Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Genre Forums?

mrroberts

Just curious as to how many people even bother to go down into the lower forums to check out postings there?   Its almost a ghost town down there, I wonder if its even worth going down there anymore?

I go down to check it out once in a while, usually to find my post of weeks ago is often the last. It would be nice if the categories appeared alphabetically.

I don't usually do it everyday, but there are three or four that I try to look at at least once a week or so. I rarely check all of them, but every once a while I try to just to see what's going on, if anything. I think most people have discovered that they'll get more and quicker responses from the more general boards than more limited genre boards. I find that true on other sites too.

I go down to check it out once in a while, usually to find my post of weeks ago is often the last.

Me too. I wish there was more participation there....it would keep General Discussions more open for real general discussions. 

But kudos to the administrators who now bump those "what's this movie?" threads from GenDisc to Information Please subgroup. It definitely helps.

I don't usually do it everyday, but there are three or four that I try to look at at least once a week or so. I rarely check all of them, but every once a while I try to just to see what's going on, if anything. I think most people have discovered that they'll get more and quicker responses from the more general boards than more limited genre boards. I find that true on other sites too.

I agree.  Maybe it's just my instant gratification tendencies, but I don't like the idea of having to visit multiple pages in order to find interesting topics, some of which will be on particular genres.

Of course the way the forums were set up until the last change, you could see other umbrella pages like "Hot Topics" and "Films and Filmmakers"  in an easily visible column at the right hand side of the page, making it much easier to navigate in and out of "General Discussions".  The new format makes it nowhere near as intuitively easy to do this, and that may well contribute to the problem that genre threads not under "General Discussions" have in attracting  visitors.

Me too. I wish there was more participation there....it would keep General Discussions more open for real general discussions.

But what exactly is a "General Discussion"?  Each of us almost certainly has his or her own ideas about what topics should or shouldn't fall into that category, and trying to define it too narrowly will likely cause more problems than it solves.

Just curious as to how many people even bother to go down into the lower forums to check out postings there?   Its almost a ghost town down there, I wonder if its even worth going down there anymore?

I use the 'view new content' so if there is new content about a genre I'm interested in,  I'll see it and comment if 'necessary'.   But yea,  not a lot of new content.

But what exactly is a "General Discussion"?  Each of us almost certainly has his or her own ideas about what topics should or shouldn't fall into that category

Well, today in GD there's 2 threads titled FLAMINGO ROAD that should be in FILMS & FILMMAKERS because they are a discussion about a FILM. A thread titled BILLY WILDER should also go in FILMS & FILMMAKERS as it would be a discussion about a filmmaker.

But say you want to discuss musicals, or film noir genres-THOSE sub boards are gone-whoosh! So any discussion about the genre as a whole would appropriately go in Gen Disc.

Most everything else in GenDisc today fits the title. As I stated earlier though, the administrators are doing a much better job moving inquiring threads over to INFORMATION PLEASE where they belong.

I think the biggest problem with general sub boards like YOUR FAVORITES and FILMS & FILMMAKERS are the glut of vanity threads that do not invite discussion at all. (although I'm glad they're not taking up space in GenDisc!)

If those sub boards were more open to real discussion, threads like the Jean Harlow one would bring more traffic to YOUR FAVORITES since that's really most appropriate for it.

And Andy, you find it tough to navigate to the forums? I really like that on the main message board page there is TCM PROGRAMS with sub board links listed so you can go directly to them.

I miss the sub boards of genres like horror, musicals, westerns, etc. for serious in depth discussions. These have been replaced by DVD REVIEWS, PROGRAM CHALLENGE and OFF TOPIC. Although I don't care for the first two, I love OFF TOPIC.....while I'm sure there's many who feel the reverse of what I do.

Genre sub-forums are STILL here:  ?????

Westerns

• 666 topics
  • 17,855 replies

photo-thumb-8711.jpg?_r=1399436602

f_icon.png Film Noir--Gangster

• 607 topics
  • 11,684 replies

photo-thumb-41499.jpg?_r=1408958192

f_icon.png Pre-Code Films

• 282 topics
  • 4,491 replies

photo-thumb-31824.jpg?_r=1396912065

f_icon_read.pngCult Films

• 201 topics
  • 787 replies

photo-thumb-36222.jpg?_r=1396644610

f_icon.png Silent

• 1,130 topics
  • 13,299 replies

photo-thumb-38616.jpg?_r=1407806826

...for example  :unsure:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings