Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Costume Design: Period and Timeless

Here's one of my favorite movie dresses -- the "Maggie the Cat" dress.  So simple, yet so chic.

I loved Elizabeth Taylor's "slip outfit" that she wears while I believe putting on the white dress (or maybe she's taking the white dress off?). 

MV5BMTUyNDY0NDg4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAy

I'm not a big "slip person," but I must say that Elizabeth Taylor is really rocking this "outfit."  She definitely fills out the top much better than I ever do in a slip. 

• Like 2

I loved Elizabeth Taylor's "slip outfit" that she wears while I believe putting on the white dress (or maybe she's taking the white dress off?). 

MV5BMTUyNDY0NDg4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAy

I'm not a big "slip person," but I must say that Elizabeth Taylor is really rocking this "outfit."  She definitely fills out the top much better than I ever do in a slip. 

Sometimes, repeating the post makes the pic show up.  Great slip. they never fit that well  on me

Sometimes, repeating the post makes the pic show up.  Great slip. they never fit that well  on me

Me neither.  They always seem to be a bit too long (I'm only 5'2) and a bit baggy in the front. 

While it probably wouldn't have been appropriate in the 1950s, Elizabeth totally could have worn this as a dress! She'd be wearing a lot more than some people do these days. 

• Like 1

Me neither.  They always seem to be a bit too long (I'm only 5'2) and a bit baggy in the front. 

While it probably wouldn't have been appropriate in the 1950s, Elizabeth totally could have worn this as a dress! She'd be wearing a lot more than some people do these days.

Well, Elizabeth Taylor was reputedly quite short. While her official height was given as 5'3" (I think), I've read where she was shorter than that.
  • Like 1

Well, Elizabeth Taylor was reputedly quite short. While her official height was given as 5'3" (I think), I've read where she was shorter than that.

Well, to paraphrase Mae West:  What say we forget about the 5 feet and talk about the 3 inche...errrrr...ummmm...

(...sorry...I guess this sort'a thing just doesn't work in reverse, does it...never mind)

;)

• Like 2

One of my favorite movies was on the other day-- 12 ANGRY MEN. I love the costuming, which is so character appropriate it's invisible--who's wearing matching suits, who's wearing ties, etc. To name a few examples:

• -Henry Fonda, Our Hero, is in a light suit (could be white, not sure in b&w), humble and wrinkled, nothing fancy
  • -Martin Balsam, the basketball coach, has a polo shirt on with a tie over it (probably doesn't own a button up shirt)
  • -Juror #6, the Working Man has a short sleeve shirt on with no tie at all
  • -the Old Man is wearing a humble old fashioned suit jacket and mismatching pants
  • -Jack Warden, the joking salesman, is wearing a very loud striped jacket, straw hat with a crazy striped band, and colored shirt with short sleeves
  • -Juror #11, the European immigrant, is wearing suspenders
  • -Juror #12, the ad exec, is wearing a suit on the cutting edge of fashion--it's the late 50s and he's the only one in that extremely narrow tie that would be all over the place in a few years

12angry.jpeg

12_angry_men_1301.jpg

• Like 3

If I remember correctly, she also wears a slip, and again looks quite sexy in it, in BUTTERFIELD 8. I think its the first scene, where she scrawls "No sale" on the mirror in lipstick, and leaves with a mink coat over the slip.

• Like 3

Rafaela Ottiano (left) is one of my favorite character actors. She's usually all buttoned up. It's nice to see that in her role as Russian Rita in She Done Him Wrong, Edith Head (who is uncredited) has given her costumes that show her figure (and her hair, which becomes an important prop in the story).

3301141-mae-west-and-rafaela-ottiano-sta

Holden--I know (and love) the Scooby gang, but what series is that second photo from?  Not one of those young 'uns looks familiar to me.  Inquiring minds and all. :)

The second photo (re-posted below) is from ROSWELL, one of my favorite shows from the the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Katherine Heigl later became known for her role on GREY'S ANATOMY, but she'll always be Isabel Evans to me. 

Roswell-Cast-1999-2002-Katherine-Shiri-J

The first photo was from BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER.

• Like 1

I love Jean Hagen's costumes in Singin' in the Rain

Me too!!

sitr2.png

furglamor-singing-in-the-rain-16.jpg

SITR_LinaLamont_SS.jpg

But one of my favorite costumes in the whole film is Olga Mara's at the beginning, which Walter Plunkett designed for real in the 1920s in all seriousness!

sitr-spider-woman.jpg

Sorry, I just did this show, so I'm a little obsessed at the moment :)

• Like 2

Me too!!

