Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Speaking of Casablanca...

casablanca.jpg

I love Bogart's classic trench coat and Bergman's Carmen Sandiego type number they wear during the classic airport scene.

CASABLANCA-7.jpg

And of course Bogart's classic white dinner jacket.

• Like 1

Yay, the pic showed up on my feed.  Don't know why it does this sometimes.   Other favs for me-

ent_lgp_tinseltownpic1.jpg

I love the ones you posted though. The color of Gene Kelly's jacket is fantastic and I love Leslie Caron's outfit too.

These are some of my favorites:

An+American+in+Paris+_Toulouse+Lautrec%2

Well of course this one.  The greatest scene in all of An American in Paris, imo ;)

Hmmm... it seems to be hard to find pictures from all the different parts of the ballet.

I love this scene:

american-in-paris.png

And I love the blue/teal dress that she wears in it.

• Like 1

I like the Colonial period costumes by Gwen Wakeling in Drums Along the Mohawk, one of my favorite films.

Drums-Along-the-Mohawk.jpg\

drums_mohawk02.jpg

I love this movie too.  

I read the book in junior high (what we used to call middle school) and it was very good.  Love the movie. So  glad they made it in color.  

• Like 2

I love this movie too.  

I read the book in junior high (what we used to call middle school) and it was very good.  Love the movie. So  glad they made it in color.  

They showed it to us in grade school, and I've loved it ever since. They showed us a movie a month, including All Mine to Give, which sent us home in floods of tears. And they showed us A Star Is Born with Judy Garland -- strange film for kids!

They showed it to us in grade school, and I've loved it ever since. They showed us a movie a month, including All Mine to Give, which sent us home in floods of tears. And they showed us A Star Is Born with Judy Garland -- strange film for kids!

I would think Judy Garland's best for school kids movie to me would be Meet Me in St Louis.  and thanks for the suggestion of the next film.  All of Judy's costumes were nothing short of luscious. 

judy-garland-as-esther-smith-in-meet-me-

Judy-Garland-Meet-Me-in-St-Louis.png

MeetMeInSt.Louis2_.jpg

Judy-Garland-from-Meet-me-in-St-Louis-cl

judy-st.-louis-red-dress.jpg

I hope I caught your favorites.  Irene Sharaff was the designer. 

I bet every girl wanted that red velvet gown for their ball dress. I know I did seeing it even 20 years after the film was released..

• Like 2

I love the costume design in Meet Me in St. Louis! Except for the blue/mustard yellow tassel dress Judy wears during the party where she ends up singing the song with Margaret O'Brien.  I wasn't a fan of that dress.

I love the velvet red dress Judy wears at the last dance.  Except I'd hate to have to wear the corset to get the dress on. 

I also loved Mary Astor's World's Fair dress and hat.  I thought it was the best white gown of any of the ladies.

1zxtv94.jpg

I know many deride this film for being schmaltzy, but I don't care.  I love this film.  I love the music, the costumes, the story, the house, everything.

...clang clang clang went the trolley.... ding ding ding went the bell... zing zing zing went my heartstrings... from the moment I saw him I fell...

• Like 1

One more costume from me from MMISL-  But I post the video of its song because that is what I will always hear when I see it. -and it's great costume in movement.  jazz hands with blue gloves.

I have no problem with others posting a video as well.

I love this song.  One of the great moments in cinema, imo.  It's even more amazing if you read the behind the scenes.  I can't remember where I heard/read this but, apparently Judy was having her usual troubles, missing filming days, falling ill during shooting days, etc.  As a result of her sporadic attendance, she had only gone through the number once before the scheduled filming day.  The scheduled filming day arrives and everyone is nervous because Judy has only gone through the number with the blocking and everything once.  Judy shows up, they start filming and she nails it in one take--that's the take that's in the film too.  I guess if you're only going to show up to work occasionally, you might as well make the days you are there count right?

Lol.  Even though Meet Me in St. Louis is typically one of my Christmas movies... I feel like I need to watch it now.  I think I just might.  Haha.

