Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any ideas who will be December's SOTM?

TopBilled

They usually pick someone who is very well-known to movie audiences for the December tribute.  And it seems to be stars that have been honored before. In fact, we have to go all the way back to 2008 to find a selection that is slightly out of the box:

08: Joseph Cotten

09: Humphrey Bogart (second time)

10: Mickey Rooney (second time)

11: William Powell (second time)

12: Barbara Stanwyck (second time)

13: Fred Astaire (second time)

So who will it be?

14: ___________________

Assuming that the December SOTM honoree will be a very well-known performer and repeat honoree, my guess is Frank Sinatra; he has not been SOTM since May 2008, and he is certainly among the most  well-known performers in the history of show business.

• Like 1

Assuming that the December SOTM honoree will be a very well-known performer and repeat honoree, my guess is Frank Sinatra; he has not been SOTM since May 2008, and he is certainly among the most  well-known performers in the history of show business.

I could live with that selection. At least he varied his film roles a bit more than other stars of his ilk. Plus it would be fun to see some of his early movie work at RKO.

Clark Gable hasn't been SOTM since November of 2004, so if they have to pick a Big Brand Name, he'd be a logical choice, and not a bad one.  Just PLEASE don't inflict Gary Cooper on us. bleh.gif

I don't think it will be Coop, do you? Gable would work if they showed some of his later films at Paramount one of the nights honored-- like TEACHER'S PET with Doris Day. Has that film ever been shown on TCM? I certainly don't remember seeing it.

Clark Gable hasn't been SOTM since November of 2004, so if they have to pick a Big Brand Name, he'd be a logical choice, and not a bad one.  Just PLEASE don't inflict Gary Cooper on us. bleh.gif

I wouldn't mind Gary Cooper if they showed some of the Paramount films, including the surrealist masterpiece Peter Ibbetson. Has TCM ever showed Cooper's Shirley Temple film, Now and Forever?  

I don't think it will be Coop, do you? Gable would work if they showed some of his later films at Paramount one of the nights honored-- like TEACHER'S PET with Doris Day. Has that film ever been shown on TCM? I certainly don't remember seeing it.

MOVIES is showing Teacher's Pet so maybe they have the rights tied up right now.   But TCM and MOVIES have been showing a lot more of the same movies in the last 2 months or so.  e.g. right now they are showing 3 Days of the Condor which TCM just showed when Faye was featured as part of SUTS. 

I'd be happy with the Clark Gable or Frank Sinatra selection. I

Some others I'd be happy with:

Rita Hayworth

William Holden

Lucille Ball

Olivia de Havilland

Edward G Robinson

I agree that EGR would be a good choice. I have a feeling that someone like Elizabeth Taylor has a chance of being repeated-- because she was in the Technicolor remake of LITTLE WOMEN which always airs in December on TCM. And for some strange reason, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF also airs around Christmastime each year. 

I agree that EGR would be a good choice. I have a feeling that someone like Elizabeth Taylor has a chance of being repeated-- because she was in the Technicolor remake of LITTLE WOMEN which always airs in December on TCM. And for some strange reason, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF also airs around Christmastime each year. 

That's strange that "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" airs around Christmastime.  Maybe all the yelling and screaming reminds people of their own holiday celebrations.  Lol.  (That's not the case in my house, btw)

I wouldn't mind Elizabeth Taylor.  While I'm not a fan of this version of "Little Women," I would like to see more of Taylor's adult roles.  Granted, I know that a lot of them air all the time, but I always seem to miss them.  'Virginia Woolf' is a film I always seem to miss.  I'd also like to see Suddenly, Last Summer, A Place in the Sun, Raintree County, just to name a few.

That's strange that "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" airs around Christmastime.  Maybe all the yelling and screaming reminds people of their own holiday celebrations.  Lol.  (That's not the case in my house, btw)

Yes, I think that is precisely why the programmers schedule it at that time. 

I think December could be a good time to choose Fred MacMurray.  He has quite a few films that would fit in nicely with the holiday season.

I also wouldn't mind Claudette Colbert; but seeing that she just had a SUTS day, she probably won't be selected. 

Yes. REMEMBER THE NIGHT is a perfect example.

Agreed.  I'd be interested in seeing more of his collaborations with Stanwyck and Colbert as well.  I haven't seen Remember the Night, I'd be interested in seeing that as well.  It's nice to be able to add new films to my list of holiday films I watch annually.  

• Like 1

Isn't December 2015 the 100th anniversary of Sinatra's birth? Next December would be a good time to honor Sinatra again.
  • Like 1

For some reason I always think that Lionel Barrymore would be a good choice for December, but that may just be because of It's a Wonderful Life, and TCM isn't going to get the rights to that. I can't stop thinking he'd be a good choice anyway, with plenty of rarities vs. filler.

I'd also like to see Alec Guinness, and Robert Donat celebrated sometime, the latter only having about 20 films in all, and it's likely all of them would get shown, many of the for the first time, probably.

For some reason I always think that Lionel Barrymore would be a good choice for December, but that may just be because of It's a Wonderful Life, and TCM isn't going to get the rights to that. I can't stop thinking he'd be a good choice anyway, with plenty of rarities vs. filler.

I'd also like to see Alec Guinness, and Robert Donat celebrated sometime, the latter only having about 20 films in all, and it's likely all of them would get shown, many of the for the first time, probably.

Re: Barrymore, The Devil Doll does have some Christmas ambience, and we get to see Lionel in drag! 

Robert Donat would be a great choice too. His final performance -- as the Mandarin of Yang Cheng in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness -- was particularly moving. He was very sick at the time of filming. He and Ingrid Bergman knew he would not live much longer.  His last lines in the film: ‘It is time to go, old friends. Stay here … for a little. It will comfort me as I leave to know it. We shall not see each other again, I think. Farewell."   A character's farewell; and an actor's farewell to his audience.  He died shortly after the film was finished.

Re: Barrymore, The Devil Doll does have some Christmas ambience, and we get to see Lionel in drag! 

Robert Donat would be a great choice too. His final performance -- as the Mandarin of Yang Cheng in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness -- was particularly moving. He was very sick at the time of filming. He and Ingrid Bergman knew he would not live much longer.  His last lines in the film: ‘It is time to go, old friends. Stay here … for a little. It will comfort me as I leave to know it. We shall not see each other again, I think. Farewell."   A character's farewell; and an actor's farewell to his audience.  He died shortly after the film was finished.

Donat would be perfect for a SUTS tribute where only a dozen films would be needed. He is certainly worthy of the honor. He's brilliant in THE CITADEL as well as THE INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS, which you mentioned.

Donat would be perfect for a SUTS tribute where only a dozen films would be needed. He is certainly worthy of the honor. He's brilliant in THE CITADEL as well as THE INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS, which you mentioned.

And to think that, if he were alive today, he would not be allowed to play that part, in which he excelled so movingly!

Not be allowed to play which part? And why not? (are you talking about IOTSH, because it would call for an Asian actor?)

Yes, it would be unlikely for Donat to be cast as the Mandarin of Yang Cheng in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness.

How about Anthony Perkins? I've always believed his movie career had two distinct phases -- before "Psycho" and after "Psycho." In the first phase, he appears to have played romantic leads or impressionable young men facing tough choices, including Jimmy Piersall in "Fear Strikes Out" (1957). In the second phase, he seems to have become typecast as creepy or strangely offbeat characters. He even reprised the Norman Bates role twice onscreen in the 1980s and once in a 1990 TV movie. Maybe my "two phases" theory is incorrect, but I'd love to see his career played out each week on TCM!

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings