Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Earnest ?

mrroberts

I usually find myself as an apologist for TCM policies and conduct, but really, doesn't anyone proof read this stuff?  Right up front I enter this site and am greeted with "Earnest" Borgnine  ,its "Ernest" . At least we got the "Borgnine" spelling right. :P  Don't want to make too big a deal here, and I have to believe that Ernie would just laugh it off but it does show that we need some more vigilant spell checkers and fact checkers here.

Right you are.  Do not apologize for your spellingvigilance.  These are times when people spell names any which way they wish...to HELL with what's right, or traditional.  EXAMPLES:

I have a niece named KARLEE, instead of CARLY.  I have a nephew named KALEB, instead of CALEB!  My wife's name is Alicia.  Now, SHE'S always pronounced it "Ah-LEE- See-Ya!".  Which is how I pronounce it.  Her sisters and others in the family call her "Alice" because she thought, when she was young and dumb, that her given name sounded too "ethnic" ( she's Mexican by heritage, although born in America). So she wanted to be called something LESS "hispanic", even though the name is Germanic in origin! Now, SOME people with that name pronounce it "Ah-LEESH-ah".  And I've seen THAT spelled many a varied way:  "ALEISHA", "ALEYSHAH",  "AyLEESHAH"  Every way but CORRECT!

Stick to your guns, Mrroberts!

Sepiatone

We  can also add the way Bob says "Ty-RONE" Power and Ann "Davorak", instead of "TY-rone"  Power and Ann "Vor-shak", which is the way she pronounced her name herself.  Not that it's any big deal, and in fact in a way it almost adds to TCM's down home flavor.

Well personally, I always wondered why back in the day that seasick sea serpent's name was always pronounced "SEE-cell", and yet that balding old guy who directed all those big overblown epics back in the day is called "SESS-sell"???

I usually find myself as an apologist for TCM policies and conduct, but really, doesn't anyone proof read this stuff?  Right up front I enter this site and am greeted with "Earnest" Borgnine  ,its "Ernest" . At least we got the "Borgnine" spelling right. :P  Don't want to make too big a deal here, and I have to believe that Ernie would just laugh it off but it does show that we need some more vigilant spell checkers and fact checkers here.

And just a guess here Mr.R, but maybe the TCM employee responsible for misspelling Ernie's name is a big fan of one of Oscar Wilde's plays???

(...and was just thinkin' about the..ahem.."importance" of it all) 

Well personally, I always wondered why back in the day that seasick sea serpent's name was always pronounced "SEE-cell", and yet that balding old guy who directed all those big overblown epics back in the day is called "SESS-sell"???

That's probably because Beany's SEE-sill (not SEE-cell)  was from America rather than from "Jolly Old".  He also didn't cut up his anchovies with an "alyuminium" knife.

424778-fc368.jpg

That's probably because Beany's SEE-sill (not SEE-cell)  was from America rather than from "Jolly Old".  He also didn't cut up his anchovies with an "alyuminium" knife.

Wait now, Andy! DeMille wasn't from Jolly OLD England. He was born in NEW England...Massachusetts to be exact.

I agree with the spelling issues.  I think it makes a company look unprofessional to have glaring spelling errors.  Perhaps TCM's spell check didn't catch it because "earnest" is a real word after all; but obviously it shows that someone wasn't actually proofreading.  I would think that the author would have Borgnine's correctly spelled name up in front of them somewhere? Ernest isn't exactly an uncommon name.  Listening to Pandora yesterday, there was a song called "Rhythm of the Rain" (I think?) and it was spelled "Rythm of the Rain" from the album "Rythm of the Rain." The word "Rhythm" was spelled correctly in the thumbnail of the album cover on Pandora.  I found that amusing but also thought "Come on Pandora.  Get it together."  Even for posts on this message board, which don't exactly have to convey any level of professionalism, I try to write correctly with proper spelling and punctuation.

Speaking of misspelled or mispronounced names, my name is Kayla.  It's pronounced how it looks: Kay-la.  It's not exactly an uncommon name.  All throughout school, every year, semester, class, etc. I would have some teacher pronounce my name "Ky-la." At work, I have to sign for a lot of freight and the carrier will ask my name.  I'll tell them my name and half the time when I see the proof of delivery information he/she's entered, my name will be spelled "Kyla," "Kalya," "Karla," "Cayla," the list goes on.  I've spent at least 25 years of my life correcting people on my name.  It'll never end. 

Wait now, Andy! DeMille wasn't from Jolly OLD England. He was born in NEW England...Massachusetts to be exact.

I was only addressing the question of Beany's pal Seesil.  I'll let Sessel fend for himself. 

I was only addressing the question of Beany's pal Seesil.  I'll let Sessel fend for himself. 

Well, I guess it's too bad Cecil is long gone and thus can't fend for himself.

(...and after what I heard John Ford once told the guy during a Directors Guild meeting, I doubt HE would help fend for Cecil if HE were still around TOO!!!) ;)

... Listening to Pandora yesterday, there was a song called "Rhythm of the Rain" (I think?) and it was spelled "Rythm of the Rain" from the album "Rythm of the Rain." The word "Rhythm" was spelled correctly in the thumbnail of the album cover on Pandora.  I found that amusing but also thought "Come on Pandora.  Get it together." 

Who's Pandora? And does she have anything to do with Louise Brooks?