Sorry, I just did this show, so I'm a little obsessed at the moment :)

Lol me too.  I love her ridiculous glasses in that last photo.  To me, they perfectly capture how clueless Lena is.  I don't know why the glasses convey "cluelessness", but they do. 

I just finished watching An American in Paris, (I'm almost at the end of On the Town as I'm typing this) and I was tempted to post all of Leslie Caron's ballet costumes that I loved from the big ballet number... and of course, Gene Kelly's fabulous flesh colored bodysuit. 

Speaking of On the Town, while Ann Miller and Vera-Ellen's dresses for the main action of the film were nice, I'm partial to Betty Garrett's fabulous yellow ensemble:

24.png

• Like 1

I just finished watching An American in Paris, (I'm almost at the end of On the Town as I'm typing this) and I was tempted to post all of Leslie Caron's ballet costumes that I loved from the big ballet number... and of course, Gene Kelly's fabulous flesh colored bodysuit. 

This one's probably my favorite

MV5BMjA4Njc2NjYxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTU2

• Like 1

Lol me too.  I love her ridiculous glasses in that last photo.  To me, they perfectly capture how clueless Lena is.  I don't know why the glasses convey "cluelessness", but they do. 

Speaking of On the Town, while Ann Miller and Vera-Ellen's dresses for the main action of the film were nice, I'm partial to Betty Garrett's fabulous yellow ensemble:

(I've mentioned this before, please bear with me)

Vera-Ellen and Rosemary Clooney make the costuming in White Christmas so special.  Two blondes who couldn't really be lovelier, yet, have such distinctly different appearances.  Yeah, they played sisters of two different dads, lol.  

God bless Edith Head:

a85fcae391bb158bc76dfd0c8fe495d4.jpg

enhanced-buzz-24979-1386607573-30.jpg

rosemary-clooney-you-done-me-wrong-dress

white-christmas-sisters.jpg

• Like 1

....Speaking of On the Town, while Ann Miller and Vera-Ellen's dresses for the main action of the film were nice, I'm partial to Betty Garrett's fabulous yellow ensemble:

24.png

Seein' as how Speedy has brought Ann Miller into this discussion, this reminds me of somethin' I've been meaning to ask in this thread since its inception...

Okay, why is it that women don't accessorize with those beautiful hand fans anymore and like Ann here did back in the day?...

(...okay okay, I admit it...I really don't give a hang about women's hand fans...this old guy here just wanted to see Ann shake her hot bod around in that skimpy little number like this one more time, that's all...and hey, besides, it IS  the dog days of summer right now, ain't it?!)

LOL

• Like 1

So Dargo, the fans used by the Haine sisters in White Christmas are too big?

Hmmm.  

white-christmas-sisters.jpg

Nah, I suppose big fans like the ones the sisters Judy and Betty there are sporting might be the appropriate accessory when ladies are all covered up head-to-toe like that, Char.

But even YOU have to  admit fans like THOSE wouldn't have been AT ALL appropriate for a lady as skimpily dressed as ANN was in that previous post of mine, RIGHT?!

(...Sally Rand excluded, of course) ;)

sally-rand.jpg

• Like 2

To get back to an earlier period...

In The Old Dark House (1932), Eva Moore (left), says of Gloria Stuart's dress (and I guess this is true of every costume in this thread):

"That's fine stuff, but it'll rot."

600full-the-old-dark-house-screenshot.jp

• Like 3

The second photo (re-posted below) is from ROSWELL, one of my favorite shows from the the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Katherine Heigl later became known for her role on GREY'S ANATOMY, but she'll always be Isabel Evans to me. 

Roswell-Cast-1999-2002-Katherine-Shiri-J

The first photo was from BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER.

Thanks, Holden. :)  Somehow I missed Roswell, maybe another WB show?  I  wouldn't have recognized Katherine Heigl, but can see it a bit.  I loved Buffy.  Mr. Gay D often watched with me, and we were both struck by the writing, wit, superb cast, and overall feeling of the show. The singing episode is one of my favorite hours of TV, ever!

• Like 1

To get back to an earlier period...

In The Old Dark House (1932), Eva Moore (left), says of Gloria Stuart's dress (and I guess this is true of every costume in this thread):

"That's fine stuff, but it'll rot."

600full-the-old-dark-house-screenshot.jp

And Gloria replies:   That black lace shrug does nothing for you either..   :D

• Like 3

Thanks, Holden. :)  Somehow I missed Roswell, maybe another WB show?  I  wouldn't have recognized Katherine Heigl, but can see it a bit.  I loved Buffy.  Mr. Gay D often watched with me, and we were both struck by the writing, wit, superb cast, and overall feeling of the show. The singing episode is one of my favorite hours of TV, ever!

ROSWELL started out on the WB and later moved to UPN.

Here's a tribute video: