Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Edith Head's sense of humor comes out in WHAT A WAY TO GO:

tumblr_mdnzm0TdqO1qa70eyo1_r1_500.jpg

Especially in this pink chincilla coat and wig (Gene Kelly's name was Pinkie so they only wore pink). Here's another look:

tumblr_mbrxb7pNHK1qfg786o1_500.jpg

Paul Newman was an artist who designed crazy modern art-inspired clothes for her:

waytogo-166237.jpgwhat-a-way-to-go3.png

what+a+way+to+go+1964+-+paris-+paint+dre

Robert Mitchum's millions inspired many exaggerations of 1960s fashions:07f6af47d78bd450eb3f020d37659b96.jpgWWTG02.JPG5c11329468ba82edea8c8d3703cf0266.jpgwhatawaytogo2.jpg

..............just to name a few :)

• Like 2

Edith Head's sense of humor comes out in WHAT A WAY TO GO:

Especially in this pink chincilla coat and wig (Gene Kelly's name was Pinkie so they only wore pink). Here's another look:

Paul Newman was an artist who designed crazy modern art-inspired clothes for her:Robert Mitchum's millions inspired many exaggerations of 1960s fashions:5c11329468ba82edea8c8d3703cf0266.jpgwhatawaytogo2.jpg

..............just to name a few :)

I loved that movie too!  

I wish we could just keep up the '60s couture ,  Here's WOMAN TIMES SEVEN :

Woman+Times+Seven+-+1967+-+Sete+vezes+mu

vlcsnap2011022816h59m05.1192.jpg

11114767_gal.jpg

• 10 months later...

Who says Oleg Cassini can't dress a woman like a trollop?  Gene Tierney's looking like someone spent a bit money to look cheap in Where the Sidewalk Ends.  That's the postwar 40s for you.

4570354_l2.jpg

While the extra adornments on the shoulder and the design on the bodice look a little cheap, I think it's really the hairstyle that cheapens up the whole look.  If she'd had her Leave Her to Heaven hair, it might class the dress up a bit.

• Like 1

Who says Oleg Cassini can't dress a woman like a trollop?  Gene Tierney's looking like someone spent a bit money to look cheap in Where the Sidewalk Ends.  That's the postwar 40s for you.

4570354_l2.jpg

What's the deal with the quilted? /braided?/ interlaced bodice thing?  Looks like one of those pies with lattice pastry on top.

PhotoDraw3637.jpg

• Like 1

What's the deal with the quilted? /braided?/ interlaced bodice thing?  Looks like one of those pies with lattice pastry on top.

PhotoDraw3637.jpg

LOL

I was thinking Belgian waffles actually MissW, but your description is just as good. 

• Like 1

LOL

I was thinking Belgian waffles actually MissW, but your description is just as good. 

Right, Dargs, looks like waffles, too.

Lovely though Miss Tierney was, I don't think the costume designers needed to try and make her look like a dessert.

Her pose doesn't help either.  Gene's role in Sidewalk is to be her moving up from the lower classes. 

Yes.  I agree.  She looks like she's about to proposition the man taking notes for a night of "fun" at her place. 

• Like 2

Yes.  I agree.  She looks like she's about to proposition the man taking notes for a night of "fun" at her place. 

Where the Sidewalk Ends is a much better film than I expected when I first saw it.  Gene is a b-story line here, and her character intro throws the viewer off, which makes it a good crime drama.

• Like 1

"I Learned it From the Movies" :   Chapter 5: How to look like you're propositioning  a man. Useful for playing a prostitute, (but not a call girl,that's another echelon), a barfly, or any pre-code female in financial difficulties:

Stand with your weight on one leg, turn your foot on the other leg up a little, and - this is very important- place one hand on your hip. Assume a nonchalant stare, and direct towards man.

• Like 3

Where the Sidewalk Ends is a much better film than I expected when I first saw it.  Gene is a b-story line here, and her character intro throws the viewer off, which makes it a good crime drama.

I really liked that film too.  I watched it on the night last year when TCM was airing Laura as a premiere.  They paired it up with Where the Sidewalk Ends and another Gene Tierney/Dana Andrews collaboration.  Laura and 'Sidewalk' were the first two Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews movies I had ever seen.  I really liked the two of them as a pair and I've been enjoying Tierney in her other films.  I haven't watched a film just featuring Andrews since the two that I've mentioned, but I'd like to.

• Like 1

The Funny Girl pics are very good.  Thanks for sharing.  Fanny Brice has never looked lovelier. 

This afternoon, I have been dealing with The Hours (2002), which I believe is aptly named.  It seems to be much longer than it actually is.  One thing it does well, though, is define the three generations of women involved at three different eras of the 20th Century-

1920's pd_the_hours_nt_120206_wb.jpg

1951  Short-Cuts_2830485c.jpg

2002  hqdefault.jpg

remember how badly we dressed in the late 1990's ?  Ugh.

• Like 1

4570354_l2.jpg

Actually, that outfit that Tierney is wearing in WTSE, as well as that short coif, is very haute 1950. I agree that Gene's pageboy hairstyle she wore throughout the early/mid 1940s may be more becoming, but short hairstyles, even severely so, were the look by the late 40s, and throughout the 50s. She looks chic and classy for that year, despite her lower class origins, she plays a fashion model. Nothing cheap was denoted to audiences of the time.

• Like 1

Now, Jean Arthur's apron I like! 

I like everything about Jean in this picture  (and the film is a fairly unseen gem).    Jean wasn't a top notch beauty like another Gene (Tierney),   but how those working on her films dressed her, did her make-up and hair pushed her to another level.   

With Gene,  I sometimes get the feeling when watching one of her 50s films that they were trying to tone down her natural beauty by giving her a less than appealing hairdo or wardrobe.