds of pairs of his custom made tights.  He also apparently insisted on having the shorter, tighter tunics and such for his character.  I say kudos to Flynn for standing by his convictions ;-)

I always wondered and hopefully this doesn't sound crass, because I'm not trying to... in films like The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Adventures of Don Juan, and any other film where the male cast wear tights or at least very tight, thin fabric pants... is there some type of padding, extra fabric, something to conceal the men's...extra appendages so to speak?

I assume a jock strap.

• Like 1

The Adventures of Robin Hood 

The-Adventures-of-Robin-Hood-old-robin-h

robin+hood+04.jpg

It seems Prince John was a inspiration for Game of Thrones.  hehe.

errolflynnasrobinhood.jpg

Notice the Men of Sherwood adopt the green-man camouflage like Robin.  More green as the Merry men join forces.  

Robin%20Hood%20pic%203.jpg

Peek a boo moment with Robin's costume (maybe Jame's observation was the correct one)- Flynn's tunic has another long tunic covering his leggings. 

Maid Marion coming. 

One more trip back (17th Century) before looking forward.

Forever Amber.

forever-amber.jpg

wilde-amber.jpg

Amber2.jpg

sanders-amber.jpg

The Man in the Iron Mask

recently, with Leo and gang..

62.jpg

Then, an earlier version with costuming that was amazing.. A TV movie version, no less.

8713_5.jpg

4567484_l4.jpg

FOREVER.AMBER was budgeted as one of the most expensive films made by 20th Century Fox, with sumptuous sets and costumes, in its effort to bring the salacious best selling book to the screen. The designer (Rene Hubert?) was delighted by the assignment and started sketching. He was disappointed when Peggy Cummins was selected, as her figure was more girlish than that of the voluptuous tramp of the novel. So Hubert had to redo his designs. After the filming was suspended, the director, John M. Sahl,and the star were replaced; one of the main problems being the inexperienced Cummins unable to be convincing as a mature Amber. After several months, with a script rewrite, the filming resumed with a new director and star, Otto Preminger and Linda Darnell, respectively (there were other cast changes due to the delay running up against other commitments). Rene Hubert went back to his original designs, as Darnell had the type of full figured body the part called for (although she was under studio orders to maintain a strict diet). In the end, the film got mixed reviews, but was a huge.grosser. The costumes were singled out for praise, but unfortunately, there was no Oscar category for that in 1947; it was initiated the following year, perhaps due to this film.

• Like 1

Clothes that make the woman.

A Letter to Three Wives (1949), a longtime favorite uses evening dresses to define a character's background the way a writer uses vocabulary to define a character level of education.

First, the evolution of sophistication of Deborah Bishop (Jeanne Crain) - from farm girl to New York Lady of the house. 

lettertothreewives-dress1.jpegLetterToThreeWives3.jpg

DESIGNING WOMAN (1957)

I love Lauren Bacall's red dress.  Love the color and the cut. 80d2d15b201d2ef628ac0be25e40bc5c.jpg

Granted, in a film where a character is a fashion designer, one would expect gorgeous clothes. 

Some more of my favorites:

Lauren+Bacall+++Designing+Woman+++green.

Bacall's green dress with the high neckline and long sleeves.

Lauren+Bacall+++Designing+Woman+++purple

I know *I* couldn't carry off the huge sleeves; but Bacall can.  I love the color of the skirt and the overall silhouette. 

• Like 1