• Like 1

I love this song.  One of the great moments in cinema, imo.  It's even more amazing if you read the behind the scenes.  I can't remember where I heard/read this but, apparently Judy was having her usual troubles, missing filming days, falling ill during shooting days, etc.  As a result of her sporadic attendance, she had only gone through the number once before the scheduled filming day.  The scheduled filming day arrives and everyone is nervous because Judy has only gone through the number with the blocking and everything once.  Judy shows up, they start filming and she nails it in one take--that's the take that's in the film too.  I guess if you're only going to show up to work occasionally, you might as well make the days you are there count right?

Lol.  Even though Meet Me in St. Louis is typically one of my Christmas movies... I feel like I need to watch it now.  I think I just might.  Haha.

Damn, Judy was as good in a single take as Shirley Temple, and even Bill Robinson would attest to little Shirley's trouper instinct. The only summer costume I could find was that first one, and that blue striped number was her tennis dress!  I was trying to remember if Judy was 19 or 21 when they shot MMISL.  

I wanted to post the girls in their Holloween costumes, but didn't find a suitable photo.

Damn, Judy was as good in a single take as Shirley Temple, and even Bill Robinson would attest to little Shirley's trouper instinct. The only summer costume I could find was that first one, and that blue striped number was her tennis dress!  I was trying to remember if Judy was 19 or 21 when they shot MMISL.  

I wanted to post the girls in their Holloween costumes, but didn't find a suitable photo.

Yes.  I think Judy's talent is the only thing that saved her from being fired off every film and being a has-ran before she was able to make all her greatest films.  I much prefer Judy's adult career to her child actor career.  Her child actor career consists of too much Mickey Rooney; whereas her long distance one features great Hollywood stars like Gene Kelly, James Mason, Mary Astor, Fred Astaire, just to name a few.  I think she was 21 when they shot the film.

I love Judy's blue and white striped dress, especially with her matching blue striped socks!

I also love Lucille Bremer's ivory blouse and taupe skirt that she wears in the beginning of the film where she's waiting for the long-distance phone call from Warren Sheffield and it's a huge family event.

I also loved Judy's robe that she wears when she's dressing for dinner and singing "Meet Me in St. Louis" while dancing around in her bloomers.  

I haven't seen much of Shirley's work, except for I'll Be Seeing You and The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer.  I'm not big on films that feature cutesy precocious little kids, but I feel that seeing Shirley's superstar status, I need to at least see one or two of her films before I make a decision.

I'm watching Meet Me in St. Louis right now.  Judy's got on her ugly blue tassel dress on with the mustard yellow scarf.  

Lol:

Esther: I'm going to let John Truett kiss me tonight

Rose: Esther Smith!

Esther: Well, if we're going to get married, I may as well start it.

Rose: Nice girls don't let men kiss them until after they're engaged. Men don't want the bloom rubbed off.

Esther: Personally, I think I have too much bloom. Maybe that's the trouble with me.

Aren't Esther and Rose only in high school (even though Rose looks much older) ??  Isn't Rose like 17 and Esther 16? Or something? I know that this film takes place in the Victorian Era, I know that women tended to marry young.  This seems to be pushing it though.

I did find a suitable one of Margaret O'Brien;  From Meet Me in St Louis

Meet-Me-in-St-Louis-OBrien.png

Lol.  This is such a strange part of the film.

I love when Margaret O'Brien insists on singing "The Cakewalk" with Judy Garland and Judy tells her that since she's the one who wanted to sing it, she better be good.  Haha.

I'd go to this high school party.  Everyone sits around listening to someone play the trumpet.  Judy Garland comes out and sings Skip to My Lou and provides the party entertainment.  Plus, you get to sit in a beautiful Victorian home. No drunken accidents, people having sex in closed off rooms, no ridiculous drama, no drugs.  It's my kind of party!

• Like 1

Totally smitten with MEET ME IN ST LOUIS. I too love everything about it. I know this is a costume thread, but I am obsessed with their house and want to buy it right now:

3517932344_b0964b30e1.jpg

But just a thought on costumes--love this picture of the girls' Christmas ball gowns:

3519691134_26b2719712.jpg

I love how Rose and Esther are trying WAY too hard in those bold Christmas colors, while Lucille Ballard is in this gorgeous, sophisticated, subtly elegant dress in a champagne color with those chiffon/tulle sleeves and pearls draped across the front. And of course only Lucille's gloves are the correct length. The New Yorker vs the Midwesterners.

