Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ernie Borgnine interview.

mrroberts

I am glad I caught the Robert Osborne interview of Ernie (Ernest)  Borgnine earlier this evening, I have seen it before (when it first aired I believe) but its worth seeing multiple times. I can't imagine anyone giving a more candid and entertaining interview then Mr  Borgnine. . I am so glad that we got this done while he was still with us (God bless you Ernie !  ) , and I hope TCM will pursue other veteran performers that are still out there , and  they don't have to necessarily be "big" name stars. Many supporting character actor types are still around and I am sure they could give us some great insights into the "classic" films that we all love so well.

• Like 3

One actor who I really would like to see TCM get for an interview, and to have him  pick 3 or 4 films for a night would be David McCallum.  David would be a wonderful guest to chat with  RO, very intelligent and insightful. I'm sure David would pick some interesting movies.  Anyone else have a "veteran" performer out there you would like to see on TCM  (and TCM, please hurry, the clock is ticking for many of us).

I'll second that idea of "Mr. Roberts" for an interview with David McCallum.  In fact Robert Vaughn would also be an interesting subject for one as well.  Since Arlene Dahl is a SUTS subject this year. get Polly Bergen or her to talk about how their film and TV careers lead to their business ventures. 

As with James Garner, what a great way this was to remember Ernie.  Thanks, TCM!

I would like to think that if I had ever met Mr Borgnine and had a conversation, he would have preferred "Ernie".  Just like I would have wanted to address "Eddie" Robinson.

Then I suppose keeping in this vein of informality, you also wouldn't have minded them calling you "Doug" right back, eh Mr. R?! ;)

Only my closest friends may call me Doug , like Pulver and "Doc" Powell.

Yeah, but didn't you also allow Lt. Girard(no, not Lt. Gerard who was always hounding Dr. Kimble, I'm talkin' the head nurse who came to visit The Reluctant that one time) call you "Doug" TOO? ;)

Yeah, but didn't you also allow Lt. Girard(no, not Lt. Gerard who was always hounding Dr. Kimble, I'm talkin' the head nurse who came to visit The Reluctant that one time) call you "Doug" TOO? ;)

Due to highly sensitive cargo security concerns Lt. Girard and I use special code names when we address each other.  No one else (especially Pulver) knows of these things.

The tribute site for Edward G Robinson that is run by his granddaughter is titled "Eddie".    Some  people must have referred to him in that way.

His real name was Emanuel, and I've heard that people called him "Manny". As far as providing a % breakdown of those who called him "Manny" vs. those who called him 'Eddie", that would be a no-go for me.

I did some referring to my copy of Robinson's auto biography. In it he discusses the conflicted feelings he always had about changing his name (in his own words necessary to pursue his career as an actor). Once he became "Edward G Robinson"  (the G. is an acknowledgment of his given name Goldenberg) that for all intents became his name. Only family and friends from his youth may have still referred to him as "Manny" .  Edward G Robinson is what is on his grave marker.

I did some referring to my copy of Robinson's auto biography. In it he discusses the conflicted feelings he always had about changing his name (in his own words necessary to pursue his career as an actor). Once he became "Edward G Robinson"  (the G. is an acknowledgment of his given name Goldenberg) that for all intents became his name. Only family and friends from his youth may have still referred to him as "Manny" .  Edward G Robinson is what is on his grave marker.

I think there were many other actors who were still called personally by their real first names after they became stars. Lauren Bacall (Betty) and Tony Curtis (Bernie) may have been two of them.

I think there were many other actors who were still called personally by their real first names after they became stars. Lauren Bacall (Betty) and Tony Curtis (Bernie) may have been two of them.

I would think most family members and friends that knew the actor before the name change would continue to use the name they were use to and that the actor would want it that way.   

If my sister was Bacall and asked me to call her Lauren,  I would laugh at her and call her Betty until one of us bit the dust.  (but of course Betty remained Betty to those that knew her well).

I would think most family members and friends that knew the actor before the name change would continue to use the name they were use to and that the actor would want it that way.   

If my sister was Bacall and asked me to call her Lauren,  I would laugh at her and call her Betty until one of us bit the dust.  (but of course Betty remained Betty to those that knew her well).

Reminds me of me. I invented the name "Hal" when I started college. Anyone who knew me prior to that, and there are hardly any that I still see, is resistant to that name.

Reminds me of me. I invented the name "Hal" when I started college. Anyone who knew me prior to that, and there are hardly any that I still see, is resistant to that name.

I assume you didn't demand or even want,  your mother and father and other family members to call you 'Hal'.  

Was this college far from where you were born and therefor it was unlikely for you to be in a group of people that would call you both names?    That is when such a name change can get strange (especially if the names are a lot different).

Note that in business situations people often call me Jim.   I correct them but if I rarely see these people (say a sales guy I saw once per year),  I'm often still Jim to them.   Oh well.       

I assume you didn't demand or even want,  your mother and father and other family members to call you 'Hal'.  

Was this college far from where you were born and therefor it was unlikely for you to be in a group of people that would call you both names?    That is when such a name change can get strange (especially if the names are a lot different).

Note that in business situations people often call me Jim.   I correct them but if I rarely see these people (say a sales guy I saw once per year),  I'm often still Jim to them.   Oh well.       

I was the only one from my high school that went to this college, and from the start of college on, I was associating mostly with a whole different group of people. I never really went back to the 'hood.