Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another day to look forward to: Dick Powell!

slaytonf

He also made an impression with Marion Davies in the two films they did together. In fact, Davies developed a mad crush on Powell during filming and her paramour Hearst was not too happy about it. HEARTS DIVIDED, the second collaboration, will air on TCM in mid-November. It's worth a look!

I'll keep an eye out for it!

At first your post kind of bugged me but I believe you are making a valid point (and your joke about miusical fans is very funny given the actor of the topic is Dick Powell).   Now I'm one of those noir enthusiast but I can see where "noir nuts" like myself could overrate a standard noir type film over a film from another genre that that is of higher quality  (or a movie that makes a more lasting impression).

But at least when I do this I only do it with noir films.   If I start doing this with 50s low budget Sci-fi films, shoot me! 

I love noir, but I also enjoy most movie genres.  I don't judge an actor's career by the number of noirs he/she made (it always amazes me when I see comments here along the lines of "I might've liked Greta Garbo/Norma Shearer/fill in the name' more if she had done some noirs).  In my mind I think of the viewers who overwhelmingly prefer noir as looking at the classic film world with "venetian blind slatted glasses".

I love noir, but I also enjoy most movie genres.  I don't judge an actor's career by the number of noirs he/she made (it always amazes me when I see comments here along the lines of "I might've liked Greta Garbo/Norma Shearer/fill in the name' more if she had done some noirs).  In my mind I think of the viewers who overwhelmingly prefer noir as looking at the classic film world with "venetian blind slatted glasses".

It is understandable that people tend to judge talent based only on what they have experienced (a common debate I have with guitar players that only listen to rock guitar players when we have a 'who is best' type of discussion).

Of course the above is very obvious but still something I believe people forget when judging talent.  For example,  I wasn't a fan of Greer Garson,  but that was silly for me to say since I really haven't seen many Garson films.   After Garson was SOTM,  I changed my POV.   While I would still list period films as one of my least favorite genres,   I was still very impressed by Garson in the period films she made as well as her films in other genres. 

Well, I guess to me that's better than looking at a fantasy world of  hoop skirts and cotillion balls.  But to each his own.

OTOH when I say I would like an actor / actress better if he / she had played in more noirs or other contemporary dramas, that doesn't mean I'm knocking the actor's / actress's talent.  It only means that I don't care for the genres that they were usually cast in.  I hope you can see the difference.

To take one example, Norma Shearer was terrific in many of her silent and pre-code films, but once the Breen code took the starch out of her, she lost much of her appeal to me.  But I don't assume that she'd forgotten how to act. 

And I do like some musicals and Westerns.  Just not that many of them.

• Like 1