And here MY first thought when she wrote "Pandora" was...

tumblr_m7s9vniuxM1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

(...not that Louise wasn't a hot little number TOO back in the day, of course)

On the subject on errors and Pandora and Louise Brooks, I see that the error in TCM's article on PANDORA'S BOX that I first mentioned on August 12 has not yet been corrected.

I created a topic entitled "Error in Article on PANDORA'S BOX" specifically addressing this.

Here, TCM board staff, is the text from that post:

Although not egregious, there is an error in TCM's article on PANDORA'S BOX.

Henri Langlois is incorrectly referred to as Andre Langlois.

It makes me wonder if the author was dictating the article and "Henri" (pronounced "AHN-REE") was transcribed as "Andre."

Here is the excerpt that contains the error, with the error in bold:

Although she went broke, at one time working as a salesgirl in a Manhattan department store, and never worked in film during the last 47 years of her life (1906-1985), Brooks had the last laugh twice over, wittily skewering Hollywood's ruling philistines in her autobiographical essay collection, Lulu in Hollywood, after having enjoyed belated worldwide acclaim, launched by the critic Lotte Eisner, Andre Langlois' Louise Brooks revival series at the Paris Cinematheque, and above all James Card's ongoing supportiveness at Eastman House in Rochester.

"Pandora's Box" is from Greek mythology.  In its physical form it's a jar that contains all the world's evils.  Metaphorically it relates to the Lulu character in the Louise Brooks film of the same name, one of the great movies of the ages.

640px-Pandora_opening_her_box_by_James_G

crit%20pandora%20box%20louise%20brooks%2

Pandora is an online radio station website where you can listen to genre specific radio stations; or have stations built around specific artists or songs that you like.  For example, you could make a Rolling Stones station, and while it'll play the Stones, it'll also play artists similar to them as well.  In the case of yesterday with the twice misspelled rhythm, I was listening to an "Oldies" station.

Pandora is an online radio station website where you can listen to genre specific radio stations; or have stations built around specific artists or songs that you like.  For example, you could make a Rolling Stones station, and while it'll play the Stones, it'll also play artists similar to them as well.  In the case of yesterday with the twice misspelled rhythm, I was listening to an "Oldies" station.

grumpy-old-man.jpg

"Oh you kids today with all this "online" stuff! Why, when I WAS a kid all we had was an old RCA AM radio...and WE LIKED IT!"

grumpy-old-man.jpg

"Oh you kids today with all this "online" stuff! Why, when I WAS a kid all we had was an old RCA AM radio...and WE LIKED IT!"

Haha.  If it makes it any better, I do own three collections of old radio shows on CASSETTE that I listen to occassionally, often when camping.  One time, I made my friends (who also like old films, history, and the like) and my husband listen to "War of the Worlds." We turned off the lights except for some flickering candles and drank old timey cocktails and smoked cigars.  It was quite a fun night.

• Like 1

Haha.  If it makes it any better, I do own three collections of old radio shows on CASSETTE that I listen to occassionally, often when camping.  One time, I made my friends (who also like old films, history, and the like) and my husband listen to "War of the Worlds." We turned off the lights except for some flickering candles and drank old timey cocktails and smoked cigars.  It was quite a fun night.

And then you all puked into the spittoons. B)

"Pandora's Box" is from Greek mythology.  In its physical form it's a jar that contains all the world's evils.  Metaphorically it relates to the Lulu character in the Louise Brooks film of the same name, one of the great movies of the ages.

Andy, baby, some kind of hubris compels me to respond here. I thank you for your information, but - here's the hubris part - I already knew all that. I am pretty familiar with Greek mythology, and certainly well-versed in the story of Pandora's Box. I've also seen the G. W. Pabst film, which is of course why I referred to Louise Brooks in my question.

Sorry, I hope this doesn't sound "snooty" or anything. I'm one of those (obnoxious?) people who dislikes being told things I already know - I figure everybody here knows the ancient Greek story, and got all bent out of shape at your assumption that I did not.

Oh well, how were you to know that I already knew those things? (Well, except for the direct allusion I make to the film.)

Actually, I figured speedracer was talking about some kind of music- a programme, or a band, or singer or something. So her detailed reply satisfied my curiosity.

Again, I know you were just being helpful. But, of course I already knew both the myth and the Pabst film.

Andy, baby, some kind of hubris compels me to respond here. I thank you for your information, but - here's the hubris part - I already knew all that. I am pretty familiar with Greek mythology, and certainly well-versed in the story of Pandora's Box. I've also seen the G. W. Pabst film, which is of course why I referred to Louise Brooks in my question.

Sorry, I hope this doesn't sound "snooty" or anything. I'm one of those (obnoxious?) people who dislikes being told things I already know - I figure everybody here knows the ancient Greek story, and got all bent out of shape at your assumption that I did not.

Sorry, I was perhaps just being overly literalminded  in reading your question when I shouldn't have been, and I'm glad I was mistaken in my assumption.

OTOH anytime I have an excuse to post a pic of my favorite silent actress I'll always seize the opportunity.

diary_of_a_lost_girl_002.jpg

Again, I know you were just being helpful. But, of course I already knew both the myth and the Pabst film.

Aaah, but did you know Mr. Pabst ALSO won a Blue Ribbon for his film JUST like he did for his beer???

(...uh-huh, SEE?!...betcha didn't know THAT, now did ya, smarty pants!!!) ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings