Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And then of course for a while back in the '80s and early-'90s, The Mullet was all the rage for the hip young mister...

mullet1.jpg+w=196&h=300.jpg

(...well, unless of course you happen to play in the NHL, and then evidently its never gone out of style!) ;)

• Like 1

The return of the dress on another star-

I first saw it on Claudette Colbert in Palm Beach Story:

thepalmbeachstory_zpsba1d4f4d.png

Then I discovered it in a fashion test shot on a Jane Wyman (check out the lace gloves):

Jane-Wyman.jpg-6454.jpg

And I agree with you about the less than glamorous way Gene was treated in the fifties.  I think a youth movement was taking over by then.  

• Like 1

With Gene,  I sometimes get the feeling when watching one of her 50s films that they were trying to tone down her natural beauty by giving her a less than appealing hairdo or wardrobe.

Actually, in the 50s (or the first half, since she made no films.in the second half), she looked good in general. In films like THE MATING SEASON and ON THE RIVIERA, she looks pretty much like her heyday in the 40s. In fact, the only film where I thought she did not look very attractive was in BLACK WIDOW, where her hair did not really become her.

• Like 1

First of the wives is Deborah (Jeanne Crain), a former farm girl placed in a position of society lady of leisure, overnight, by marrying Brad Bishop (Jeffrey Lynn).  She meets Brad's childhood friends, middle class (but rising in stature) George and Rita Phipps, played by high school teacher Kirk Douglas and radio story writer Ann Sothern.  Her dress more than suggests her hayseed background.

LetterToThreeWives2.jpg

But that was a couple years ago.  Deborah Bishop cleans up good.

28GUIDE2-master675.jpg

Or, as George Phipps would gently correct, she cleans up well..   ;)  

• Like 3

Rita Phipps grew up in the Hudson River town that's the setting for Letter for Three Wives. She has a very progressive marriage with George, and a hopeful chance at the big time writing radio serials (days before television). 

a-letter-to-three-wives-ann-sothern-kirk

She manages her home with the help of Sadie Dugan (Thelma Ritter) who is very aware of Rita's background and doesn't care for snobs like the one Rita has to entertain.

image157.jpg

ALetter23Wives03.jpg

Poor Rita, lovely, smart, creative, and would-be snob.  

• Like 3

Ah, Linda Darnell. As Lora Mae Finney,  she could play it lowbrow:

tumblr_nm2d7n6V2X1qfrhhpo1_500.gif

0e7d1d8006fd0e41d91b1f51901c2c3a.jpg

coy and coquettish. 

aletter4.jpg

Charming when she wants what she wants, for instance, Porter Hollingsway (Paul Douglas)

a-letter-to-three-wives-paul-douglas-lin

Porter claims she has no class, but she sure is beautiful: 

• Like 3

Going back to the 60s couture, here's a lovely number Maureen O'Hara shows up wearing in THE PARENT TRAP when she crashes Brian Keith's wedding:

1427993185The-Parent-Trap-the-parent-tra

I get a kick out of the variety of secretary dresses in HOW TO SUCCEED...

MV5BMjIxMTgwOTQyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA1

And I love everything Audrey wears in CHARADE

charade-hepburn-red-coat.jpg?w=566&h=566

• Like 1

Maureen O'Hara's "makeover" in PARENT TRAP reminds me of other "makeover" movies. Sometimes the costumes are believable and sometimes they're not ("gee, she combed her hair--big deal"). Here's a few of the successful ones (let me apologize right now if I ever repeat anything, since I haven't posted in this particular topic for a long time):

LADY FOR A DAY - Apple Annie's bag lady costume is so convincing that her glamorous makeover is a genuine shock:

apple-annie_custom-c15c375d58ab6362755b4

lfad-2women_1.jpg

NOW, VOYAGER - losing weight is only part of Bette's transformation:

now+voyager.png

GYPSY - Hard to hide Natalie Wood's beauty, so it's more about her finally dressing like a girl:

4f7a07c5383c3.preview-620.jpg

pretty-girl.jpg

SABRINA - Audrey Hepburn's transformation is apparent in both this movie and FUNNY FACE

sabrina-audrey-hepburn.jpg

• Like 1

My favorite "makeover" movie is ...

MY FAIR LADY - making Audrey a guttersnipe isn't easy, but I love what they did, and in one of my favorite eras too:

1374614762_audrey-hepburn-lg.jpg

77119-004-2A8330EC.jpg

...this purple dress is a brilliant "in between"-- she's been cleaned up, but she's not a lady yet

946772_1328643014532_full.jpg

...then these are the "lady" dresses:

c6eb6f80a98e2fa965015dadbf7412ae.jpg

audrey-in-my-fair-lady-audrey-hepburn-11My-Fair-Lady-08.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, lots of great makeover pictures.  I especially like Audrey Hepburn's "after" dresses from My Fair Lady and Sabrina.

Here are some makeover pictures from Gigi.

Leslie Caron goes from this:

gigidress3_zps087rem2c.jpg

to this:

gigidress4_zpsvxqm7af4.jpg

Here are more "after" pictures:

59280e4f-ac9a-4e40-9751-61da29cb2fe3_zps

632a26e6-3840-4d9b-b362-ba74b45652cb_zps

97bd16eb-fa6f-4888-95ab-182417f01d29_zps

d65e1ac9-8669-486c-acb4-fcbdcc239197_zps

• Like 3

The dress Audrey Hepburn wears to the party in Sabrina is my favorite.    Just like the guest at the party the first time I saw that scene I was just overwhelmed with her overall look and the beauty of everything in that look; e.g. the dress, her smile, the hairdo,  etc...    pitch perfect class (which was what they were going for, for this girl that grew up and lived above a garage).

• Like 2

The dress Audrey Hepburn wears to the party in Sabrina is my favorite.    Just like the guest at the party the first time I saw that scene I was just overwhelmed with her overall look and the beauty of everything in that look; e.g. the dress, her smile, the hairdo,  etc...    pitch perfect class (which was what they were going for, for this girl that grew up and lived above a garage).

Yes! 

Audrey-Sabrina-Givenchy.jpg

Robby Benson in "Mom Jeans" in ODE TO BILLY JOE, which was set in Mississippi in the 1950s:

ode-to-billy-joe-2.jpg?w=584

Robby Benson did not wear Daisy Dukes in the movie.

8f9617a8eddaf3e6fc5e3796968ec13a.jpg

I am absolutely shocked at this pics, and I am afraid I would laugh watching Robbie Benson in Ode to Billie Joe. 

Marlene Dietrich said that she never looked more beautiful than she did in The Devil Is a Woman. The opening carnival scenes, which have almost no dialogue, are amazing. Ms. Dietrich's costumes were by Travis Banton.

tumblr_l9qmt4Wbtk1qzzxybo1_500.png

• Like 3