• Like 2

Totally smitten with MEET ME IN ST LOUIS. I too love everything about it. I know this is a costume thread, but I am obsessed with their house and want to buy it right now:

But just a thought on costumes--love this picture of the girls' Christmas ball gowns:

I love how Rose and Esther are trying WAY too hard in those bold Christmas colors, while Lucille Ballard is in this gorgeous, sophisticated, subtly elegant dress in a champagne color with those chiffon/tulle sleeves and pearls draped across the front. And of course only Lucille's gloves are the correct length. The New Yorker vs the Midwesterners.

Lol.  I never knew about glove etiquette.  Thank you! I didn't even put two and two together that Rose and Esther were in Christmas colors.  I do love the hues of both of their dresses however.  I always laugh at how the two of them discuss whether or not they can handle 20 men prior to attending the dance. 

I love their house too.  I'm always amazed that when Mr. Smith announces that he wants to move to NYC and Esther (or maybe Rose) laments that they'll have to live in an apartment (or maybe she says tenement) because only the "rich people" in NYC own homes.  Granted, I know the cost of living in NYC might be higher than St. Louis... but look how big and opulent their home in St. Louis is! What do the rich people's homes look like? I mean, they can even afford to have a maid for $12/month!

• Like 1

So glad you mentioned this.  It was all about balance. I was told:

At the wrist for morning to tea time.

In the afternoon, up to the elbow but never to cover it,  holding the bracelet in place and always worn with a bracelet 3/4 sleeve.

(though I don't know for certain what the fashion dictated in 1903 for evening wear). 

Over the elbow if there's a bare arm after dark and the gown to the floor.

So, technically, June Lockhart is cribbing her glove length as well, but being as she's not home but traveled there, polite society would excuse it.  But my Aunts would not agree in a fashion sense with the very short daytime gloves of Ester and Rose. 

• Like 2

Lol.  I never knew about glove etiquette.  Thank you! I didn't even put two and two together that Rose and Esther were in Christmas colors.  I do love the hues of both of their dresses however.  I always laugh at how the two of them discuss whether or not they can handle 20 men prior to attending the dance. 

I love their house too.  I'm always amazed that when Mr. Smith announces that he wants to move to NYC and Esther (or maybe Rose) laments that they'll have to live in an apartment (or maybe she says tenement) because only the "rich people" in NYC own homes.  Granted, I know the cost of living in NYC might be higher than St. Louis... but look how big and opulent their home in St. Louis is! What do the rich people's homes look like? I mean, they can even afford to have a maid for $12/month!

And don't forget the upstairs bath in 1903.  A big deal.   

I have mentioned it before, but I had an ancient thread about Movie houses upon a time.  

• Like 1

I like movies that were set in that period -- I guess you could call it American Edwardian. One of my favorites is The Happy Years, which takes place in New Jersey. There are some nice houses in that. Here's an interior, with Dean Stockwell.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

And don't forget the upstairs bath in 1903.  A big deal.   

I have mentioned it before, but I had an ancient thread about Movie houses upon a time.  

I loved the big stained glass window in the bathroom.

jv3dpz.jpg

• Like 1

I like movies that were set in that period -- I guess you could call it American Edwardian.

This is one of my favorite eras as well. Late Victorian & Edwardian, aka the turn of the century, rock my socks. Well now I have to post some pictures of costumes from 1890ish -1910ish:

ANNE OF AVONLEA:

d7908bf46065cc79237bfa68b369a981.jpgdiana-berrys-going-away-dress-anne-of-av

A ROOM WITH A VIEW:

d396fb2bc4677f3175d523de823847ed.jpglu.pngroom-with-a-view-fiancailles.png

THE GREAT RACE

natalie-race.jpgmarch2013thegreatrace27.png

• Like 2

I guess if I had to pick my five favorite movies, Age of Innocence (1993) would be one of them. Wonderful story and adaptation of the novel, great acting, and design that meticulously recreates the New York City of the 1870s.  

AO33_150.jpg

Alexis Smith looks lovely in her last role, and is perfectly dressed and coiffed for the period, as is Michael Gough.

d0127934_13162323.jpgage81.jpgthe_age-of-innocence1.jpgThe-Age-of-Innocence--a.jpg

• Like 1